View previous topic :: View next topic  
RicksAmigo1

City/Region: Southern Idaho
State or Province: ID
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Amigo II
Photos: Amigo
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 12:23 pm    Post subject: Deception Pass Adventure Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,
So what's the secret of maneuvering through Deception Pass? Rick gave me the "ride of my life" last Saturday. I thought we were history, but he wasn't worried. Felt kind of like I was in a cement mixer or washing machine. Things were being flung all about the cabin, including me. I read we were supposed to go in slack water, but somehow I think we were early. Needless to say we went north all the way around the island back to Cap Sante Boat Haven Marina. I didn't want to go back that way.
Pat

Aiviq

City/Region: Juba
C-Dory Year: 1985
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Aiviq
Photos: Aiviq
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went west out of Deception Pass on an incoming tide about a week ago. It was more exciting than I generally prefer (especially the whirlpools), and way more exciting than my wife cared for. Coming back in, it wasn't quite as bad (or at least it was over quicker). I think that circumstances allowing, timing the passage for slack water would make it less exciting (in a good way).
Jim
Sawdust

City/Region: Oak Harbor
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Photos: C-Salt
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wish it could get that exciting for me. Go through the pass almost every day -- today in a 14 ft. aluminum boat. The only time it gets nasty is on a strong ebb with the wind out of the west. Sporty.

If the main channel looks unpleasant I go through Canoe Pass, which is a fun trip, and can be used in almost all conditions. Probably best to have local knowledge the first time, but I'll be happy to guide any/all C Dory folks.

Dusty

DaveS

City/Region: Arlington
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went through there round trip two times with the 16'. Once with 3 adults (believe it or not that counts me...tee hee) and Jessica at peak flow for the day. Had no problem...just threw the throttle down and zipped through. Les and Dusty are the experts with C-Dorys through the pass.
(I am aware of one harrowing adventure someone had going through there with a 22' when some "clown" in a Large Bayliner came blasting through there. I don't remember all of the particulars however.

C-Brat #16
Chivita

City/Region: Hansville
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Chivita
Photos: Chivita
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat,

Sounds like either I have been lucky going through or you were not as lucky! At least you made it through in one piece, but then that's why there are so many C-Dory nuts around, they tend to survive those harrowing moments!

I have not had any problems (yet?!). I have used Dave's approach, as in zipping through while on plane. Don't know if I'd be as lucky if I was going through at a slow pace. I'd take Dusty up on his offer next time as I have found NOTHING beats local knowledge!

Wish you better passage next time!

Chivita Dave
RicksAmigo1

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A big Bayliner was going thru ahead of us and we also got kicked around by their wake, but they were bouncing around quite a bit, too. Rick was going pretty slow, and I think we'd been better off if he floored it, but what do I know. He says I exaggerate anyway. You know women always think it's worse than it is. Whatever. Rolling Eyes
Pat
Larry H

City/Region: Tulalip,
C-Dory Year: 1991
Photos: Nancy H
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI ALL,

Here is a link to the Deception Pass Current Tables. If you go thru AT SLACK you shouldn't have any problems. Very Happy

http://www.co-ops.nos.noaa.gov/currents04/DECEPTIN.shtml

You can print out this schedule.

A C-Brat since Nov 1, 2003
Ranger Tug 27 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2017 - 2022
Puget Trawler 37 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2006-2017
1991 22' Cruiser, 'Nancy H'--1991-2006
Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
C-Dory Year: 1995
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: Wilbur
Photos: Da Boats
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pat,

I've gone through a few times now, but still remember the first time very well - I can relate to your anxiety.

First time through, I was in the 19. Started through it pretty slowly, then felt that crazy "washing machine" effect you mentioned. Basically, it felt like I had little to no control, until I figured out I should stay on the gas pretty heavy.

The first time was the worst - now that I know to keep on the throttle, my subsequent trips have been significantly less stressful. Heck - I even look forward to it now. Nuthin' like a gorgeous passage and a little adrenaline rush to start off (or finish) your cruise... Mr. Green

Sawdust

City/Region: Oak Harbor
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Photos: C-Salt
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually no problem, and it's a good idea to check for big boats coming the other way. Wakes from the big cat passenger guys can build under the bridge and make life interesting.

With a strong ebb and west wind against it -- don't go. Wait for slack.

When the chinook season opens you will find old Dusty and a hundred or so other nuts in the "hole" under the South end of the bridge, fighting boat wakes, tangling lines, shaking fists, and having great sport. Y'all come, hear?

Dusty
Robbi

City/Region: Chambers Bay
C-Dory Year: 2023
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Photos: C-Run
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Local knowledge is so important in many spots in the Deception Pass/San Juan Island areas. I will reinforce what others have already mentioned-a strong ebb and west wind can get you into trouble in a number of spots. Even if the wind isn't blowing when you set out, if there has been a big westerly coming down the Straits the night before, the effects can be troublesome. My first time through was in a 14 foot kayak. We made sure conditions were good, and we left early in the morning at slack before boat traffic picked up. That was through Canoe Pass going west. It was absolutely stunning. That mornings passage is the most memorable of all of my boating experiences. If you want to see this area, take Dusty up on his offer of a guided trip through. You will love it. I came back through Deception alone a few days later. It was again calm, but just after passing under the bridge, the tidal ebb started. This area shallows up a bit and as the water is forced through, it causes waves to form across the channel much like what forms in rivers. I was amazed at how fast this happened, and how large the waves grew. As it turned out, I had no problem, but it was a bit nerve wracking. I have seen kayakers come through at max ebb againist the current! NOT for me. Robbi

2003 C-Dory 19
sold 2019

2004 C-Dory 16 Cruiser
Sold 8/2015

2004 C-Dory 19 "C-Run"
Sold 8/2011

1989 C-Dory 16 Angler
Sold 2010
DaveS

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This afternoon I ended up cruising through Deception Pass right at peak ebb for the day (6.2 knot current coming at me) with a moderate westerly wind behind me. This was our first trip through with the 22' and we had no problem. I did not feel the turbulence as much with the 22' as we had in the past with the 16'. Carol was even relaxed today sitting in the forward facing Barber chair as we passed through and Jessica was cuddled up in the V-Berth. (I too waited for a larger vessel to come through before I headed in).
jimandlaurie

City/Region: Puyallup
Photos: Laurna Jo
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We too haven't had a bad trip throught the Pass.
In reflecting on it I think that as I realized the " slightly out of control" feeling, I sensed the same feelings as when I am in my Big Truck and adapted my speed,actually more throttle, to regain better handling and control. Having to be in a defensive mode as to other traffic has been the main concern rather than the water conditions for me.

2004 C-Dory Skiff- Little Poit Dhubh
2005 C-Dory 25 Cruiser -sold 2103
2002- C-Dory 22 Cruiser- Sold 2005
RicksAmigo1

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK you guys, so Rick thinks it wasn't a big deal, just me overreacting as usual. Sorry to be such a wuss. Embarassed He plans on going thru again next weekend, with his buddy, Gary. I'll stay home and ride my horse Very Happy
Pat
DaveS

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat,
I've only been "bucked off" a boat once (when a gust of wind flattened the sailboat I was crewing on....was on the windward side on a trapeze..and ended up on the leeward side in the water after flying between the backstay and the mast), however been "bucked off" a horse more than once Crook . ........You'll be safer on the boat cruising through Deception Pass.... : Smile .

Enjoy your ride. Wink
Leo Smith

City/Region: West Seattle
Photos: Leo
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the biggest thrills I have had was taking a 10' inflatable with an 8hp outboard through Deception Pass. The word "MAYTAG" kept going through my mind! I didn't feel in danger with my low center of gravity and abundant floatation, but it is a little strange to be rotated 180 degrees while you are maintaining a steady hand on the outboard tiller. The cheering section up on the bridge made me wonder if the prudent thing would be to wait for slack tide. It was the screaming of my wife, up in the bow, that ultimately convinced me that turning back was the smart thing to do! I'm sure there must be a lesson somewhere with this experience!
Best Regards, Leo.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: