View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sawdust

City/Region: Oak Harbor
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Photos: C-Salt
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Point Roberts! Fun place -- we lived there when I had a business in Canada and of course had to communicate with customs daily. My car license was KGB-... lots of fun. "Here comes that KGB guy," and other such comments.

Owned a nice slip there, and wish I still had it. Of course it was a real PITA making two crossings when going to mainland WA.

Dusty
Sarge

City/Region: Edmonds
Vessel Name: Sea Badger
Photos: Gigi
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm like Nancy on Trinity, I didn't ask the question but I sure appreciate the answers.

I do have one of my own:

I'm thinking of going to Victoria by way of Port Townsend and returning the same way. Is there a U.S. Customs office in Port Townsend?

Thanks,

2001 2150 Bayliner, sold
2007 CD25, sold
2007 Harbercraft Kingfisher 2850, sold
2011 Stabicraft 2250SC, sold
2011 Eastern 18cc

Blog: http://theseabadger.wordpress.com
Peter & Judy

City/Region: Olds
State or Province: AB
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Mistaya
Photos: Mistaya
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:48 am    Post subject: Guns into Canada Reply with quote

2017 has been a bumper year for US tourism into Canada and along with American visitors come American guns. Bringing guns, especially handguns into Canada is illegal or highly restricted and can carry heavy fines and even jail time. So here is a friendly reminder. Canada is a very safe country and you don't need your firearms up here when you visit, so best to leave them at home.

Here is a link that might explain more.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2017/08/08/americans-keep-bringing-guns-to-canada-and-lying-about-it-prose_a_23070181/?utm_hp_ref=ca-homepage

HMCB Mistaya
"Mistaya" (Grizzly Bear in Cree)
HMCB (Her Majesties Cute Boat)
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as you follow the rules,and their are many, you can bring guns to and thru Canada. People should make that choice themselves as they see fit. http://www.realclearpolicy.com/blog/2013/01/11/assault_and_homicide_us_vs_canada_396.html

Looks like Canadians assault a lot more people then Americans or maybe its just the hockey stats???

ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

starcrafttom wrote:

Looks like Canadians assault a lot more people then Americans or maybe its just the hockey stats???

Could be more assaults in Canada because the assaulter is not concerned that the assaultee may be armed. In the US, the assaulter has a much bigger chance of things not going the way they intended.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Along the same thoughts, the Canadian border agents have access to the United States Data bases. I have on several occasions been told, at the border that because I have a concealed weapons permit in Florida, that it is more likely that I have a gun with me when I enter Canada (I don't take a gun into Canada)

The border agents also have access to potential criminal records in the US, and if there is a DWI, felony arrest, many misdemeanors, you probably will be denied entry to Canada.
Quote:
After 9/11 the United States and Canada have been sharing an increasing amount of information in the name of security, and as of 2010, the FBI criminal database is synced with the Canadian RCMP crime database.

If you have any RX drugs with you, have a copy of the prescription and keep it in the drug store original bottle. I ran into one customs agent in Prince Rupert who was going to go after my "Ship's Medicine chest" which should be immune from any restrictions of drugs as long as kept in the boat, under lock and key under international law. Fortunately he got a call on his radio to come to the ferry, and had to leave without inspecting it.

On the other hand I was in some serious trouble with US Customs last time I came back from Canada because I had some green onions Marie had purchased in Canada, and my chocks for the wheels were wood which might be suspect.... Smile

As far as bears--if you have bear spray, ( we ran into some places in Canada where it was required to have bear spray), be sure that it is approved in both Canada and the USA. (Our Counter Assault has both approvals on the canister). I had my .44 magnum shipped to a FFL dealer in Ketchikan. We bought ammo in Alaska, to avoid carrying it thru Canada, and raising suspicions. Shotgun was too bulky to carry in our RIB when we took dogs ashore. As Tom noted, hunting rifles and shotguns are fairly easy to take with you, but you have to follow the rules and have the permits ahead of time. Handguns--pretty much no go. When we checked into Canada, even by phone, we were often asked if we had guns aboard.

On the criminal issues: if you exclude a certain group of big cities in both Canada and the USA-- statistics on crime are going to be fairly similar.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One correction on hand guns ( i have to do this every time) you CAN take a handgun to Canada if you do the paper work. Its long and you have to plan well ahead for the interviews and back ground checks but you CAN do it.

DUI. Now that Washington state has decided that the ongoing heron problem is not a issue and are now starting heron safe sites to allow people to brake both federal and state law, it seems they have time to crack down on distracted drivers. Which will carry a conviction just like a DUI. Will canada allow E-DUI's holders to enter canada.??

Quote:
Could be more assaults in Canada because the assaulter is not concerned that the assaultee may be armed. In the US, the assaulter has a much bigger chance of things not going the way they intended.
Code:

Best argument to carry I have heard today.
Peter & Judy

City/Region: Olds
State or Province: AB
Vessel Name: Mistaya
Photos: Mistaya
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it is possible to bring some firearms into Canada, but is it worth the hassle.

http://www.ezbordercrossing.com/the-inspection-experience/transporting-firearms/bringing-a-firearm-into-canada/

I have an inlaw, a Texas Policeman who won't even go into his bathroom without his sidearm and sleeps with it under his pillow, who tried to enter Canada in the 1990's. He was denied entry, so he drove about 500 miles to another border crossing in different State/Province and made his wife hide his 45 in her underwear and this time didn't declare it. This was pre 911, but with the new databases he likely would not get across today.

I think that you as a traveler have to realize that travelling to Canada is not unlike travelling to most other countries in the world. I'm sure that you would have similar troubles if you tried to bring a firearm into any country in Europe for example, where firearm ownership is as restricted or more than it is in Canada.

Thankfully gun crime in Canada is quite low, unless you are a drug dealer trying to steal a rivals customers and piracy is unheard of, unless you plan to boat in Saskatchewan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuGGNsE3_8Y
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes you can take firearms into Canada, and Tom is right there is paperwork. Is it worth it? Maybe for some, not for me.

Since I have a CCP, I have noticed more pointed questions from the Canadian Boarder folks than I remember from way back, when I did not have the permit.

I remember hearing a story about a US guy who took an undeclared handgun into Canada, and made it in without discovery. Coming back into the US it was discovered. NOT a good result. He had the pistol confiscated, paid a big fine, and was "threatened" with confiscation of his passport.

If you have a DUI or a felony conviction in the US you will be denied access into Canada.

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: