To Fridge or not to Fridge - that is the question
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CW

City/Region: Kalama
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: Satisfaction
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting thread and a decision I've been mulling over too. It sounds like we'll be getting a fridge in the reboat... it sounds so civilized.

Now, I do know about ice chests. We learned long ago that it is the soaking in water that ruins food NOT the fact that it was inadequately cooled. So we don't use ice (loose). I use plastic milk jugs filled with water and frozen or better, use 1 gallon orange juice jugs (sturdier, more durable plastic). Food stays cool and dry. If the jug is washed out thoroughly beforehand, the result is drinkable water as it melts too, reducing the need for extra water jugs elsewhere. When we send home guests with salmon steaks, it is an easy matter to put the vacuum sealed fish in a doubled up paper bag with a gallon of ice and they are good to travel for hours and hours; it's cheap, disposable, dry, and so effective they've never complained yet. C.W.

Dora~Jean

City/Region: Simi Valley
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Dora~Jean
Photos: Dora~Jean
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I agree with your analysis El and Bill, except you forgot one thing. All that extra weight of the refrig, power panel, generator and extra gas has an advantage -- it weighs down the bottom of the boat for more stability (although at a fuel loss of some mpg... Sad ).

Seriously, if my trips weren't generally for 3-4 days or less, I'd consider one also. Who knows, maybe if/when I'm ever able to retire, they'll have 'fuel cells' or something and it'll run off of salt water and a solar panel!

Corsair F-31 Trimaran 1996-2002
MacGregor 26X 1988-1996
Glaspar Seafair Sedan 18 (2)
StarCraft 19 & 22
Catalina 17 & 22
Crestliner 19
+4 Previous, 1/2 sail, 1/2 power
helm

City/Region: Medford
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Chack Chack
Photos: Chack Chack
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, but wait,if you use a bag of ice every day, or a block of ice every couple of days very quickly you have paid for the fridge.
The motors running why not use the amps.
Dora~Jean

City/Region: Simi Valley
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Dora~Jean
Photos: Dora~Jean
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helm,

I agree with using the motors, that is IF you use the motors everyday. We tend to stay put for 24-72 hrs usually. So if you don't already own a generator, add that to the expense of a refrig. I freeze my own ice (in 1 gallon jugs), so cost is nil, they last 4 days. A 10lb block of ice sufficient for a medium size ice chest, costs $5-7 at most stores. As others have said, all depends on where you go, how long you stay and how often you move! Decisions, decisions...

Last edited by Dora~Jean on Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:16 am; edited 1 time in total
helm

City/Region: Medford
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: Chack Chack
Photos: Chack Chack
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have faced the same problem with engine driven cold plates when we were long distance cruising. In a beautiful anchorage in Huanine or a Hunga or in Cuba and running the engine for an hour twice a day to charge batteries and try to cool off the dumpster - its simply annoying not to mention expensive when you are paying for diesel by the liter or gas at over $3 per gallon . It seems that if you you are are running the boat daily the fridge might make sense, and the positive nods are overwhelming. It would be best if there was a chest fridge type solution esolution for the CD-25. But remember you paid to make the ice, no matter if it was in your fridge or it was a death march with your kids to Vahine to try to find a few bags, or you think it just happened to fall over the hoover dam.
Discovery

City/Region: LOA, UTAH
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Discovery
Photos: Discovery
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On Discovery we have the Norcold refrigerator and a Weco Fridge/Freezer. They are both hooked to the port battery bank (two D34 Exide Orbital batteries). The batteries are recharged by the port motor, also by solar panels on the cabin roof. I also have a charge line from the truck to the port battery bank. When we travel with the boat, we turn on the fridge and the Waeco when we leave home, and they run 24/7 until we return. Last winter that was from Dec. 25th until the middle of March. Occasionally we have to run our Honda 2000 if there has been a few days of heavy cloud cover, while on the hook. I admit that the fridge, freezer and solar panels have added close to $2,000.00 to the cost of the TomCat, but sure make it nice for cruising. We never have to find the next place to buy ice.

We use the boat as a camper and live in it as we travel across the country-like "Wild Blue", Jim and Joan.

Brent and Dixie,
1984 22' Classic sold 2003
2003 24' TomCat sold 2005
2006 TC255 Discovery Sold 2020
2006 CD 22' Angler Sold 2014
https://share.delorme.com/FBrentBetenson
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms." ~ Thomas Jefferson
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the idea of solar panels; unfortunately, here in the land of rain and gloom, we do not get enough light, let alone sunny days, for solar panels to be worth much...anybody disagree with that?

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

CW

Vessel Name: Satisfaction
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll disagree. I put one solar panel on the roof of my boat and love it. I fish close to the marina on the Columbia River and so the motor doesn't run long for charging batteries. When I fish, it is anchored for 3-6 hours with the motor off, the cd stereo on and the depth finder on and with some running of the bilge pump. After three days of fishing, the big block 460 would struggle to start. Since I put on my solar panel and overcharge protector ($125 total, from Cabelas), I haven't had to use the charger on my batteries except for during the deepest winter when there are long periods of inactivity. They work great and I'm considering having two or more on any boat I have in the future considering more draw-down from refrigerators, radar, Wallas fan etc. [And they're QUIET] CW
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pat,

We had a large solar panel on our trimaran... and only a 4 amp charger from the alternator, so the panel was our main source of keeping the battery topped off. In sunny south Texas, it was never a problem, but we would see a marked drop in efficiency if there was any kind of shadow (like from a shroud) on the panel. I would think that 6 months of overcast with the occasional "sunbreaks" wouldn't put much juice in there. BTW, no fridge on that boat; so we had done the cooler thing for years before getting the C-Dory... yeah, we like it better with the fridge. Cool

Keep in mind, if you mount solar panels on the roof, you lose your dingy storage up there. Brent's solar set-up on Discovery is outstanding, but he doesn't use a camperback and built a rack for his dinghy over his motors. That would be tough to do on our 25s.
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JamesTXSD wrote:
<stuff clipped>
Keep in mind, if you mount solar panels on the roof, you lose your dingy storage up there. <stuff clipped>

You just need a clear dinghy.

mikeporterinmd

State or Province: MD
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Shelly IV
Photos: Shelly-IV
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How flexible are the solar panels these days? Could they be put over
the dink when it is on top.

OTOH, does it even matter? Most times when the dink is on the roof,
the engine is running.

Mmmm...might have to revisit the whole fridge/cooler thing. Need to
change out one of the grp 24 bats for a pair of either grp 27 or 31.
At least phase one of the system is in place: the AC charger.

Mike
oldgrowth

City/Region: Rochester
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Voyager
Photos: C-Voyager
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is another option for those of you that do not want to spend 400 to 600 dollars for a frig.

This Igloo 12v cooler

or this Coleman 12v cooler

Both run on 110v or 12v

I have used the Igloo 12v cooler for more than 15 years. It is not the same as a real refer but will keep things cool/cold. They run all the time and will cool things down 40 degrees below the ambient temperature. It will not make ice but I fill a few baggies with ice cubes and it helps bring the inside temperature down in hot weather (over 85 degrees) and I have ice for my beverages. The ice cubes have lasted for five days for me.

I have one group 29 house battery. However, I have not tested it to see how long the battery would last with it on. Theoretically, it should last about 24 hours. I generally run my generator after 12 hours, if the engine has not been started.

They are insulated OK and when used as a cooler with the door opening up, it keeps things cold overnight without running, but you may loose your ice cubes.

Either one can be bought at WalMart for 80 to 90 dollars.

________
Dave
Dene

Vessel Name: Fear Naut & Terra-Sea-Ta
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old Growth,

How noisy are these 12V coolers?

-Greg

Last edited by Dene on Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
oldgrowth

C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Voyager
Photos: C-Voyager
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dene wrote:
Old Growth,

How noisy are these 12V coolers?

-Greg

Greg – can't tell you about the Coleman, but the Igloo is very quite. I often have to put my hand by the fan and feel for air to tell if it is running . If it is very quite out and you are trying to sleep, you may be able to hear the fan. I would think the Coleman would also be just as quite seeing as it operates on the same principal.
________
Dave
Wayne McCown

State or Province: NY
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Little Mac
Photos: Little Mac
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:05 am    Post subject: 12v Thermocoolers Reply with quote

The thermocoolers are NOT as energy-efficient as the 12v refers. My (older) unit will deplete a 24 group battery in less than 8 hours.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> The Galley All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: