Portland Pudgy
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Old Dog

City/Region: Ridgefield
State or Province: WA
Photos: Mood Magic
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it is worth, if any of you happened to look at the pictures of Mood Magic, you'll note the wood/fiberglass pram mounted on the swim platform. It was fun to build while I was waiting for my R-25, looks really good on the tug, rows like a dream with just one aboard and would probably sail fairly well if I added stuff but it is too unstable and too easily damaged to be adequate as a dinghy. Particularly when one considers the unlikely, ugly possiblity of having to abandon ship for whatever reason in nasty conditions. We do all have a plan and an abandon ship bag, do we not?

After doing the same research that everyone else has, I came to the same conclusion and have a Portland Pudgy arriving about the end of this week. All I will have to do to mount it is to move the Weaver davits on the swim platform to match the Pudgy.

Will feel a lot better with the Pudgy on board but aesthetically .........

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:57 am    Post subject: The PP's are coming Reply with quote

Hi, for those that are waiting, I got a call from Tony early this morning and he is quit sure the Portland Podgy's are coming. Should be in town before he gets back from down south, (week or two).
Harvey
SleepyC Moon

TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Googled C-Dory images and this came up on the first page of hits. Reminded me of this discussion.

http://www.portlandpudgy.com/mail2.htm

Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it sounds like storing one of these on a 22 would be a tough task but how would a 25 handle it? If a clever person could devise a simple way to bring it up to the roof and back off again, do you think the weight of 150-200 lbs would significantly impact the stability of a loaded 25 classic? I have been interested in the Pudgy and have been thinking about how to make it work for a 25. I have some rigging experience and am not afraid to try something challenging and it doesn't seem like the weight would really be a problem for the boat. Many owners seem to carry at least 75lbs of inflatable and other items on the roof.
Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The PP website claims the boat tows well, better than an inflatable.

Warren

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I called a talked to someone at the shop in Maine yesterday and he said they had towed it successfully up to 28 knots! I told him that was almost precisely the top speed of my boat but the truth is I would like to carry it more than tow it.

Do folks use a special rope type or rope floats for towing dinghys? How do you keep it out of the props?
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aurelia wrote:
So it sounds like storing one of these on a 22 would be a tough task but how would a 25 handle it? If a clever person could devise a simple way to bring it up to the roof and back off again, do you think the weight of 150-200 lbs would significantly impact the stability of a loaded 25 classic? I have been interested in the Pudgy and have been thinking about how to make it work for a 25. I have some rigging experience and am not afraid to try something challenging and it doesn't seem like the weight would really be a problem for the boat. Many owners seem to carry at least 75lbs of inflatable and other items on the roof.

I doubt the weight up top would be much of a problem for the stability of the 25 but unless you have a properly designed and fitted davit, get a 125 rigid boat on and off the roof is a major challenge. I was amazed at how difficult it can be just to get a small inflatable on and off the roof especially in anything other than flat conditions.

Dreamer

City/Region: Really Sunny SaddleBrooke
State or Province: AZ
Photos: Dreamer
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg,

Polypropylene rope, similar to water ski rope but a larger diameter works well for towing. It floats.

Once a C-Brat, always a C-Brat

Dreamer- Sold 25 Feb. 2013
Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The factory sent me a price list today in .doc format. They have a $300 fall discount on the price of a basic boat right now.

$2595 for the basic boat

$1095 for the new improved sailing kit

They said shipping to the west coast ran about $300.

If anyone wants the full pricelist, I can forward it to you.

Greg
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know if I would recommend it for others, but our Mokai is 100 lbs without fuel and motor and we at times carry it on top of our 22CD. I take it off and on by myself because Jo-Lee's bad shoulders don't allow her to help. Also in 2007 on our Alaska Inland passage cruise we towed it behind the boat for the entire cruise of almost 2000 miles and that was with engine and fuel tank with a total weight of 150 lbs. Unless glassy water speed was limited to about 16 mph. With hip tie going to docks worked smooth for us. Seems to me the Pudgy could work well for towing on an extended cruise with the 25CD

My concern would be if it really could handle the nasty stuff like our Mokai was able to under tow. Just being better to tow then an inflatable is not a good comparison because they are notorious for flipping when towed at planing speeds in poor sea conditions.

Jay

Aurelia

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well........ we did it and ordered a yellow Pudgy and plan to keep it upright on the roof of our 25. We may tow it when cruising slow from bay to bay as well. I plan on designing and building a launching rig to get from roof to water and back over the bow and although I have a basic plan in mind, I may have to rely on some of your clever input to get the final solution in place. We love a challenge and are not afraid to drill and few holes. Now we wait....

Greg and Cindie
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aurelia wrote:
Well........ we did it and ordered a yellow Pudgy and plan to keep it upright on the roof of our 25. We may tow it when cruising slow from bay to bay as well. I plan on designing and building a launching rig to get from roof to water and back over the bow and although I have a basic plan in mind, I may have to rely on some of your clever input to get the final solution in place. We love a challenge and are not afraid to drill and few holes.

Very cool -- please share your path to this decision. I will be most interested in your launching rig.

I carry my inflatable Alaska series upright on my Tom Cat roof and have to struggle when it fills with rainwater. At the SBS I talked to Jim King about rigging a drain through the floor. Does the Pudgy have a drain plug?

Warren
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were going to try to tow the PP in tough conditions at all, I'd get as very tight and strong cover made for it to keep the water out, and remove the outboard and any thing else not bolted down.

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Aurelia

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you will both be happy to hear that not only does a pudgy have a drain plug but you can also leave it out while towing because it is self bailing with up to 30 extra pounds of gear stored in the waterproof walls. It has also been test towed up to 28 knots without any tendency to flip and they encouraged me to try that for myself (tempting). The bottom of the boat is a foam filled block with a flat floor inside so the drain plug is actually above water line without people in it. That was one of the intelligent designs that sold us on the product.

We also picked it because:

-basically puncture proof and truely unsinkable.
-Will motor nice with an electric motor or small gas (we are in no hurry)
-Better stability that most other hard boats
-re-entry from the water is not difficult and can be done solo with no ladder
-Lots of waterproof storage for gear built into the boat hull walls. I plan to add a -small permanent battery system with solar charging to plug my electric motor into for short trips to shore or dock and back without lugging the battery "box".
-Designed as a life boat as well and features serious weathering ability with a drift anchor.
-Very low maintenance materials that take a beating and don't add to my chores
-Tows great with standard towing eyes and bridal and full keel with actual "boat" shaped hull
-Will serve as great impervious exploration craft for us when we leave the big boat at the marina.
-Rows very well
-on and on and on

I have been looking for used units for the last 8 months and found exactly two in the county during that time so it seems those who have them tend to hang onto them.

Check out the website for the much more. Portlandpudgy.com
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dreamer wrote:
Greg,

Polypropylene rope, similar to water ski rope but a larger diameter works well for towing. It floats.

This is what we use and is made just for towing dinghies.

Says it floats and won't foul the props. I learned different the hard way. Floats fairly well, but will sink and definitely if not careful will foul the prop. Think its the best one going for towing, but it will sink and that consideration must be kept in mind.

Jay
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Dinghys All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: