View previous topic :: View next topic  
ffheap

City/Region: Hingham
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Year: 1983
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Inn-The-Water
Photos: Inn-The-Water
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 7:41 am    Post subject: Yacht Tenders Reply with quote

Hi Folks,

As I am preparing for my first cruise in my C-dory, I have been trying to figure out what is the best dingy to use, considering space and size. Towing an 8 Foot dingy does not turn me on. I own an Eagle kayack from the old days. Could move one person. then I have looked at the Fold-bot. I noticed that some of you use regular inflatables. etc.

Anybody come up with the ultimate solution,a small package that becomes a big tender, but becomes a small package when not in use?

MAN-FROM-NANTUCKET

Rick from Maine

City/Region: No. Berwick
State or Province: ME
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Hunky Dory
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 6:50 pm    Post subject: Tenders Reply with quote

I use an 8' inflatable from West Marine.

When folded it fits in a 3 1/2' x 1 1/2' x 1' valise which I store on a forward berth. Weighs about 40 lb.

It takes about 10 minutes to inflate with a foot pump when in the cockpit of my 22' C-Cory.

When cruising where it will be used frequently, I store it on the roof. It fits behind the Nav lite and Radar dome.

It will hold 4 adults and take the 5 HP outboard, which I have for a kicker. It doesn't row well, but good enough for short trips.

You'll see it at the New England Gathering.

Rick
Rock-C

City/Region: Salem
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1988
Vessel Name: Rock-C
Photos: Rock-C
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ffheap
I wish I had an inflatable, some day. What I do have is an 8' sailing dingy I'm rigging to tow behind our boat. I'll let you know how it works out after the first trials.

Joni Lynn

City/Region: Guttenberg
State or Province: IA
Vessel Name: Joni Lynn
Photos: Joni Lynn
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 3:51 pm    Post subject: Tenders Reply with quote

Hi Rick from Maine,

Don't intend to change the direction of this thread, but I'm curious to know how your 5 HP outboard pushes your 22 around. I'm seriously thinking of trading my 9.9 HP kicker and 1.2 HP dinghy outboard for something like a 5 HP to serve as both dinghy and kicker, but wondering if a 5 hp is big enough for the 22 Cruiser. Thoughts?
Paul aboard the Joni Lynn
Mr. Fisherman

State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1995
Vessel Name: Sea Lion
Photos: Sea Lion
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 5:24 pm    Post subject: nope Reply with quote

To answer Pauls question, somewhat, I offer this.

I think it depends on where you boat.
I have an 8HP Honda kicker. When my main motor went down hard 8 miles out to sea it was all she could do to push my lighter 22' Angler 3mph.

I think I would like a few more ponies now on the kicker.

Just food for thought.

I am following this thread as I really want a tender too and have been trying to justify one. Too many other things on the list right now...

Live to Fish
Fish to Live
Rick from Maine

City/Region: No. Berwick
State or Province: ME
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunky Dory
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 6:52 pm    Post subject: Tenders Reply with quote

Hi Paul,

The 5 HP OB will push the 22' C-Dory at 3 - 4 knots at 3/4 throttle in light winds. It doesn't have enough power to maneuver well in current or wind. It is an independent engine to get me to sheltered waters if the main breaks. It can troll for fishing at slow speeds well. I can steer by using the tiller on the 5 HP or by using the wheel in the pilot house where the main acts as a rudder.

It is a compromise that works for me.

Although the inflatable is rated for 4 HP, the 5 HP works fine.

It weighs about 40 #, and with my transom mount, it is easy to switch it from the C-Dory to the dink.

I figure it will get me to sheltered waters if the main breaks. It is a 2 stroke, and I carry a portable gas can for it. So, it is totally independent of the C-Dory main propulsion.

Since river currents here can exceed 7 knots, I plan to only get to sheltered waters to anchor, until conditions allow going home.

Rick
ffheap

City/Region: Hingham
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Year: 1983
Vessel Name: Inn-The-Water
Photos: Inn-The-Water
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Folks,

To Rick, thank you. Hope to see you in Fairhaven. Depends on weather for me.

About the kickers. I had a 7.5 HP Johnson. It never worked because I never used it until I had to. Then it did not work. The Maintenance was about $100.00 a year. When I purchased the new 75 HP Yahama Four Stroke, I purchased unlimited towing for about $93.00 . Because I am a USCGAux and USPS member I get a discount. I feel that if BOATUS Tow doesn't come and get me, the USCG will. The boat is also a USCGAux Opfax.

Man-From-Nantucket
Adeline

City/Region: Vancouver
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: Adeline
Photos: Adeline
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ffheap, I was right under the Tacoma Narrows Bridge when Mr. Big's(Johnson 70) stator let go. I had to get to Swantown Marina(Olympia) which was about 30 miles, I guess. Of course I was running against a raging ebb. My kicker is a 15 Johnson that I had come to believe was overkill for normal use(too heavy). I ran her at about 3/4 throttle for 7 or 8 hours to get home. At times I was barely making headway through some of those narrow passages. The 15 has been propped to acieve her max. @ 6250 R.P.M. as specified and @ times I needed all of it. I've never had to try and cross the Columbia River Bar with it, thank god( maybe on a flood tide), but I'm happy I've got it if I need it. Pete

Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adeline-

I've got a similar, 15 horse Johnson kicker and find it's a great back up motor.

Although it has more than enough horsepower to drive the CD-22 at maximum displacement hull speed, when smaller motors have trouble keeping pace because of strong winds or tides, the bigger kicker shines.

I changed the prop from a 10 inch pitch to a 5 inch to allow it to rev up more easily and avoid lugging and fouling the plugs. They also make a 7 inch pitch, but the 5 seems ideal from the way it performs. Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Joni Lynn

City/Region: Guttenberg
State or Province: IA
Vessel Name: Joni Lynn
Photos: Joni Lynn
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 1:17 pm    Post subject: Tenders Reply with quote

Hi All,
Thanks everyone for the input/responses. I'll have to noodle this one out a bit before I make any changes. We're boating, generally, in relatively protected waters; however, as is most often the case, when an engine decides to quit, it's seldom in the friendliest of waters and never at a convenient time. Therefore, it seems prudent to have a backup that will handle most of the conditions most of the time......ergo....stay with the 9.9. But I love the idea of having only one "extra" engine aboard ! Yup, I'll have to think about this for a while. Thanks all.
Paul aboard the Joni Lynn
SeaSpray

City/Region: Brentwood, CA
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: SeaSpray
Photos: SeaSpray
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,
Is there anyone with a CD22 that uses a Portaboat as a tender?
It looks like it could store folded flat on the cabin top if it is not too heavy to get up there.
I am not sure how it would be to try to unfold it in the cockpit since they are about 10ft long. You would also have to get it on the boat and fold it flat for storage. If it would work they look like good boats.
Steve
Soundinvestment

City/Region: Palmer Alaska
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2002
Vessel Name: Sound Investment
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We use a 6.5' inflatable slated flor roll up on our 22' Cruiser with a 2 hp Honda 4 cycle. The little boat weighs 32 pounds and fits perfectly behind the radar pod on Yakama kyak racks. It takes about 2 minutes to launch or recover. It is always ready and I don't need to carry any 2 stroke oil. The down side is that it is only rated for about 430 pounds. The boat is totaly full to the brim with the wife our dog and myself. One other thing, the little motor has it's own built in gas tank. But make no mistake it will run out of gas in a hurry just running across a bay so I always carry a MSR camp stove bottle of fuel with me when venturing ashore.

Dave

Sound Investment

SeaSpray

City/Region: Brentwood, CA
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: SeaSpray
Photos: SeaSpray
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,
Your tender sounds very similar to the one I recently purchased.
I am interested in how you attached the yakama racks to your CD. Are they attached to the hand rails? If so what fit kit did you use? Do you have any pictures?
Thanks,
Steve
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had a Mercury 6'7" inflatable on Daydream - when I was in that by myself first time out, got an unsolicited "You look like 10 lbs of [dukie] in a 5 lb bag..." Wife would not get in it. Call back to Buster's Marine, they took it back for a $50 restocking fee, and we are now happy as clams (are clams really happy??) in our 7'11" Merc, with a 2.5 hp Merc outboard...The dinghy on the boat in the little picture in the signature below is the Costco $79 Intex, a pretty good little inflatable, but at over 9', it was just too big.

Soundinvestment wrote:
We use a 6.5' inflatable slated flor roll up on our 22' Cruiser with a 2 hp Honda 4 cycle. The little boat weighs 32 pounds and fits perfectly behind the radar pod on Yakama kyak racks. It takes about 2 minutes to launch or recover. It is always ready and I don't need to carry any 2 stroke oil. The down side is that it is only rated for about 430 pounds. The boat is totaly full to the brim with the wife our dog and myself. One other thing, the little motor has it's own built in gas tank. But make no mistake it will run out of gas in a hurry just running across a bay so I always carry a MSR camp stove bottle of fuel with me when venturing ashore.

Dave

Sound Investment

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Bess-C

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Bess-C
Photos: Bess-C
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have the same 7' 11" roll up as Pat. Pat and others, where are you storing your dingy outboards? We just got a 2 hp Honda and are having a debate about where it will be most out of the way. We have carried the inflatable upside down on the roof. I'm thinking about getting a rail mount transom bracket for the outboard. However, it will get in the way when docking if mounted outside the boat, and in the way all of the time if mounted inside of the boat. Is anyone carrying the outboard on the roof?
Lyle

17 Center Console C-Dory 10/16
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Dinghys All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: