The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Battery Location

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:18 pm    Post subject: Battery Location Reply with quote

If the weather ever turns nice enough for me to want to work outside on the boat, one of my projects will be battery replacement and change of location for one of the batteries. I am planning on using the port side lazerette to get some of the weight off of the starboard side.

Since that is a sealed area that can be used as a bait well, it collects a lot of condensation. My questions are: have you used that location, and if so, how did you open it up so that it ventilates? I was thinking of just getting mildly crazy with a hole saw and a lot of precaution around the fuel cells. Your thoughts?

Steve
flapbreaker

City/Region: Hillsboro
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Playin' Hooky
Photos: Playin' Hooky
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a battery in each lazarette. I wound up taking a two inch or so hole saw to the wall of it just under the gunnel. Seems to have plenty of ventilation now.
dogon dory

State or Province: AK
Vessel Name: DogOnDory
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, Folks - Post Deleted By Author

Last edited by dogon dory on Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Brooks Cooper

City/Region: Camas
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1996
Vessel Name: Coop's Cruiser
Photos: Coop's Cruiser
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a question. Why don't many C-brats put their batteries on the floor between the fuel cells in battery boxes. I did it years ago and they are easy to access and maintain plus I still have a live well and extra storage in the unused lazzaret. Question Idea
ghone

City/Region: Nanaimo
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2011
Vessel Name: Kerri On
Photos: Kerri On
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:48 pm    Post subject: battery move Reply with quote

Surprised I just wanted to thank all the folks for the input on moving batteries. My 19 is sitting a lot more level with the battery out of the starboard lazarette and positioned on the floor by the port fuel tank. I have it in an Attwood battery box with the top slightly cut in a wedge so it fits under the splashwell really a snug fit.
So far to keep it secure I've put 2" webbing with a click buckle around the box and port fuel tank to marry them up together much like how the fuel tanks are strapped in. . This keeps the box tight and yet quick release for maintenance. The lazarette space will be the electrical room for buss bars and hoses etc. The only change needed was running some 8 gauge wire up to the positive and negative power posts to run instruments circuits and house circuits. The leads for engine start were long enough to just reach down thru the locker and across the splashwell bottom with a hose conduit and one clamp. Nice and simple. So far no new holes drilled in the hull. In the photo on the header page the box is about where the boots are sitting and pushed back under the splashewell The dog bunk is about wherever she happens to push it. Will keep you posted.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:00 am    Post subject: Battery on each side Reply with quote

SleepyC came with a battery in each lazarette: port side battery to port side engine, and stbd to stbd. There seems to be plenty of ventilation in each. Definitely not sealed. I have not put the new covers on the hatches yet, so have attributed any moisture in there to be from washing the boat down.

Only have the 2 batterys. Most of the electronics run off the stbd side where the 1-2-B-Off switch is, and the cable runs up under the gunnel and into the cabin. Port side has the battery charger cable, and a bit of spare room.

Harvey
SleepyC

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: