View previous topic :: View next topic  
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:30 pm    Post subject: Anchor's Up again Reply with quote

OK, so now I have spent way too long looking for previous posts, and even google, for an anchor that I first found out about here on the C-Brats site. I have reread through most of what is in the Anchoring forum. I seem to remember it started with an "R". It was a spade shape vs a plow or claw, and it had a roll bar. There was some discussion about it and I sensed some antagonism towards the person who brought it up in several instances, who may have been a dealer or rep.

I would like to revisit that specific anchor, and have tried running it through the search engine here but without having the spelling of the name I am getting a ton of "not the right stuff".

Hope some of you have better memories than I do, and/or better search skills. Thanks for any help on this.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Mighty Bite

City/Region: Fairbanks, Alaska
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Mighty Bite
Photos: Mighty Bite
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try "Rocna" anchor and see if that's the one you're thinking about. I believe
it is out of New Zealand and it has a "roll bar".

Last edited by Mighty Bite on Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
DaveS

City/Region: Arlington
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Anchor's Up again Reply with quote

hardee wrote:
I seem to remember it started with an "R".
Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Rock?

(I just couldn't resist Mr. Green ....I do remember the discussion as well, but I'm unable to seriously answer your question, hopefully someone else can be much more helpful than I).....for some reason I'm thinking that it was manufactured in New Zealand.

C-Brat #16
hardee

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:21 pm    Post subject: That was Fast Reply with quote

Thanks to Mark:
Quote:
Try "Rocna" anchor and see if that's the one you're thinking about. I believe
it is out of New Zealand and it has a "roll bar".

I checked already an that is the one. (Thanks again, Mark!) I sure don't want to start anything bad here, but I did like what I saw about that anchor. If anyone has or knows anyone with experience either good or bad, with one of these I sure would like to hear about it. Thanks Brat's, and looking forward to seeing you at the SBS CBGT.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of good reports on the Ronca. The problem was that the developer (and this has happened with other anchors) had been promoting the anchor. This shouldn't detract from the anchor. Tests are very difficult to interput, but basically it is similar to the Delta or the Spade with a roll bar, and the reports from folks who use it are good. I stick with the Delta, since it works well for me, and the second anchor is a Danforth/Fortress type, since it is better in mud and some sands. The third is a fisherman, or Northill--again, works in different conditions, like weeds. So, no one anchor is the "solution".

The problem with some of these anchors is that there is no one perfect anchor and yes, the spade or Ronca might work slightly better in some conditions, but not in others...Is it worth the increased cost for our boats? There is also the Manson Supreme, which seems to be almost exactly the same as the Ronca. One question you have to ask is where the anchor is built, what steel is used, and how is it assembled (Drop forged, or fitted pieces being better than welded.) We may get away with Chinese copies in our small light weight boats, but not in a large and heavy boat.

If I was cruising full time in a 60 foot boat, I might try some of these other anchors--but I have had some very good experiences in the old fashioned: CQR, Delta (I think is slightly better than the CQR), Danforth, and Northill, with several thousand nights at anchor--and only dragging a hand full of times, in either impossiable conditions or when I used the wrong anchor. Technique in setting, precautions such as taking bearings and ranges, and appropiate scope can be just as important as the brand of anchor.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
hardee

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:21 pm    Post subject: Not opposed Reply with quote

Thanks Dr. Bob, I am not opposed to the standards, (CQR, Bruce, Delta, Fortress etc), and I am not looking for a more expensive device. I am intriged by the "roll bar" and it's seemingly effective setting function.

Still curious if there is anyone that is actually using the Rocna. This has been viewed 215 times, so there are still a few Brats out there who may have some personal experience. Thanks for the responses,

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

edited for spelling x 1
Alasgun

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:29 pm    Post subject: Anchors up again Reply with quote

I went so far as to locate a supplier which in my case is in Canada! I was not put off by the price which was high as well, but the dealer's information was shrouded with mystery for some reason. (read, I'm hiding something) Any way it was Bruce for us and no second thoughts.
Mike
timflan

City/Region: Seattle
Vessel Name: Two Lucky Fish +1
Photos: Two Lucky Fish
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still thinking about a Rocna. I don't really like my current anchor/bow roller combination. My Bruce-style "Claw" doesn't self-launch or retrieve, and I'm not convinced that it actually holds particularly well. I was going to get a new bow roller, but then I thought "No. Start with the anchor. Get the anchor you want. Then get a roller that will work with it." Is that a Rocna? Could be.

I made the mistake of bringing it up here! Not that anybody got upset with me. It was Craig Smith of Rocna that made it all turn bad.

I wrote up my own assessment of Rocna's marketing practices over on Navagear.

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reviewed the Ronca video again. Remember that this was done on beaches, in various types of bottoms. Beaches are not representative of what we anchor on. The cohesiveness is much better in wet material (water)--note that the Ronca is tested in a wet environment, and the others seem to be mostly in the dry sand. To me the "bottom" where the Ronca set the best, was not the same as where some of the other anchors were set. Also the rate of dragging (speed of pull) was different in the various anchors. A rate of drag which the "tests" did on the other plow type of anchors is far faster than any boat would use in setting an anchor. We drop the anchor, let it sit, pay out scope and very slowly apply strain to it.

Also there was no test of the Danforth and Fortress, which are superior anchors in some circumstances.

Yes, the video is impressive. It is made to sell Ronca anchors. I don't know if the Ronca is any better than the Delta or Manson Supreme, but I don't think I will change, just based on this video. [/b]
hardee

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:56 am    Post subject: Anchor in the storm Reply with quote

Dr. Bob, Thank you for the tip on the Manson Supreme. Somehow in my searching I had missed this one, and I think it looks promising. Thank you also, for sharing from your incredible depth of knowledge and experience. Your posts are always enlightening.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon
hardee

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:49 am    Post subject: the Manson Supreme Reply with quote

Anyone have any personal experience with the Manson Supreme? It does look a lot like the R*_*_* . If West Marine is selling them, somebody is buying. Any C-Brats on that list? Thanks again.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon
hardee

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:12 am    Post subject: Standard alternative Reply with quote

Well it sure looks like the forum regulars are not using the Manson Supreme, which looks like a Delta plow with a roll bar and a reverse curved flange.
[img][/img]
Sure would like to know if anyone has tried it. Thanks for the news, (Good or Bad),
Harvey
SleepyC Moon
timflan

City/Region: Seattle
Vessel Name: Two Lucky Fish +1
Photos: Two Lucky Fish
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well they probably aren't! It's relatively new, so there hasn't been much time for market saturation. It's entirely possible that no C-Dory owner anywhere in the world has any experience with this anchor.

I've been researching these new anchors in earnest for the better part of a year. Let me tell you, there isn't a lot of information available, other than marketing material and a few sporadic anchor test reports.

And even when you do encounter anecdotal informational from individual skippers, it's just that...anecdotal. The "science" of anchor selection and anchoring is astonishingly inexact.
hardee

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim, You said a bunch here:
Quote:
The "science" of anchor selection and anchoring is astonishingly inexact.

I think there is considerable art as well as a science.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon
Sea Skipper

City/Region: Bend, Oregon
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: Sea Skipper
Photos: Sea Skipper
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using the Rocna 10 for the past season with excellent success. It sets somewhat better than my older Spade A80 and digs through weeds better. Picture in the Sea Skipper album near the end.

"Sea Skipper"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Anchoring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: