The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

HULL CHANGES MADE IN THE 22' C-DORY CRUISER

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GCULHANE

City/Region: STOCKTON
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1983
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Vessel Name: Sea Duce
Photos: Sea Duce
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:37 pm    Post subject: HULL CHANGES MADE IN THE 22' C-DORY CRUISER Reply with quote

I'M LOOKING TO BUY A USED 22' C-DORY CRUISER, DOES ANY ONE KNOW OF ANY SITTING AROUND ? ?

C-DORY MADE SOME HULL CHANGES WHAT MODEL YEAR DID THEY DO THAT ? ?

WHAT WERE THE CHANGES MADE ? ?

DID THAT MAKE A BIG DIFFERENCE ??

G. CULHANE
209-467-3300
gculhane@sbcglobal.net
Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:14 pm    Post subject: Dorys for Sale Reply with quote

There are at least 8 listed on the for sale portion of the CBrats, site.
Larry H

City/Region: Tulalip,
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1991
Photos: Nancy H
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GC,

The CD 22 started in about 1980-81 as a flat bottom boat designed for fishing. Those models are now referred to as the 22 Classic.

In the late 1980's the hull was changed to put some shape in to the bottom. The cabin was also changed to a short cabin model (Angler) and to a longer cabin model(Cruiser). The current 22 Angler and Cruiser are essentially the same since the late 1980's.

The change to the hull reduced the pounding in chop.

If you are asking if anyone knows of any "old, derelict, 22's sitting in someones back lot" I would say chances are slim.

These boats hold up both as to condition and price. Also, not a lot of boats were built in the earlier years. I owned a 22 cruiser built in 1991 and the hull was number 526.

If you check out the top menu item "Our C-Dorys, you can see the list of 22's both old and new. Then go to the photo albums of the ones of interest. We have lots of photos!!

PS: No need to "SHOUT" here. (Using all caps) Wink

A C-Brat since Nov 1, 2003
Ranger Tug 27 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2017 - 2022
Puget Trawler 37 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2006-2017
1991 22' Cruiser, 'Nancy H'--1991-2006
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GCULHANE-

Here are some selected comments I've made earlier describing the C-Dory "Classic" as opposed to the later Cruiser and Angler models first made in 1987 and thereafter:

All 22's before 1987 are the classic models. They look like an 1987 or later Angler externally because they have a shorter cabin, but have a diffeerent layout in the cockpit and the cabin.

The pre-87's have a short cabin, an open port side of the interior bulkhead to the v-berth, a shortened dinette table and single seat to port, a small space to the rear of the helm to starboard, a lower roof line (no center bulge), the stern has a center motor well with both sides at the stern open and a shelves below, the rear cabin bulkhead and door are wood, and the boat has a flat bottom that looks exactly like the bottom of a clothes iron.

Most of us have the 1987 or later models. Those of us with the Cruisers love them for their interior amenities: galley, sink, dinette, convertible berth, private v-berth, etc. This is a conventional design that sells exactly because it has appeal to the couple/family buyer and requires little modification for most uses. The Angler, the more direct descendant of the Classic CD, is more like the original boat with a larger cockpit and a more spartan interior. The factory for a short while offered a Sport Fisher (I think that's the term) which is more of a day-use fishing boat without the rear cabin bulkhead and more dedicated seating.

The original Classic design probably seemed a little unorthodox and less immediately appealing to potential customers. The open rear sides of the cockpit and narrow central engine well don't look like a typical purpose designed fishing boat at the boatshow. The interior lacked finished definition of space and was missing the elements of spousal appeal and privacy that create the consensus necessary to write the down payment check. And the absolutely flat, seemingly cut off bottom was to most an enigma that just left most shoppers wondering. Thus the re-design of the boat for 1987.

But, having looked at and considered this design for a good number of years, it makes more and more sense, especially for use as a dedicated fishing machine.

The large and very open cockpit has loads of room and can be modified to accommodate a lot of fishing, crabbing, and other equipment. Rods, nets, livewells, fishboxes, traps, davits, dingies- maybe you can't have them all, but you can have more of them than with a two foot shorter cockpit with closed transom corners.

Internally, the cabin can be modified as needed for your specific needs. Lots of room there to tailor the boat to your fishing/boating plans. A
project person's dream with a few tools and some time.

The hull's secrets are usually untold. The absolutely flat bottom rocks somewhat less at rest than a shallow v. ( and a lot less than a deep v, which the CD's are not). It planes relatively easily, like the shallow V of the later boats, and sets flat on a mud or sand bottom with the tide out, so you won't want roll out of bed when the tide takes its leave, or need a gimballed stove for breakfast. Plus, it's draft should be even shallower than the shallow V.

Overall, it appears the Classic C-Dory was very carefully and cleverly designed as a utility fishing boat with a lot of adaptability, but not very well understood by the public after the typical quick glance or look at the boatshow or dealer's lot. Probably even a good explanation of the boats qualities and design solutions by a salesman would be met with unsettled indecision unless the prospective buyer had a wealth of knowledge and experiences with fishing boats of this size and purpose.

But that's not to say that we can't today appreciate these Classic C-Dorys for what they are and how they can be used. As a dedicated fishing boat for a person who knows what they're going to do with the vessel and can determine how it fits their needs, it may be a very good fit. Especially if one likes projects and has the time to do the work. As such a boat like this actually provides a second hobby of boat modification that is entertaining in its own right.

The standard Angler has always come with a solid Alaskan bulkhead to the rear, to my knowledge, but custom boats can be ordered.

They did make a Sport Fisher model of the Cruiser with a cut away rear bulkhead a few years ago, but have discontinued it. It had bench seats inside instead of the dinette and galley, probably best suited for charter fishing use.

It would be easy to get an Angler modified with an open rear bulkhead, as a cut-away job is a lot easier than an add-on!

As an example of a custom boat, at the Factory Party two years ago, we saw a custom order 22 Cruiser with the galley eliminated and a stand-up enclosed head substituted in the starboard rear of the cabin.

Such custom orders are probably not sought out by the factory as they tend to take additional time to produce, but may be available for a fee.

If you like the Angler with the bulkhead, it's readily available already!

Hope this helps!

Joe. Thumbs Up Teeth

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
jennykatz

City/Region: naples
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Little Treasurer
Photos: Jennykatz
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:29 am    Post subject: diff size gas tanks Reply with quote

on the pre 2000 yr c-22 the fuel tanks were 18gallon ea. and the bilge pump was in the center hallway under the starboard door.

The 2000 model got 20 gallon tanks and i believe you could see through the plastic tank to see what she held

the tanks again were changed to 25 gallon in 2004-2005 i think

then in 2006-2007 they added the higher stepped floor in the back of the boat to do away with the added fiberglass panels you could add from 2000 -2006

also over the yrs they have added a front opening window , hyd. steering and now they changed the interior to all molded fiberglass .and the barber chair. i think i got most of the additions look up the c-dory factory web site you will see pre 2006 interiors good hunting

00 cd16 cruiser honda 40 sold 3/12
C-Otter

City/Region: Superior
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 1985
Vessel Name: C-Otter
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sea Wolf: My 1985 Classic has the bulge in the roof and it was not a custom order. Great fishing machine and a good overnighter or week-ender. Hull bottom and forward deck are plywood incased in fiberglass with molded in skegs. Transom has some coring.

These are the true C-Dorys and will last forever.
Have a hard time getting away from the landing, to many people asking questions. C-Otter.
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

C-Otter-

Thanks for the corrections and additons!

I'll incorporate them in the text above and in the original post later today when I get time (going fishing now).

We get asked this question every few months. There ought to be some fairly complete standard answers available to quote easily!

Joe. Thumbs Up Teeth
GCULHANE

City/Region: STOCKTON
C-Dory Year: 1983
Vessel Name: Sea Duce
Photos: Sea Duce
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the time & help !

Does any one know what year, C-Dory made the bottom changes to the dead rise on the 22' Cruiser ???

GCULHANE
Jazzmanic

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
Photos: C-Dancer
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sea Wolf wrote:
All 22's before 1987 are the classic models

I guess Joe didn't spell it out in his explanation but 1987 was the year that the hull changes were made.

Peter
C-Dancer
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: