Twin Honda Prop Request
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Holoholo

City/Region: Lincoln
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:09 pm    Post subject: Twin Honda Prop Request Reply with quote

Hello All Twin Honda 50 Owners:

I know there are a lot of you out there and since there are so few twin 50 Yamaha owners (which I am one), I need some advice. On my CD 22, I am running 14" pitch SS props, but when I test ran the motors, I found I could only get 4700 RPM's which my mechanic said should be between 5000-6000 RPM's. He said that by downsizing to maybe an 11" or 12" pitch, I should be able to get to that range and also get a better hole shot. I posted earlier for help from Yami twin owners, but after looking up profiles, there are very few of us listed, so the closest I can get is some of you with either twin Honda's or Suzuki's 50 HP 4 strokes that have ocean tested and approved of their prop sizes.

Any advice is appreciated and will help me as I get ready to order.

Vern
C-batical

City/Region: Pinckney
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: C-Batical
Photos: C-Batical
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Vern;

I have twin Honda 40's on my 22 ft. cruiser and I am currently running 4 blade Solas 12 inch pitch props. I run between 5100 and 5400 RPM, WOT, depending on load. My boat is fully rigged and is usually fully loaded. At the RPM's that you usually run the 40 and 50 are basically the same motor.

Best regards,
Rollie/C-Batical

Last edited by C-batical on Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:19 pm; edited 2 times in total
Rob & Karen

City/Region: Franklin
State or Province: TN
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Life of Riley
Photos: Life of Riley
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Rob & Karen on Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:26 am; edited 1 time in total
westward

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1985
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Steady Eddy
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings. I would find a vendor that is willing to let you try 2 sizes: 13" and a 12" pitch. I run 12" on our Honda 40's and they definitely feel like they're in "low gear" (ie. WOT above 6000 RPM and incredible hole shot) but that's what I directed my rigging dealer to install as we tend to run heavily loaded and often in rough water. I will probably purchase a pair of 13's as my backup set. I believe 13" is the standard choice for a 22' Dory with twin Honda's. Double check that on the performance tables section of the factory website. Many dealers will let you test run props provided you agree to purchase one or the other and agree to return the non-choice props in "as new" resalable condition and very quickly. It helps to approach a vendor you've done other business with as this is asking a favor. What you're currently running does strike me as way overpropped and so you're prone to lugging the engines. Good luck, Mike.
C-batical

City/Region: Pinckney
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: C-Batical
Photos: C-Batical
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Vern,

My boat came with Honda, 3 blade, 13 inch pitch. I ran them for two years and got about 200 RPM more at WOT. However, I prefer running with the 4 blade, 12 inch props because the boat seems to perform better from low to mid RPM's.

Best regards,
Big Mac

City/Region: Chehalis
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: Mary Ellen
Photos: Mary Ellen
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:33 pm    Post subject: Twim Honda 40 HP Reply with quote

Hello Vern, we are running Solas SS 11 1/8 x 13 on the Mary Ellen (twin 40hp Hondas). WOT is about 5700 rpm with an average load. We also have Permatrims. I have been very happy with this set up. Hope this helps, Big Mac.
1TUBERIDER

City/Region: Crescent City
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am running solas four blade 10.5 x 13. My troll speed is a little over 1 mph with one engine. The stock blades are 3 blade 11.1 x 13. I am running Honda 50's.

If I were fishing I would prefer to set my props for trolling speed. These boats can see over 30 and that would be lake type conditions, ocean conditions usually are not safe for 30 in our boats.

l don't have any top speeds listed or rpms as I don't run this boat at wot.

Jeff

Holoholo

City/Region: Lincoln
C-Dory Year: 2003
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:46 am    Post subject: Twin Honda 50 Request Reply with quote

Thanks to all who have posted. This gives me a starting point and yes, my mechanic has offered to swap props for the right one. I generally just fish the ocean here in N CA and am not a WOT runner, but prefer to have hole shot when and if I need to make it over waves at our local port entrance. I did notice that there was quite a difference in prop pitches but am sure that is basically preference. My 14"s are definitely too big. Also, I will be inquiring about the 4 blade pros as I am not too familiar with those.

Thanks again.

Vern
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vern wrote: " Also, I will be inquiring about the 4 blade pros as I am not too familiar with those. "

Vern-

Try looking through these two threads:

Props, 3 Blade vs. 4 Blade

4 vs 3 Blade Propeller

Joe. Thumbs Up Teeth

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
jlsparks

City/Region: Baldwin WI.
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Dutch Treat
Photos: Dutch Treat
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this will help, I'm running 10.5x13 on my twin honda 50's and my max rpm is 6000 on the nut. These are just stock 3 blade props but I really like the low end performance and top out at 30 + on calm water.

Jim
mpmccoy

City/Region: La Habra Heights
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Sea Queen
Photos: Sea Queen
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine are 11 X 13 OEMs... I used to be concerned that I never saw anything above 3500 until I saw a post that said. " Prop pitch and size? I don't care...boat goes fast and slow enough."

The boat probably would do 30 knotts lightly loaded and I'm not a troller and don't pull skiers so I'm good with the above . Cruising is my speed. Don't care to get anywhere just like to go.

I was thinking recently that I might enjoy a forum just for twins.

Les Lampman
Dealer

City/Region: Whidbey Island
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpmccoy wrote:
Mine are 11 X 13 OEMs... I used to be concerned that I never saw anything above 3500 until I saw a post that said. " Prop pitch and size? I don't care...boat goes fast and slow enough."

That would be a fine argument if it actually addressed the issue; which it doesn't. Propping the boat correctly isn't about the speed of the boat (except maybe bass boats and such) but about load on the engine (or engines).

If you're in high gear in your tow vehicle pulling a heavy load up a steep hill is it ok that your foot is plastered to the floor? Or would you rather shift down a gear and take some load off the engine. Or why specify a 3.73 (or even a 4.11) rear end for towing when you could have a 2.54?

The prop is the final piece in the drive system and as such is the one thing we have to work with to get the final drive ratio correct for the task at hand given the drive ratio in the lower unit is fixed.

There's nothing wrong with 3500 rpm at wide open throttle (WOT) if you never run the boat above 2500 continuously or 2800 or so for shorter durations. But...you could have saved a bunch of money since at 3500 rpm most outboard engines put out less than 1/2 their rated horsepower; why buy a 90 and run at 3500 max when you could save weight and dollars and just buy a 50?

It's OK that the poster of that original sentiment (whoever s/he is) didn't care but that doesn't it make it OK for the all the other users out there unless they understand and share the same head-in-the-sand approach.

www.marinautboats.com
itiming

City/Region: Iron River
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Obsession
Photos: Obsession
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking for propeller suggestions for our loaded 22 Cruiser (2008).

Our twin 2012 Honda BF40D motors have Honda OEM aluminum 3-blade props stamped 11.1 x 13 HQ. Did a test run at WOT this weekend to 5400 rpm at 24 mph. It was a day trip load (2 people, 20 gal fuel, 5 gal water, 40 lb cooler-boat has 3 batteries). It seemed to cruise well at 4800 rpms at 19 mph.

Is this a good result?, or should I try other props for light touring?

Also, we plan more heavily loaded touring trips with full fuel/water/fishing gear/food for a week. Also day trips with more passengers.

Would it be better to switch to other props better matched to heavier loads?

Any prop suggestions?

Thanks for sharing your experience/recommendations.
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you did too bad, but I'd try to hit as close to 6k as you can for the best economy and performance. You're really close right now and I'd talk to a prop shop to dial it in perfectly. My outboards overshoot 6k a tiny bit with an empty boat, but that was on purpose because I run really heavy most times. You may want to do the same.
C-Green

City/Region: Houghton
C-Dory Year: 2002
Vessel Name: C-Green
Photos: C-Green
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with T.R.B. I normally run heavy in fresh water with four blade 11.1x11 (DxP) Solas Amita props I also have permatrims and enlarged trim tabs. When light I get 5900 rpm.s and normally loaded (heavy, remember) 5400. Since max HP is at 5500, lightly loaded you want to be as near as possible to 6000 and possibly over (just don't run it there) so when loaded you have the best HP possible. Four blades seem to give better response at low and mid rpm's. Permatrims seem to help a lot as a rudder when docking slowly (my preference) and of course, for lateral and bow/stern trim when running. I average about 4 smpg, sometimes up to 4.5. I started with Solas 3 blade 13 pitch and went to 4 blade 12 pitch and was only at 5400 WOT, so I then went to 11 pitch. The 12 pitch props are my spares, only one needed once but awfully glad I had them.

Jay
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Propellers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: