Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nan-C

City/Region: Oakland
State or Province: CA
Vessel Name: Nan-C
Photos: Nan-C
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Portland Pudgy is a great boat, and the roof top mounting is both interesting and well done. Because those reading this thread are interested in dinghies, I am going to mention the Gig Harbor dinghy that weighs in at 72# for the 8' boat. www.ghboats.com. We bought one today and hope we love it as much as you love the Pudgy. Congratulations on a great installation.

Regards,

Greg
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
State or Province: WA
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny how we both bought dinghys from across the county. Yours was built 3 miles from our house. I did consider the 8ft GH boat while shopping but the Pudgy won out for us. Bummer on the weight but it's packed with features.
Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
Aurelia

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to mention that the radar seems to work fine with the boat on top of the cabin and thats with an electric trolling motor mounted to the center seat and tilted horizontally.
Aurelia

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More pics posted of what the launch is looking like so far. It gained another brace between the bars tonight and a new permanent fender on the water end. See our pudgy album and we are off tomorrow AM for a few nights up north. See some of you in FH.
Aurelia

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now in phase 2, the launch looks like an 18 ft teeter totter and works much nicer than the original design. The rail to water section is very similar as before but without the angled section at the top. It now simply slides into two stainless rod holders on the bow rail and is held in place by gravity and extra gravity with the upper section that just slides in with no fasteners necessary. As long as the water is relatively calm with just the normal waves/wakes, it all stays quite uneventful. In terrible weather, we just grab the tow harness.

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album1235&id=0630002055_G&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album1235&id=0628002100_G&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

We are still using a pulley system for the raise but the bars go all the way to the roof mounted rack so there is no more interference with the brow over the windows. Launching is very easy but we are still tweaking the raise system details. The two rail sections are just lifted out of place and they nest on one side of the Pudgy on the roof rack (thank goodness for that long 25 roof). I will get more action pics this week in BC at the gathering.
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very ingenious.
Aurelia

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:36 pm    Post subject: Pudgy Power Reply with quote

I had a question about the two power options we use and here is what I gave for an answer.

As you have have noticed, we have both electric and gas motors for the Pudgy and here is why. The 2hp gas motor will push it at 5-6 knots without straining and for as long as we have a little gas available. We use the boat for non-c-dory camping trips (separate trailer for hauling) and extended explorations away from Aurelia as well so the gas option is great to make the distance and have a far reach and cover lots of ground in a body of water such as Banks Lake or Potholes Reservoir. The electric motor is great for its lack of noise and still pushes the boat at 0-4 knots either from the 10AH battery I built into the boat or a separate 55AH and 80AH batteries we have available and portable. On some lakes we like to fish, the gas motor is not allowed so the electric is used for that as well. With the small built in Pudgy battery (solar charged), we can toss the electric on a get to shore and back (about 1.5 mile range at 2 knots) without touching the gas motor and so far Cindie likes to use the elec herself more than the gas version. We sometimes have both on the transom and do some switching back and forth as needs change and I can actually still sit on the back bench although I do have a small rear end.

I nearly started drilling for a mount to put the electric drive on the gas transom for a hybrid but it has not yet been that necessary.

I will say the 99 dollar Motorguide Thruster does push the boat basically as well as the 400+ dollar salt water Minn Kota Riptide 55 we had and uses less power to get the job done. The way we use it, I don't think the Salt water "protection" is worth the price difference as we don't leave it in the salt when it is not pushing the boat. The prop design on the Thruster seems to be the difference and I can't believe they don't have prop options for more if the Minn Kotas. Weedless trolling vs. efficient thrust is a battle still being won by the trollers so far I guess.

Also looked at the Torqeedo of course and still can't make sense of it for us. It has some great features and specs and a solid amount of thrust but it can't really go the distance. It would give about 7-9 miles of range at medium speed but then you need a 110volt recharge for 8 hours which is tough to accomplish at anchor and takes EIGHT HOURS or you carry an extra battery which they charge 600 dollars for. Still a novelty for the rich/short distance boater.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gregg,

It was really fun to get to see this system in action at the Sequim Bay CBGT. Great job of putting all the pieces together. PP Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Aurelia

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvey, your pic plus one more and some info along with a video link from the Anita Marie at the Friday Harbor gathering is now on the Portland Pudgy website under "towing and carrying". This fuel the courage of others to pursue the pudgy as an option. I know C-daisy will be featuring the rugged little craft soon.

http://www.portlandpudgy.com/Portland%20Pudgy%20Safety%20boat_transporting.htm
amy and karl

City/Region: Graham
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: C-DAISY
Photos: C-DAISY
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pudgy was just delivered Tuesday. Might try to finish fitting the racks this weekend after the warrior dash Saturday. I think I'm going to have to eat my wheaties, for the pudgy that is.

Karl
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gregg,

Thanks for the heads up. I still think they are the best tender ever. I just got my bracket finnished so I can carry my inflatable now, carried over the cockpit.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon
Aurelia

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taking one across the Atlantic right now. Left this morning.

But this guy is using it a little differently:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2418598/Jonathan-Trappe-IT-manager-attempts-cross-Atlantic-simply-clinging-helium-BALLOONS.html

http://clusterballoon.com/
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it looks as if the currents are carrying him North West. There can be some very fierce winds going that way. (InReach track). I think the guy is crazy, but maybe he will make it. Hopefully he has an EPRIB--and lands someplace that others are not put at risk to rescue him...
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like he made it to Newfoundland Island near Corner Brook and landed for the night--made about 468 miles. I wonder if he droppedballest or popped balloons?

If some remember a Brazilian Priest a few years ago tried this with a lawn chair and about 100 "party balloons"--and lost his life in the south Atlantic.

This fellow seems better equipped, but...I wish him luck
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
It looks like he made it to Newfoundland Island near Corner Brook and landed for the night--made about 468 miles. I wonder if he droppedballest or popped balloons?

If some remember a Brazilian Priest a few years ago tried this with a lawn chair and about 100 "party balloons"--and lost his life in the south Atlantic.

This fellow seems better equipped, but...I wish him luck

Must have popped balloons as dropping ballast would make him go up.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Dinghys All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: