View previous topic :: View next topic  
C-Sick

City/Region: Renton
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: R-25 Tug
Vessel Name: Gratitude
Photos: C-Sick
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 1:18 am    Post subject: Anchor Clearance Reply with quote

My factory installed danforth anchor /windlass is close to the bow that with the slightest impact it is going to do gel damage. Any suggestions on how to either protect the bow or easily extend the anchor away from the bow
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

C-Sick

A photo would be a great help here. Do you have the factory standard bow roller or a pivoting self-launching Simpson-Lawrence type?

If you have the factory OEM roller (Windline URM-2), changing over to the Simpson Lawrence self-launching type would extend the Danforth out a great deal of distance. It's a much larger roller, and makes self-launching with a Danforth a cinch.

How large a Danforth are you using? Is it the shaft's proximity to the deck surface that's worrying you? Or, more probably, maybe the flukes of the anchor are too close to the hull just below the stem of the boat?

Look through the photos under anchoring to see how you're different from some other possible set-ups.

Which windlass do you have? Do you know that it was factory installed? I haven't noted the windlass listed as a factory option, and the usual practice is to have the windlass installed by the local dealer or the owner, probably because it's felt that the local dealer or owner can better select the anchor, roller, windlass, and anchor rode appropriate to the local conditions and intended uses.

HTH until we know more about your specific problem. Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
C-Sick

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 11:44 pm    Post subject: More Achor Info Reply with quote

Joe,

Thanks a million for the come back.

Turns out it is a Hooker 14lbs Anchor (similar style but not near the quality of a Danforth) with a no name roller that is a knock off of the Windline URM-2. The concern is the flukes are within an inch of the hull stem.

The solution may very well be to upgrade to the Simpson Lawerence self launch.

Anybody have experience with the hooker anchor?
C-Sick

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 12:57 am    Post subject: Lewmar 600 Reply with quote

I forgot to mention I have Lawerence Simpson Horizon 600 Windlass
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Anchoring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: