Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grumpy

City/Region: Whidbey Is
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: Kingfisher II
Photos: Kingfisher
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to add that we also have a multiplexer between the AIS and the E-120 so the 2000 would work for us. Otherwise would have to use the 2150.
(thanks Barry)

M

REBEMUP

City/Region: Santa Cruz
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Sea-Cruz
Photos: C-Cruz
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just tried the AIS for iPhone application Ship Finder that the Curlew crew mentioned. For either free or with full tracking etc. for $4.99 you sure get a heck of a AIS application. Not many ships in Monterey Bay(certainly not enough to spend hundreds of dollars for a AIS receiver) but I was surprised how many pass just offshore on the way to San Francisco. On nice days it could be fun to try and intercept interesting ones. Where you have cell phone reception, it sure seems like it would do everything I need from AIS. I love ships and this things gives me photos when I click on the ship and all its AIS data. Of course not much use without cell phone reception unless you think its fun to sit in your living room and watch ships move around all over the world. C-Brats just keep coming up with so much fun stuff, almost worth the cost of the boat to get to play!

Ron

seabeagle

City/Region: Farmington Hills
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Beagle II - Sold 4-19-12
Photos: Sea Beagle II
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just had a chance to test my gx2150 / Garmin 5208 yesterday and already have a problem. The system worked fine in the driveway including a DSC test from my handheld. When I got out on lake St Clair, I immediately picked up an AIS target and found it on the Garmin. Soon I had 4 showing on the gx2150 but no output to the Garmin. I still had the gps connection and could see the targets on the gx2150 with all of the corresponding data but not on the Garmin. I checked all of the connections with an ohm meter and the settings in both units and had no luck. I even tried a DSC test from my handheld and it didn't even receive it. When I got home, I tried another DSC test and it worked fine. I'm too far from open water to pick up any other targets, any ideas on how to test further? I'll be calling Standard Horizon later to check with them and possibly Garmin too. I've been working 14 hour day lately and won't be back to the big water for at least a week and don't know anyone with similar electronics to make some tests with. Is there a particular voltage reading I might test for on the terminal block to see if there is a signal between the two units?

http://www.youtube.com/SeaBeagleII
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

REBEMUP wrote:
Just tried the AIS for iPhone application Ship Finder that the Curlew crew mentioned. For either free or with full tracking etc. for $4.99 you sure get a heck of a AIS application. Not many ships in Monterey Bay(certainly not enough to spend hundreds of dollars for a AIS receiver) but I was surprised how many pass just offshore on the way to San Francisco. On nice days it could be fun to try and intercept interesting ones. Where you have cell phone reception, it sure seems like it would do everything I need from AIS. I love ships and this things gives me photos when I click on the ship and all its AIS data. Of course not much use without cell phone reception unless you think its fun to sit in your living room and watch ships move around all over the world. C-Brats just keep coming up with so much fun stuff, almost worth the cost of the boat to get to play!

Ron

Ron, I used to have a boat in the Marina there when I was at USNPGS 67-70, sure was a great place to boat! I'd make sure it wasn't a Navy ship you were trying to "intercept", they don't take kindly to having someone make a "run" on them! Laughing

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have the input from the radio on the high speed com port on the Garmin. Then have you selected the high speed com port. If you don't understand this, PM me and I'll send you the specific wire colors,--but our menue may be different. Garmin manual will tell how to select the 34,000 Baud port.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
seabeagle

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, all of the speed settings are correct. It was just really odd that one moment I had a target on the Garmin display and moments later with 4 on the matrix display, the Garmin had none.
REBEMUP

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was out today only offshore a few miles when I noticed a "red" ship further offshore. This is the first red AIS ship I have seen on my iPhone app in the Monterey Bay area. When I clicked on it I saw it was a naval craft, only 48 meters. Probably could not have intercepted it but Charlie's warning put it completely out of mind. Do all naval ships run AIS or does it depend?
Captains Cat

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are not required to run it. Most can do as they pretty much please except in close quarters. If it was Navy, probably a patrol craft of some sort, not many "warships" that length.

Charlie
REBEMUP

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, that sounds right. It was listed as a "Military Ops" vessel. I don't know if that covers all military vessels or just navy (excluding or including Coast Guard?)

Once every few years the U.S. Navy sends a ship on the scale of a guided missile destroyer to Monterey Bay and it is fun to take a cruise around it in parade of other small boats.

Obviously Monterey Bay is not like naval ports were I doubt parades take place around newly arrived vessels. Since it has now been a few years, I am also not certain we would be allowed a very close approach to an anchored naval ship in these times.

Since I was a child when my mother took me to the N.Y. harbor entrance in Bay Ridge Brooklyn to watch for my fathers ship's arrival I have been a consummate ship watcher. The new cruise ships do nothing for me (they don't even look sea worthy, more like a floating wedding cake) but the "honest" old ocean liners like the Queen Mary and the big naval ships are like magnets. I can stand for hours just looking at them. I may just have to trailer Sea-Cruz down to San Diego.

Ron
seabeagle

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I did finally solve the connection issues. I've had it fixed since a couple days after my last post, it's just taken me this long to respond. I wired the two units together different than shown. I spoke with a tech from Standard Horizon afterward to tell them the solution. He checked the serial and told me that the firmware was old and the radio was manufactured in January. Not a big deal, I got it to work. If it ever needs service they will correct the problem even if the warranty has run out.

Anyway, the AIS is pretty cool. works great with the Garmin. If anyone else has the same issue, PM me and I'll post the wiring and system changes.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Is AIS in the house?

Yes! Well half of it anyway. the receiver section. SH GX2150. Worked nice on trial. Rodgers Marine installed. Nice job, Great folks. Worth the trip.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Captains Cat

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:32 pm    Post subject: AIS for IPhone/IPad Reply with quote

http://itunes.apple.com/app/boat-beacon/id494877039?ls=1&mt=8

This looks interesting, have not researched it yet though. IPhone and IPad compatible apparently.

Charlie
ghone

City/Region: Nanaimo
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2011
Vessel Name: Kerri On
Photos: Kerri On
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loaded Marine Traffic. It's a free app. Just to try out. It is showing me 225 vessels in Range. It shows out o 50 miles I am 2 miles inland at the moment. Interesting info shows vessel photos average speed. Current speed and track. Will try it out on the water this weekend.
Larry H

City/Region: Tulalip,
C-Dory Year: 1991
Photos: Nancy H
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be careful using this app.

You are not receiving actual AIS signals. The AIS signals are being received by volunteer shore stations and then sent to a web site. You are then receiving the information from the web site. The info you see is just for 'fun' and cannot be relied on as to timeliness or completeness. The system depends on volunteers and coverage is not complete. If you want to receive AIS data that you can rely on, you need to get an AIS receiver and display.

See this info from the App site:

"Boat Beacon requires internet access to work. Most popular coastal areas in the US have cellular data access extending 12 or more miles out to sea. The UK has nearly complete coastal coverage out to 12 miles. AIS Ship data is provided by a network of voluntary AIS shore based stations. Some areas may not have AIS coverage."

"N.B. This is not an AIS transponder. You will not be visible to other ships on their AIS systems unless they also use data from the same land based AIS networks."

A C-Brat since Nov 1, 2003
Ranger Tug 27 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2017 - 2022
Puget Trawler 37 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2006-2017
1991 22' Cruiser, 'Nancy H'--1991-2006
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this might sound crazy but is there any consensus on what is the best AIS app for android phones? Or any ideas?

This I need so I can sit at work and watch the ship traffic on my lunch break Wink

Harvey
SleepyC Moon
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electronics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10

Jump to: