Valkyrie

City/Region: Loudonville
State or Province: OH
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Valkyrie II
Photos: Valkyrie
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When faced with same question, we bought an Achilles LT-4, which weighs 56 pounds. Being made of Hypalon, it outlasts every other material out, short of fiberglass. With wooden floor, oars and outboard bracket in place, we can easily slide it under the tall radar arch. Our last Achilles, which this one replaces, lasted 19 years.

A note on putting any inflatable on top of a C-dory: do so from the bow, wher ypu can get much better leverage. Pictures can be found in page three of our album.

Nick
"Valkyrie"
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although we have towed "dinghies" up to 20 feet in length behind larger boats and I have a friend who tows a 25 footer to the Caribbean every year--we avoid towing inflatables. They can act like kites when the wind gets under them. I have seen some lost, capsized and fill with water.

We prefer to either carry the inflatable--inflated on top up side down, or deflate the boat. With an electric pump we find that we can inflate the boat in less than 5 minutes and it is much easier to deal with rolled up.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
teflonmom

City/Region: Red Lion
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Snickers AUG 08
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:14 pm    Post subject: Tender for 22 Reply with quote

Fred,

Your kayak type blow up should work very well for you. The way it sounds you solo a lot. The air floor inflatables are very light and will move very well with a 5HP kicker.

We used a 5HP Nissan 2 stroke as a tender motor for a number of years. We also used it as a get home on our 246 Rosborough. We made about 3 knots in calm conditions. The Rosborough was a lot heavierer than our 22. We now power with a single reliable Honda 90.

Fred and Pat Messerly

ffheap

City/Region: Hingham
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Year: 1983
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Inn-The-Water
Photos: Inn-The-Water
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Folks,

I went out and purchased a 7" West Marine rollup inflatable. No engine yet. I should be able to carry two people and two dogs, and be able to hoist it on my cabin (cockpit) top when inflated. When not, it goes in the bag in to the bunk.

I am going to start looking for a small outboard soon.

Thank you for you interest and help.

Fred

Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valkyrie wrote:
When faced with same question, we bought an Achilles LT-4, which weighs 56 pounds. Being made of Hypalon, it outlasts every other material out, short of fiberglass. With wooden floor, oars and outboard bracket in place, we can easily slide it under the tall radar arch. Our last Achilles, which this one replaces, lasted 19 years.

Thank you for posting this. I had previously considered, and rejected, the Achilles because I thought it was too heavy. When I read your message and then went back to check the specs, I discovered that I had confused the 82# shipping weight with the actual weight. In addition, the Achilles does not require a long shaft outboard, which means I can get the 2.5 Yamaha that I am interested in.

Now I am going to have a hard time deciding between this and the Alaska Series!

Warren

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
Adeline

City/Region: Vancouver
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: Adeline
Photos: Adeline
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking at the Achilles LT-2 At 7'3" and 38# it's similar to the Alaska Series 220 for about 1'2 the money. Both are Hypalon which seems to be considered superior to pvc (Decitex(Mercury Rollup)). I'm also looking at the Mercury 240 RU but at 7' 11", PVC, 61 Lbs I doubt I could horse it onto the roof. Finally, a boat like the Bombard X-2 Slat at 6' 7", PVC, 46 Lbs seems more workable. It and the Mercury 200 Rollup seem like a good compromise. However, Pat Anderson's(Daydream) poetic imagery keeps ringing in my ears. On the RU200
Quote:
"You look like 10 lbs of [dukie] in a 5 lb bag..."

SEA3PO

City/Region: Chester
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: SEA3PO
Photos: SEA3PO
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Years ago I was towing a 8' fiberglass dink and got caught by a following wave and almost sunk my boat, we cut it away as soon as we could...and the coast guard get it back later that week....torn into shreds by the water...destroyed.. it was a cheep lesson... I don't tow in anything but flat water...and then not for far..

What I now use is a Avon 8.5' with an inflatable bottom... nice inflatable with large side tubes... (keeps ya drier) and I use an ancient Mercury 4hp one cylinder ..... works just fine... 3 gallon tank I carry in the bow of the inflatable. I also have a 8hp Johnson that I sometimes carry if I plan on taking the inflatable any distance....but don't use it much as it is heavy and I don't like lifting it into the boat.

If anyone is interested I have a good Johnson 4 hp two cylinder motor that I will sell for $200...(in Chester Ca)

Joel
SEA3PO
Little Catelyn

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Little Catelyn
Photos: Little Catelyn
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, I still have a never-been-wet Mercury RU200 with cover and underseat bag that was not included with the sale of our boat... Anyone interested could send me an email.

And, for that matter, I also have one of those Mystic Sea VHF/GPS hand held units that I will no longer need.

Corwin
El and Bill

City/Region: Lakewood, CO
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Photos: Halcyon
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like all such decisions, it is important to determine the use of the dink and then make the choice, since most decisions are a matter of compromise.

Our uses are simple:

1. To take us to and from boat and shore when on anchor, usually because tidal range is too great to put Halcyon's bow on the shore. So, we need a light dinghy, easy to lift to roof and to deploy. Therefore, a small inflatable. No need for motor or a rigid floor -- keep it simple -- we can row, and do (and the g'kids love to row it around).

2. Secondary use is as a life raft in an emergency situation. Needs to be quickly and easily deployable -- so, the small inflatable fits this bill as well.

Therefore, we have a small inflatable inexpensive Sevlor dink. We have it, inflated, on the roof for our salt water or remote cruising with a tie that can easily be released or cut in emergency and it has worked perfectly for us.

Keep it simple, we suggest.

Best Day

City/Region: Long Beach
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Best Day
Photos: Best Day
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The info I've found on the internet says the Mercury RU240 weights 41 pounds not 61. So weight wise it and the Achilles LT-2 look like winners. The Achilles is about 3 inches narrower inside, about the same length inside but is about $230 less than the Mercury. I'm leaning toward the Achilles.

Does anyone else have experience using such a small dingy? Until I see one in person I have no idea if it is suitable for two people. Maybe sometimes I would try and squeeze three in.

Thanks,
Bill
Swee Pea

City/Region: Bath
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Swee Pea
Photos: Swee Pea
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buster's Marine http://www.bustersmarine.com/Inflatables/inflatables.html has a Mercury 240 Roll Up for $695. Laughing

John
Swee Pea
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We used a 6'7" West Marine (Bombard) with slat floor for several years on the C Dory 22. For one person, it was fine. For two people it was satisfactory for short distances. For two and a dog--it became marginal. My son (6' 4", 220 lbs and myself 6' 2" 190 lbs) was too much--but we made it back and forth to the dock in calm water. The soft floors are difficult to get in and out of, the slat floors are easier--solid plywood, air or aluminum floors are much easier.

We went to an air floor 9 foot boat, because with the Tom Cat 255, we will be taking the dinghy much further than we would have with the CD 22. The air floor will plane--and we may go with an engine large enough to plane the inflatable. Also we have a davit to lift the dinghy aboard and even put it on top of the cabin (we have not yet rigged the mount for that yet--but do have it for the side and stern).

If you are going to row, I think that the rounded boats are fine. For an engine I prefer the transom type. (I had several Avon Red Crests, Red Seals etc in the 60's and the motoring was not all that satisfactory, but it will work for short distances.)

As long as you are only going short distances in protected water--anything (sturdy) will do--but remember if you get caught in heavy wind, that you can not row against it--or even a 2hp will not be enough.

Bob Austin
Best Day

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swee Pea, thanks for finding the great price on the Mercury 240. I think because the Achilles is made of Hypalon I'm leaning towards it. Do you know of any great prices on it?

Bob, thanks for your great info as usual. Your experience of you and your son (410 lb's) in the Bombard matches up to the load capacity of the boat (385 lb's). Now I know that those factory load capacities are realistic in calm water. Both the Achilles lt2 and Mercury 240 are rated at 690 pounds. That is fine for 3 people or maybe 4 smaller people.

Thanks for the info guys,
Bill
Swee Pea

City/Region: Bath
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Swee Pea
Photos: Swee Pea
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Busters sells Mercury inflatables. But if you go to Defender's website, they have some '06's left for $749 and 07's for $798. Boy do I like spending other people's money. http://www.defender.com/

In your price range?

John
Swee Pea
Best Day

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks John, Defender was the best price I was able to find on the internet also. I just booked my tickets for the SBS, so I'm going to wait and see if I can find a deal there. Otherwise it looks like Defender is the way to go, or I have a local dealer I can call tomorrow.

Thanks,
Bill
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Dinghys All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: