View previous topic :: View next topic  
C-Duck

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: C-Duck (Name TBD)
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:28 am    Post subject: West Marine RU-260 Dinghy Reply with quote

I’ve read a few posts about the RU-260 model dinghy that West Marine sells – sounds like a good little boat. I like the fact that it only weighs ~50lbs, it has a hard transom, and it seems like a good size to ferry people and dogs to shore. I am wondering how well it fits inflated on the roof of a 22’ C-Dory cruiser? Is it too long? Too wide? Do you need an extra tall radar arch to squeeze it under?

Do any of you have a photo of the RU-260 mounted on the roof? I’ve got an old 4hp 2-stroke Evinrude that weighs ~30lbs and this little dinghy seems like a good fit for it (?). My biggest concern is it may be too wide or too long for the roof of a 22’ cruiser – also am not sure how it will fit under my radar arch (not the short model, and not the extra tall one, sort of the “medium” height arch).

Anybody out there have this inflatable or a comparable one? Pro’s/con’s? Thanks.
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good morning C-Duck,

We have the 260, but carry it on the top of our 25...

I'm not sure of the exact size difference in the cabin top on the 25 vs 22, but the inflatable extends just a bit past our handrails and isn't as long as the cabin top on our boat. Here's another angle...

... that shows the inflatable from the side and rear.

It seems to me that there are other 22 owners who have this same dinghy. BTW, we are pleased with the 260; the slatted floor allows it to be rolled up reasonably small for packing, and the dinghy moves decently (won't plane with that bottom) with a 2.5 hp motor. It doesn't row great, like most inflatables. We've had 4 adults on ours in a pinch... or two adults and 10 bags of groceries. Wink Light enough to be able to heft it up on top by myself (I pull it up from the bow of our 25). It works.

HTH 'till you get advice from a 22 owner.

Best wishes,
Jim B.

Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:49 am    Post subject: It Fits Reply with quote

I believe that our dinghy is the RU 260 or an earlier version. Here's a photo of it on the cabin top. The pontoons stick out past the back of the cabin, but once I move the anchor light to the radar arch that should no longer be necessary.

C-Hawk

City/Region: Carpinteria / Channel Islands
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: C-Hawk
Photos: C-Hawk
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had the RU260 and as James said- it doesn't row to good. The flat bottom allows it to drift whether you are rowing or use an engine. We used a Honda 2h and it tends to slip sideways when you turn. PJ did not like the slatted floor- not firm enough for her.
We sold ours and bought one with the inflatable keel and floor--- much better. It weighs about 60# and is 9'6" in length and has larger diameter tubes. We tow it almost everywhere.

KJ6VVB
A Brat I am, At sea I be
God is Great, Beer is Good.... and People are Crazy
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We owned the 260 RU and I believe that Jeff (C Pelican) now has that boat. It worked very well for us, and we kept the smaller version (about 6'). We used a 3 hp and as noted it does not plane. We put it upside down on the top of the cabin--at times over the radar dome, other times rolled up, and even sideways if for only a short distance. We didn't have a radar arch, so cannot comment on that. Currently we still have the shorter version, the articulated slatted floor 310 (about 10.5 feet), which is considerably heavier and the HP 285 (about 9.4 feet)--heavier but considerably more stable floor. The latter two are Hypalon boats.

We felt that the 260 RU was a good compromise in size and weight--easy to put on the cabin top, yet would carry two to 3 people and a dog. The slatted floor is not as good as the vinly articulated or the HP floor, but the weight is a good trade off. I did have to repair one of the slats--it broke and I just glassed in together with epoxy and 6 oz cloth.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
mpmccoy

City/Region: La Habra Heights
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Sea Queen
Photos: Sea Queen
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Achilles version RU 260. 8'6" I't comical to row beacuse of the useless seat. It's a compromise. I like the fact I can roll it up which it is most of the time. I have the weight at 62lbs? I put it on the cabin roof once. It wasn't easy as I have a radome in the middle. It cleared the radom and If it's put up with the stern forward the hangover at the cockpit end doesn't interfere with climbing in and out or around the cabin.
It tows reasonably but will catch air and fly above 20 knotts. I've seen five people in one.

Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: West Marine RU-260 Dinghy Reply with quote

We had an RU-260 - it was stolen and we replaced it with a Gary King Alaska Series that we like much better, it rows wonderfully.
C-Duck wrote:
Ive read a few posts about the RU-260 model dinghy that West Marine sells sounds like a good little boat. I like the fact that it only weighs ~50lbs, it has a hard transom, and it seems like a good size to ferry people and dogs to shore. I am wondering how well it fits inflated on the roof of a 22 C-Dory cruiser? Is it too long? Too wide? Do you need an extra tall radar arch to squeeze it under?

Do any of you have a photo of the RU-260 mounted on the roof? Ive got an old 4hp 2-stroke Evinrude that weighs ~30lbs and this little dinghy seems like a good fit for it (?). My biggest concern is it may be too wide or too long for the roof of a 22 cruiser also am not sure how it will fit under my radar arch (not the short model, and not the extra tall one, sort of the medium height arch).

Anybody out there have this inflatable or a comparable one? Pros/cons? Thanks.

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Dinghys All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: