The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Wiring Labels?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rob & Karen

City/Region: Franklin
State or Province: TN
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Life of Riley
Photos: Life of Riley
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:41 pm    Post subject: Wiring Labels? Reply with quote

As I add accessories to the boat, I have been sorting out what wires go to what. I would like to start labeling them before things get any more complicated. Is there an easy way to label individual wires? The only thing that comes to mind so far is some sort of tape on the wire and using a sharpie to label, but this does not seem like a long lasting solution. Any better ideas? It would also be nice if it did not have to be some sort of special order marine item...that kind of stuff wears on the budget after awhile. Thanks.

Rob
Sarge

City/Region: Edmonds
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: Sea Badger
Photos: Gigi
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob,

How about a Brother P-Touch label printer:
http://www.brother-usa.com/ptouch/

We have one. Can't say I've used it on the boat, but we have used it with computer cables when moving and replacing items.

2001 2150 Bayliner, sold
2007 CD25, sold
2007 Harbercraft Kingfisher 2850, sold
2011 Stabicraft 2250SC, sold
2011 Eastern 18cc

Blog: http://theseabadger.wordpress.com
Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:11 pm    Post subject: Wiring Reply with quote

Rob,

I spent half a lifetime as an aircraft electrician for Uncle Sam's Misguided Children (USMC), or was that the University of Science, Music and Culture. Regardless, on aircraft, each circuit was assigned a number that included coding for the general type of circuit, the sub-circuit, the wire size, and whether or not it was a ground (marked with a N). This number was embossed into each and every wire across the entire run. That clearly is overkill for a CDory, but you might do something similar with some plastic tags, a sharpie, and a little creativity. If you do, i recommend that you keep a schematic drawing of what you have labeled. You may want to place the tags in key areas, or said differently, have more than one tag per circuit.

You have a good idea, now the trick is to be pragmatic and not go into overkill as I have described above.

Regards,

Steve
dogon dory

State or Province: AK
Vessel Name: DogOnDory
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, Folks - Post Deleted By Author

Last edited by dogon dory on Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob-

I'm still LOLAROTF from Steve's alternative acronym explanations of the USMC!

I looked up all sorts of alternatives Googling "wire labeling", and most featured either a rather expensive labeling machine or pre-made numbered or colored labels from which you had to design and record a de-coding system.

Personally, I'd rather have simple names, like "windlass" on the labels. KISS again!

I think your original idea of tape and a Sharpie pen is still a very viable do it yourself alternative. The trick is to do it right and keep it simple.

I'd start with 3 x 5 index cards and cut them down to 1/4" x 1/2" pieces.

Then I'd use a fine Sharpie pen, or a similar really permanent marker with ink that would not mildew.

After printing the label very small and letting it dry throughly, I'd use clear vinyl tape about 1" wide, so as after wrapping the tape around the paper piece and the wire the tape would seal completely around the wire and all four sides of the paper tag, doubling on front and back to seal out moisture. You may want to clip off the corners round to prevent snagging. Wires outside the cabin may warrant a double tape covering, perhaps offsetting two more layers off center for additional protection.

Sorry to come back to your original idea, but a cruise through the existing alternatives indicates more elaborate alternatives seem pretty expensive, and you can have some fun doing it simple yourself.

Just a recommendation for $0.02!

Joe. Thumbs Up Teeth

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Rob & Karen

City/Region: Franklin
State or Province: TN
Vessel Name: Life of Riley
Photos: Life of Riley
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe,

When you say clear vinyl tape, is that the same as clear packing tape? If so, I tried that with my stereo with less than stellar results. The tape I used lost it's hold after awhile and the tags started to come off. Maybe I need a higher quality tape, or more of it...not sure.

Rob
Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:59 pm    Post subject: USMC Reply with quote

Joe,

When I was in, the saying that a 'complaining Marine was a happy Marine' led us to create some of the acronyms that I revealed in my previous post. Personally, I like the University of Science Music and Culture, as that is where I got my PhD in CA (Civilian Appreciation), plus a few years of post doc work to boot.

All kidding aside, I enjoyed my time in the Corps. Even though I was in during some interesting times, it gave me a safe place to grow up in what I considered a pretty safe place.

Kind Regards,

Steve
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve-

I really appreciate your sense of humor as well as your fine respect for the USMC as I'm sure all the rest of us share! Thanks for the insight into your experience!

Rob-

I'd have to conduct some tests to see how well various kinds of clear tape work.

One real consideration would be the resistance to temperature, Here in Redding temperatures might climb to 130 degrees in a closed up boat on a trailer on a 110 degree day!

I'd try out various tapes from clear 3m mystic tape, to wrapping tape, to simple clear acetate (Scotch) tape, and even clear shelf paper, among others.

I've never done this myself, but think it might just be very much worth the effort to find a good solution. An office supply store would have a number of alternatives, as well as your hardware store.

Dan's numbered electricians system has merit too, I just would definitely prefer direct name labels rather than a coded system.

Steve's system suggestions are good too, and labeling hot and ground wires would be very useful if the wires aren't color coded that way.

You might also might try writing directly with the Sharpie pen on opaque colored tape, but I'd be leary it might smear or fade in time.

Joe. Thumbs Up Teeth
dogon dory

State or Province: AK
Vessel Name: DogOnDory
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, Folks - Post Deleted By Author

Last edited by dogon dory on Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Capn Jack

City/Region: La Conner
C-Dory Year: 1988
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Pocket Yacht
Photos: Pocket Yacht
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:38 pm    Post subject: RE: Wire Tags Reply with quote

I have some plastic Ty-Wraps that have tags built into them that can be written on with a Sharpie. I believe they came from Harbor Freight. Thumbs Up

Just remember a wire has the same designation at both ends. Wink

Jack
oldgrowth

City/Region: Rochester
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Voyager
Photos: C-Voyager
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob - this tape (Rescue Tape) will do what you want. It comes in 1" and 2" rolls. Get the clear and label it going across the tape. Wrap it around the wire twice. The second time to cover the label and it will last forever.
________
Dave
AstoriaDave

City/Region: Astoria
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dogon covered most of the caveats I have about labeling wires. Those numbered stick on strips die when exposed to fuel, WD-40, etc. BTDT.

Go to Radio Shack and look at their selection. I found some self-adhesive labels which totally enclose the paper labels, and seemed better adhesive than the "electrical" labels.

The other way to go is to invest in various kinds of colored wires and use the colors to tell you what is what. AYBC has some standards for the colors. You will spend a lot of money on that, however.

Also, use split loom to isolate your runs, so that similar wires are within the same split loom. It is really tough to dig out the offending wire within a huge bundle inside a larger split loom.

Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Taco
Photos: <a>Da Boats</a>
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Label printers are not a great idea...the labels will come off in time.

Best method I've found - clear shrink wrap. Print a label on plain paper, wrap it around the cable, then enclose in clear shrink. Makes for a very professional install, that will not ever come off, and will remain legible. And unlike tie wraps with labels, there are no hanging tabs to clutter things up when working in tight areas.

It's available many places - I pick it up with other wiring goodies at TerminalTown. Here's a link to their page showing more details.

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I label the wires with a P touch labeler. I use 1/4" plastic labels and they seem to hold up well. The only photos I have handy are on the breakers I have on the Tom Cat 255, but I labled most of the wires on the terminal blocks of both the Tom Cat and C Dory 25. When I add new wiring, then I label both ends of the wire. I have tried the numbers, and it does work well--often it is a good idea to put the numbers several places on the wire, especially in a larger boat. However when you have to trace out a circuit in a emergency, it is easier to have the wire labeled, rather than refer to your "list".

There are also shrink wrap tubing which can be slipped over the wire; some allow hand writing and others use a machine printed label; such as the Rhino Industrial labels by Dymo You can buy a labeler for $50 to $100 and it prins on nylon or heat shrink wire tubing as pictured here:
http://images.cableorganizer.com/dymo-label-printer/manuals/RhinoPro-Tapes-info.pdf

Cable organizer.com has multiple labels and shrink tubing and printers for these applications.

I think if I was getting a new boat, or re-wiring, I would "invest" in one of these heat shrink or high adhesive label machines and do all of the wires.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL

Last edited by thataway on Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob: I have one of the high dollar label makers that spit out the labels like THATAWAY pictures. Bring you boat over and we can label all day long. Give me a call.

Byrdman

C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 sold again.. May 2020
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hu #14 - Bought her again - May16
Aloysius, Sold to Brother Mike Mar16
Aloysius, Hull # 440 RF-246
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 Sold May09
TC24, Hull #51, Sold Feb06
CD16A, Sold Dec03
Never Deny Yourself The Pleasure of Helping Others.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: