City/Region: Hingham
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Year: 1983
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Inn-The-Water
Photos: Inn-The-Water
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Folks,
Thank you for your comments. I was sort of looking at the smaller of the inflatables, and now think that they may be to small. I like the idea of 28 to 32 lbs so I can handle it alone and put it on my cabin top. Now I might have to consider the heaver and larger inflatable. I saw Rick's Inflatable in his cabin. The size when not inflated is about right. Will have to research it a little more.

Does anybody had any success with the smaller inflatables?

MAN FROM NANTUCKET
Fred Heap

Wayne McCown

City/Region: Rochester
State or Province: NY
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Little Mac
Photos: Little Mac
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:56 pm    Post subject: Portabote as Dinghy? Reply with quote

We have owned a Portabote for more than 10 years. It's a good boat. But I don't think one could get it on and off the roof of a CD-22. More significantly, it has to be "put together": it must first be unfolded, and while the sides are held open by hands and feet, the seats must be put it to hold it open. This requires some doing, and (in my experienced opinion) could not be done on or off a C-Dory.
Silverback

City/Region: Kelowna, BC
State or Province: BC
Photos: Silverback
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto on Wayne's take on the Portabote. I don't own one, but have a friend that does. You need to be on land to put the thing together. I'm debating as well whether to get a tender or an inflatable kayak/canoe. There are always tradeoffs as with all things.
Bill
Moxieabs

City/Region: Cape Neddick
State or Province: ME
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Widget
Photos: Widget
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick,
What brand is your 5HP and is it a 20" or 15"? WM has a deal of 10% off if both motor and boat(inflateable) are purchased at the same time.

Rick from Maine

City/Region: No. Berwick
State or Province: ME
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunky Dory
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave,

My kicker is a 2000 Nissan 5 HP long shaft. Right length for the C-Dory on my raised mount, and OK on the dingy.

Rick from Maine
seahooked

City/Region: Redmond
State or Province: WA
Photos: SeaHooked
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lyle,
Have you seen how Sea Skipper has mounted his BF2? His photos show a nifty little bracket on the transom to the left of the swim step.

2006 CD-25 Cruiser "SeaHooked" 2006-2012
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking of buying an 8'10" Alaska Series inflatable which weighs about 50#. I heard about them from another member of this group (C-Dancer) and am going to buy one at the SBS, if all goes as planned.

Warren

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
Silverback

City/Region: Kelowna, BC
State or Province: BC
Photos: Silverback
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone here had experience or seen the Innova line of inflatables? I've considered a couple of the models (Sunny, Vagabond) but have never actually seen one. I know a few members chose similar boats (SOAR and Aire) over traditional tenders.
Bill
mrw90

City/Region: Bellingham
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that a number of people think that a C-dory makes a pretty good yacht tender!
tpbrady

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Bidarka II
Photos: Bidarka
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I have tried a little of everything here for a tender, dinghy or what have you.

a. The portabote. I have one and could set it up in the cockpit, but what a PIA.

b. Inflatable canoe. Actually works pretty well but not self bailing. you can tie it too the roof, lay it across the back and just about anything else. It also carries alot. Paddles pretty well with one or two people. Mine was a West Marine on sale (meant we gotta get rid of this) for $150. Still have it and use it. Biggest disadvantge was not self bailing. In the rain you were always having to dump water out of it.

c. Mercury roll up inflatable. Great for one person with limited gear. Paddles well with small oars and can move out pretty fast. However no good place for a second person to sit if you try to use the oars. You could both sit on the tubes and paddle but that makes the boat handle like a donut unless you practice alot. This would be the right choice with a 2hp motor or so. You can put it on the roof right side up, however, it doesn't drain well. If you put it upside down but then the transom is sitting on the roof and that isn't good. I have tied it on the roof upside down leaning on one sea kayak and that worked pretty well. You could lay it across two kayaks upside down but the load would be pretty high.

d. Sea kayak. Great for one, paddles fast but need good balance and some agility to get in and out. I carry one or two of these with me alot for touring after anchoring for the day. I also keep a small dinghy around because for a short jaunt to shore with two people, it is a lot easier.

e. Self bailing inflatable tandem kayak/canoe. This is my next great experiment since I have one of everything else. Some people collect props, I collect dinghys. The Aire Traveler canoe looks great but at 51lbs and $1760 it seems a little heavy on both me and the wallet. The Aire Tomcat looks like a good choice but I sure like the seat arrangment in the Traveler. I am thinking about making some seats like the Traveler for Tomcat. This site has the best selection of this type of boat (http://www.theboatpeople.com/iks_tandem.html#aire_tomcat-II).

38 Trawler Mia Terra 2012-2015
42 Nordic Tug 2015-
28 KingFisher 2009-2014
14 Jetcraft 2000-
17 Scanoe 1981-
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tpbrady, HERE is another boat for your collection! Laughing

Warren
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a approximately 9' west marine inflatable that weighs 43 lbs from West Marine. Its a roll up model they no longer sell. Worked good for us. Fits and rides well on top. Have been debating on power source between electrical and small 4 stroke. After checking out the Mokia Jet Boat that I learned about on Yukon Chris last thread, we think that's our dingy for the future. Its basically a 11.5 foot 2 person kayak with a honda 6 hp, 4 stroke motor with jet drive. Supposed to be quiet. Have sent for the DVD on its operation. Will either tow, set it side way in cockpit when have to or working on mounting on top. If it works out its going to add to a already planned wonderful Alaska exploration cruise.
Pete in NY

City/Region: Western LI Sound, NY
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Miss Pam
Photos: Miss Pam
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aside from the need to fuss with the tow line when backing or repositioning the dinghy to the side when docking with the other side to the dock, what are everyone's thoughts about towing the dinghy?

Pete in NY
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Millions of folks do it with sailboats, where ondeck space is limited.

Would have to remove the dingy motor and gas tank, if so equipped, on longer or rougher passages.

Will a dinghy bail itself (or is that a problem)?

We do this all the time with ski boats and jetskis towed behind houseboats on Shasa Lake, sometimes 2-3 boats towed in tandem (behind each other).

A bridle can be made off the stern with a float or series of floats to help keep the tow line from being sucked into the towing boat.

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Wayne McCown

City/Region: Rochester
Vessel Name: Little Mac
Photos: Little Mac
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:47 am    Post subject: Thanks for the Discussion Reply with quote

I appreciate this discussion. I do not think there is one "final answer" to the question. Choosing "the right dinghy" probably varies dependent on how much it is used, where, how, and for what purposes.

For the present, I have decided we only need a dinghy along occasionally, to get ashore and/or to "play around in." So for Christmas, I bought my wife(!) the Coleman inflatable "sit-on-top" kayak for two: it only weighs 23# and only cost (through amazon.com) $75. I figure that is a modest investment, and that we can use this inflatable else wise too (e.g., when traveling with our fifth wheel).

My only concern is getting in and out of it from the CD. (Kayaks are not noted as the most stable of craft!) But I think, at this point, that it is going to work satisfactorily for us...for our (not-so-serious) purposes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Dinghys All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: