journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get a lot in it, enough to keep your significant other happy. It's both a freezer and fridge.

When running, it takes about 5 amps. With a 50% duty cycle, that's about 2.5 amp-hrs/hr. Just divide that into 1/2 of your battery amp-hr capacity and you have the hours you can run. Keep a Honda 1000 handy and recharge every morn, if you have a good battery charger.

Boris
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Art-

Here's your photo and caption:

(Sea Angel) Cd25 Refrig.
NORCOLD Model: DE0051
120vac OR 12vdc@10amps(fused)

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For Tom: there isn't much of a freezer, but you can make a couple little trays of ice each day (and that's enough for drinks at night). You might get a steak in there, but that's about it. If you are running everyday, you won't have a problem with flattening the batteries (we do have two Grp 27 house batteries on Wild Blue). We can go about 2 days and then we're going to need to run, fire up the generator, or plug into shore power. We are rarely in one place at anchor more than a couple days (the exception was last winter in the Keys when it was one norther after another).

I like the fridge for the same reason I like hot water on the boat: it feels more like home. It's easier to stay out longer. Some folks like to go simple and rough it... as you know, we are not those folks. I like a memory foam pad on the v-berth, satellite radio, a good stove, heat, AND my fridge, water heater, and enclosed head. I also look for places to anchor based on comfort.

That old saying about "the difference between adventure and ordeal is attitude" may be true... but if we're enjoying ourselves, it's just easier to stay out there... no reason adventure can't be comfortable! Cool

Best wishes,
Jim

Dragonfly

City/Region: Cameron
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 1995
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: FireFly
Photos: Dragonfly
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are landlocked, so we trailer our 25 when ever we go boating. We have the factory installed Norcold, I love it, beverages are closer in the boat, than they are at the house. Several days prior to a trip, I plug in the boat and precool the refrigerator load it up and leave with it on the battery, one group 27. Most trip's 2 or 3 hrs. but on two longer trips it's run as long as eleven hrs on one battery without any problem but I keep an eye on it. Whatever your choice enjoy! Larry
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info guys. I was not going to get one in the next boat but now I think I will.
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wanted to put a fridge in my CD22 but didn't. Have one in the CD25 and like it enough that I would put one in a 22 if doing it over. I don't use it all the time every trip, but it is pretty easy to turn off when not needed. Mine is a Norcold, DC only. I have a converter that came with the boat if I want to plug it into AC, but it seemed rather silly to use it once I figured out that whenever AC is available I have the battery charger on.
helm

City/Region: Medford
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Chack Chack
Photos: Chack Chack
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone seen a great price, its $599 at West Marine for a Norcold DE 0051
Dene

City/Region: Kalama
Vessel Name: Fear Naut & Terra-Sea-Ta
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our Campion 22 footer was the first boat we purchased without a fridge. The previous owner took it out and converted it into galley space. He was wise to do so on this boat. We found that using a cooler in the cockpit works just fine, especially if you divide it, using the waterless ice thingies for perishable foods and regular ice for drinks.

The fridge on our 30 footer busted last summer. Nasty price tag to replace.

-Greg
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:24 am    Post subject: Re: To Fridge or not to Fridge - that is the question Reply with quote

helm wrote:
We bought or CD-25 with no fridge, just the ice box under the helm seat. Adding a fridge is a simple install as all AC and DC wiring are in place.
So for those of you with fridges do you love them or hate them. Would you buy Norcold or Dometic. Do we forget the fridge and use a cooler and have the extra space for more storage. We are setting the boat up for a great loop cruise.
Thanks
Eric

I bought a WAECO freezer at the SBS and intend to replace the factory fridge on my 2006 Tom Cat with this freezer. See photos of Thataway and Discovery for my inspiration. This means that sometime this late spring I will have a surplus fridge available for sale. If you are interested in a win-win deal, email me. (That goes for anyone else out there who may be in the market for a fridge in great condition!)

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The newer Norcolds--which most C Dories now have use the Danfoss compressor, not the old Japanese swing motor compressor and are as about effecient as most of the other refigerators available. But look at Tundra and Nova Cool--both are highly recommended.

We also find that our Norcold in the CD 25 runs about 50 % of the time--no matter what the ambient temp...We don't depend on the refigerator for long trips, but use two large ice chests. One ice chest we only get into once a day, the other we keep soft drinks etc in and put food for dinner in it from the less opened box. We keep wet towels over the ice boxes and that significantly helps keep the ice.

In the past we have found that a Norcold pretty much drains a group 31 battery in 24 hours. (110 amp hours--x average of 2.5 amps-x 24 hours is close to 55 amp hours or 50% discharge--and that is as much as you should take the battery down).

These refigs don't have much room, in comparison to the larger ref we had in rV's or the serious holding plate systems (6 to 10 feet each freezer or refigerator) I am not aware of any good holding plate or top loading system, other than what we or several others have in our Tom Cats. Although there are some advantages of a 12 volt holding plate system, it is no where as effecient as the 110 V large compressor/large plates or engine driven compressor systems--which will hold a freezer at 10 degrees or less for 24 hours on an hour of run time.

We have the Norcold top loading chest type refigerator/freezer in the Tom Cat and I like that much better than the CD front loading refigerator. It will be either a refig or freezer--which the front loading will not, and it will contain considerably more food. We put frozen food in the top loader and use the entrees daily--allowing them to thaw in the ice chests.

We didn't have a refig in the 22, and I didn't consider putting one in. I ordered the tC 255 without a refig, planing to put in the top loader. The 25 came with the refig--and we are keeping it--great for dock side and the small amounts of food when I visit Calif--but for long trips, we want more room--but for the loop anything will do--you can get to stores and ice almost every day--sometimes a bit of a walk, but often you will be given a ride.

Our rig in the Tom Cat 255:

We put tackle boxes in back of and around the top loader--contain spare parts and fishing tackle--and allows effecient use of space for storage. We have 300 lb capacity ball bearing rails that the freezer rolls out on and use a single 1/4" bolt to pin the roller mechanism when we are at sea and the cabinet door is shut.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
flagold

City/Region: Abbeville
State or Province: AL
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: C-Dawg-E
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 on loving the Norcold.
El and Bill

City/Region: Lakewood, CO
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Photos: Halcyon
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, Pat, the fridge is wonderful. Cheap to buy,doesn't use more electricity than Hoover Dam can produce in a day, won't run your battery down faster than a few hours, doesn't require another virtually silent and inexpensive machine (you called it, I think, a generator) that only uses a drip of cheap gasoline, holds a huge mound of food and a glacier of ice -- Yep, Pat, Jim calculated the whole shebang is a lot cheaper than a block of ice! (if you buy ice every ten minutes for ten years.)

We are definitely unhappy with our simple little ice chest -- sure wish we could hit the lottery so we could join the folks with a refrig -- oh, yeh, El just reminded me, we did win the Ontario Lottery a few years ago -- maybe that win will cover the new refrig? Oh, yeh, and we also have to get the battery and wiring issues for the ice chest solved. Very Happy

JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For any of you thinking Bill, Pat, Dr. Bob and I are at odds on this issue, let me state emphatically that we are all like-minded when it comes to the most important issue: using the boat! Very Happy We may differ on the execution and the amenities, but that's just personal taste. For some, a vacation means backpacking with a small tent; for others it's lying by a pool with non-stop margaritas being delivered. We like to think that we're somewhere in between. Cool

Whether a fridge adds to your enjoyment onboard or whether you think it's more complication than you need is just another of the many options for how we all use these boats. To fridge or not to fridge? You pay your money, you make your choice. I've had the pleasure to meet the three principals mentioned above, and they've all made the choice that's right for them... and the way they USE their boats. Thumbs Up

Best wishes,
Jim B. (now if I could figure out a way to put a hot tub in this thing...)
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JamesTXSD wrote:

Jim B. (now if I could figure out a way to put a hot tub in this thing...)

No problem Jim, put it on the trailer, fill the cockpit with water and build a fire under the boat!! Cry Laughing Stop when the participants turn pink!! Wink

Gotta go look at the fridge in the TC255, have never used it. Not surprising since I don't have power at the pier yet, will have soon though.

I need a place to put the AC unit, maybe the fridge will have to go....

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plus, Bill knows he is always welcome to run his extension cord over to Daydream any time he needs to recharge his batteries! Laughing

JamesTXSD wrote:
I've had the pleasure to meet the three principals mentioned above, and they've all made the choice that's right for them... and the way they USE their boats. Thumbs Up

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> The Galley All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: