The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Prospective owner seeks performance data
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kapitano

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:26 pm    Post subject: Prospective owner seeks performance data Reply with quote

Hello Everyone:

I'm a prospective owner and have only recently discovered the C-Dory world. I've done some research and am quite impressed with the design and apparent handling of these fine boats but I can't seem to find one bit of info I'm looking for. Please don't laugh too hard but I am curious about top speed and the possibility of pulling my kids on water skiis, wake boards and tubes. I do know that this is outside the normal use intended but if it was possible it would allow me to buy this boat now rather than in 3 or 4 years when they're out of the house. Primary use would be on a lake doing things listed above but I do live only 5 miles from the Atlantic ocean so I could of course get much use there that I couldn't with the standard family bow-rider. I'm thinking of the 16' or 19'.

Thanks in advance.
D
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know which model you are looking at, but I can't see why any of them couldn't pull a tube as I pull my 12 foot zodiac with my cd 22 at 20 mph with ease when the seas are flat. It has two twin honda 45s. I could go even faster, but what is the hurry. I bet a 19 or a 22 could pull a skier pretty darn well as my 22 will go just over 30 mph with 4 adults and a light fishing load. I ski all the time with only 85 hp on my very heavy 16 foot lake boat (not a dory). I say go for it! I have never seen a dory with ski tower.....you could have a first!
Larry H

City/Region: Tulalip,
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1991
Photos: Nancy H
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kapitano,

Welcome to the board!

How fast does the tow boat have to travel to pull the kind of water toys you are interested in pulling?

How much reserve power does the tow boat have to have at the towing speed to compensate for the extra load of a single skier doing turns or tricks?

These answers could help with your selection.

A C-Brat since Nov 1, 2003
Ranger Tug 27 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2017 - 2022
Puget Trawler 37 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2006-2017
1991 22' Cruiser, 'Nancy H'--1991-2006

Last edited by Larry H on Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
kapitano

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Larry;

Thanks for the quick reply and also for the "welcome". I guess the speed range for skiing is about 15 to 30 mph. I don't think much reserve is needed for recreational skiing - the pros pull hard in the turns and the boat might need reserve to handle that but for me I don't think it's a consideration. I think what I need to find out is the minimum planing speed and the top speed that is normal for a lightly loaded boat.

Thanks
Doug
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My previous boat, a 22' aluminum Hewescraft, was powered by a Honda 130. I used this boat on many lakes in Utah. What I found was that experienced skiers could get up behind this boat but novice skiers needed a boat with more of a holeshot to yank them up.

The C-Dory 22 weighs 1925# and the Hewescraft 22 weighs about the same. Because the C-Dory maximum hp is 100 I conclude that you will have a suboptimal experience pulling water skiers with one. The performance with the 16 or 19 will be correspondingly worse. Now with a 300 hp Tom Cat, that's another story.

Keep in mind that this was at elevations of 5000' and above. How much more power you will have at sea level, I do not know.

You do not need much power to pull a water toy. We had one and my kids and their friends had a lot of fun with it. You are not supposed to pull those faster than about 20 mph but there isn't a kid out there who won't plead and beg you to go faster. Laughing

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
Larry H

City/Region: Tulalip,
C-Dory Year: 1991
Photos: Nancy H
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kapitano,

The minimum planing speed for a lightly loaded CD 22 is about 12 knots. If a strong 'hole shot' is needed, consider a Suzuki 90 which swings a larger diameter prop than other 90hp motors.

The other motor that has lots of torque is a 115hp Evinrude E-TEC fuel injected 2- cycle.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been water skiing for a long time. We have skiied my children with a 12 foot inflatable with 9.9 hp, I skiied a number of years (long ago) with 25 hp on a 13 foot boat and 35 hp on a 15 foot--including slalom skiing. Most of the time in these low powered boats one has to use two skiis and drop one for slalom skiing. We owned an 18 foot moderate V, which weighed as much as a CD 19, and the 115 hp was plenty to skii behind, including getting a skilled skiier up on a single slalom.

The CD 19 or 22 with max hp should be OK for skiing or tubbing. The only problem is that the boat has a very small keel, so that a heavy skiier can pull the stern of the boat around, especially a heavy skiier on a slalom.
The other potential issue, is that you will have to have have a seat/chair for the observer in the cockpit.

A fast hole shot is good for skiing--and a lower pitched, larger prop, plus one of the fins (Dolfin/permatrims) and trim tabs will help with getting up on a plane faster.

As these flat bottom boats get up around the high 20's and low 30's they tend to be a little skittish. There is a minimal speed to get and keep a skiier up--generally that is about 20 mph. Often ski boats run at 22 to 25 mph. I have skiied at 75 mph on a slalom ski (hang on and hope you don't fall), and there are some racing skiiers who go over 100 in the races (such as the round trip race from Long Beach CA to Avalon and back).

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to ski behind my 16 foot lake boat at 23-27 mph. Any faster and I feel uncomfortable. I feel like 30 is fast; really fast to me anyway. I really can't believe that a 19 with a good 90 hp couldn't easily do it. I have an evinrude 85 on my 16 foot lake boat and can ski with 6 people in the boat at 25 mph. It is a four cylinder 2 stroke and I would assume it has a lot of torque, but still, you should be able to do it.
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not skied but have tubed behind the Susan E. I had james in the tube and 5 of his freinds in the boat with me. thats 1200lbs of fun total. We had a great time with no trouble getting the kids up to speed or bumped out of the tube. Pulled a lot of S turns and figue eights without to much speed loss. I also had four of the boys jump off the top of the cabin at one time. c-dorys are a well made boat.
Yellowstone

City/Region: White Sulphur Springs
State or Province: MT
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Vessel Name: Farwest II
Photos: Farwest III
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello - I have very limited experience pulling water skiers with my CD 22
but more experience with the Honda 90 (1996) and Mercury 115 EFI (2006). Top speed (assuming flat water) at sea level is about 31 with Honda 90 and 34 with Merc. 115 EFI - all of this depending on fuel, water, equipment and passenger load - which is so variable. Eliminating the 20 gallons of water (about 160 lbs) from the CD 22 is significant when going for top speed. I found that the 115 Merc easily pulls a high school boy (165 lbs) out of the hole, (at 3,500 foot elevation) but when he would swing out to either side, it would require oversteering to maintain direction. The towing rope hooked to the rear cleat level - hardly ideal. CD 22's are weight sensitive (as are all boats of this size) At top speed with trim tabs aligned properly, my CD 22 can be a little bit squirrely. Cutting back to 22-25 mph is much more stable. Any CD would be a compromise for water skiing, but no more versatile rig is made today.
Yellowstone

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:59 am    Post subject: Skiing with a CD Reply with quote

Dr. Bob wrote,

The only problem is that the boat has a very small keel, so that a heavy skiier can pull the stern of the boat around, especially a heavy skiier on a slalom.

Good advice, the flat bottom and minimal keel will alow a large skier doing tight turns to pull the stern around some. Now if the tow line is attached to the high radar arch, and all the friends are riding in the cockpit, it could make for some nice wake jumping.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon [/quote]

DaveS

City/Region: Arlington
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D,
Welcome aboard to C-Brats! We used our previously owned 16' with Honda 50 for pulling tubers and have used our currently owned 22' with twin Johnson 50's for pulling tubers. Both vessels worked very well for this. Since these vessels have enclosed cabins, I tape the "skier down" flag mast onto a long piece of dowling so the flag is easily raised well above the cabin height so other vessels can see that you have a tuber somewhere out in the water waiting to be retrieved. (Never tried it, but suspect you could get a skiier up if they used two skis).

C-Brat #16
kapitano

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentlemen, thank you for your advice and comments. I am now off to the other forums to brush up on all I need to know to pick out a good used CD.

Doug
Alyssa Jean

City/Region: Guemes Is.(Anacortes)
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Alyssa Jean
Photos: Anna Leigh and Alyssa Jean
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the site Doug. All you need to know about C-Dory's you will find on in this forum. Just type in what you want to know in the Search window. Or ask.

Alyssa Jean 16 Angler
Anna Leigh 22 Cruiser Sold 2005
Anna Leigh 25 Cruiser Sold 2014

K7KJR C-Brats #51
rdn4sun

City/Region: SE
State or Province: SC
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="DaveS"]D,
Welcome aboard to C-Brats! We used our previously owned 16' with Honda 50 for pulling tubers and have used our currently owned 22' with twin Johnson 50's for pulling tubers. quote]

DaveS,
Do you know Mr. Potatohead personally?

elmo

:^)>
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: