The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Buying a used Ranger 21
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Rangers, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IT-SEA-BIT-C

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well said Ron ithink if ranger would put a little r&d in to new 21ec it would appeal to alot more people 14 to 16 mph cruise should be attainable ...thank you john
Ron Cowan

City/Region: Athens
State or Province: AL
C-Dory Year: 1985
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Vessel Name: Elk-Tenn
Photos: Elk-Tenn
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, I agree with you and would love to see the boat. The EC has some good improvements over my 2006 tug. If that cruise was available I would buy one but if I change now it will probably be for a CD22 or an Eastern 22 or 24. Good luck with your search. Ron
Wefings
Dealer

City/Region: Panhandle
State or Province: FL
Photos: Cruise Ship #4
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

327 Chevy !! I keep telling Ranger to offer it ! R21 H.O. edition .
Marc

Ron Cowan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, Another boat that may meet your needs is a 21' Atlas Pompano. This boat is standard with a 54HP Yanmar with options of 75 or 110 HP Yanmars. It is a lobster type boat and built in Cape Coral, Fl.
Good luck
Ron
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an ad for a used Atlas Pompano 21 that presents the boat better than the manufacturer's webiste!

Very interesting. Lacks enclosed pilothouse, though, for the PNW.

Atlas Pompano 21' Looks like A LOT for the $$$!!!

Look at 'er go! This ain't no displacement boat!

Joe. Thumbs Up Teeth

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
IT-SEA-BIT-C

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that cruise of 14kt 17top sure sounds nice wish ranger would wake up and offer more hp options for 21 .......john
IT-SEA-BIT-C

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyboby out there have actuall top speeds on thier 21ec? at wot.
IT-SEA-BIT-C

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey Ron,, if i may pick your brain again ,what exactly did you mean by "perfict boat for st. johns but not for tennese rvr"? not fimillar with either was it cause its rougher ? or were u planning longer trips ? more current? i would plan on using mine in the hudson river haverstraw bay mostly when it blows iy gets pretty choppy lots of white caps but thats kinda normal for me rivers about 3mi. wide there 30mi.south or so on the east side of manhattan is hell gate & the harlem river which can get rippin pretty good depending on tide do u think the 21ec would do well in thoes condotions?thanks Ron enjoyed all your posts.........john/
Ron Cowan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, The reference was in change of useage. On the St. Johns we are pleasure cruising up and down the river. Whether site-seeing or going out to eat it is limited in distance. On the Tennessee my son lives 165 miles away and my daughter 30 miles. Eating establishments are 5 to 30 miles away. to use the boat for all listed items just borders on not practical at 7 MPH. The pleasure cruising will still be great and rough water is not an issue. When I had the boat there this summer the locals commented on how rough the river was one day due to bad weather, so I went out check and had no idea what thier concern was. The boat handled great and I enjoyed having a little rough water with spray splashing onto the windows. As long as you can focus on the trip and not the destination this is a boat of boats but when you swing over to the destination it can get to you. Retirement is good and provides the time for the trip but my destination activity will become more frequent there.
Ron
K7MXE

City/Region: Eatonville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: R-21 EC Tug
Vessel Name: Lois H
Photos: Lois H
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:43 pm    Post subject: Speed of a CR21EC Reply with quote

I have two top speeds! First one is on a flat lake under what I
would call ideal conditions and took a while but hit ten knots on the gps.
Second top speed was coming out of Bonneville Dam and current was
really running and I got it up to 19kts and it was a hand full and I do
not recommend it or even trying it. One of things a man has to do.
My boat like 5.8kts the best and is easy on fuel at that pace and thats
what I do.
By the way my boat has the 30hp motor. Bob Heselberg Eatonville Wa
IT-SEA-BIT-C

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron &Bob, thanks for the info i love hearing about the handling abilites of the 21.appriceate the response Ron i feel like i"m in the same boat some of the best places off the hudson river are roudout creek ,catskill;etc...also about 50 -80mi.,good resturants nice small towns and so on......but but a 7 to 8 hr trip ?for dinner?bit to long .thats one of the only downsides of the 21.the 25 is nice but i cant afford one right now ,the eastern and atlas sure soud like they are alot more versitle speed wise (sea wolfs pic.)sounds like ur loyal to ur tug and i like to hear that .i guess i have to stop making it out to be something it isn"t,but i sure do like that little tug,thats why i wish they would just make it a little bit faster u said it yourself /i know its possible. dont take it personal but after a10 min demo 15 more at dock ifelt like i was in a sardine can in pilot house /im only 5"10 and felt cramped in v berth by myself /walking around rear deck felt like playn heel-toe -heel-toe,without trippin over motor box..........BUT I WOULD STILL PLUNK 60 G"s down on it ! ha ha. i know u know what i mean cause u guys beat me to it ireally like that little tug and appriceate any info i can get on it cause besides 3 guys going to alaska i cant find anything on it even all magazine ads only show 25 now.u guys are helpin me through my winter boat jones up here /please keep it commin brats fun talkin to u...........john
Ron Cowan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, One last post on this since it is leaving the C-brat main theme. Go to atlas boats for sale on the web and hit the one to take you to Yachtworld.com and look at the 25' for sale in Seattle. It is a 2001 and for sale for $62,000. Many factory installed extras such as galley up and deck extension. This should meet all I have heard you mention and would not have the issues you mentioned on your short tug visit. It is still not a Ranger tug with the cute appeal. Think hard if a C-Dory can't meet 95% of you criterior. The little tug is kind of love at first sight and is great all but for the short comings we have hit on this thread. I had actually gone to the boat place to buy a c-dory and they had a used tug on the lot. I wound up ordering a new one from Ranger but with my move coming I would have been better at this point in time to have bought the c-dory. It is a pity that I was not born rich instead of so good-looking (HA,Ha) Take your time and lay out what you must have, what you would like to have, what boats offer each and get a good demo on each. That atlas fulfills both lists for me but my checkbook says no now. That is the price for just building a new home on the Tennessee river. Sometimes our desires outpace our means.
Ron
IT-SEA-BIT-C

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cant thank you enough Ron and ur right gettin off theme so i"ll look forward to hearing from u on another traed ever feel like talking about ur tug i know id luv to listen .........john i might even start a new one asking owners that but don"t want to bore averyone .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Rangers, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: