Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bshillam

City/Region: Bellingham
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1981
Vessel Name: Heaven To Me
Photos: My Heaven
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:05 pm    Post subject: San Juan's Reply with quote

Question brats? Better to cruise May or August? The wife has a week off in May and then again in August - we can only choose one of those to enjoy the San Juans. I'm thinking for warmer weather and maybe calmer seas that August would be ideal. However, those of you that have cruised could probably give some feedback. I'd love to catch some of those whales that I just read about today too! Catch the bakery that the puget sound loop talked about, umm....So much to fit into one week.
tom&shan

Photos: Dakota
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:15 pm    Post subject: San Juans Reply with quote

Shan and I first started cruising the San Juans in March. We spent most weekends going to different spots in April and May. Then when June hit, wow, it was like a different place - a comparison would be driving in Seattle at 2 in the morning or driving at 7. Suddenly, starting in June, I had to watch out for other boats. It seemed to keep increasing, then in August, going into Friday Harbor, whole different experience, boats tied up two and three across, where as in April, we just pull right up to the dock.
My vote would be May.

Cheers,
Tom
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another perspective: which would be more important to you - warmer weather or fewer boats? We have spent the last two Augusts in the PNW, and the weather has been glorious. We stayed out of Friday Harbor on weekends, and never ran into a problem with finding a place to anchor or dock. With so much to see and do in the San Juans, you can't lose.

Of course, if you go in May, you will likely be so enthralled that you'll find a way to make August work, too! Wink

Best wishes,
Jim B.

colobear

City/Region: Denver
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: C-Cakes
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful both times but both have "issues"...May, the weather is still a little iffy both as to cold and rough seas, August is sometimes known as "fogust". We've been there for both and either will work. More privacy in May but like others have said, if you stay away from the tourist meccas, i.e. Roche, Rosario, Friday Harbor in August you will find plenty of space. Since many of the islands have state marine parks and charge a mooring fee even for a few hours tieup, you might find it worthwhile to get an annual state park mooring pass.
Dene

City/Region: Kalama
Vessel Name: Fear Naut & Terra-Sea-Ta
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: San Juan's Reply with quote

bshillam wrote:
Question brats? Better to cruise May or August? The wife has a week off in May and then again in August - we can only choose one of those to enjoy the San Juans. I'm thinking for warmer weather and maybe calmer seas that August would be ideal. However, those of you that have cruised could probably give some feedback. I'd love to catch some of those whales that I just read about today too! Catch the bakery that the puget sound loop talked about, umm....So much to fit into one week.

The bakery other have referred to is in Poulsbo, which is a journey from the San Juans. Personally, I'd do two trips. San Juans in May and the central and lower Sound in August.

Both times will allow you to acquire transient space. If you reverse it, you'll still have a great time. You'll just need to be more flexible if you require moorage. There are more boats in August but it's an awful big pond. We were in Friday Harbor around the 4th and Labor Day. No problems.

One thing about Friday Harbor. If you love good coffee, be sure to try out the San Juan Coffee company. IMO, the best I've ever had with Tully's being a distant 2nd.

-Greg
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bshillam, if you are coming to the boat show just bring a map and folks will be glad to point out all their favorite places and spots for you. We love going to the canadian side and visting poets cove resort. nice place and you can check into customs there. lots of fun places on that side too.
lloyds

City/Region: sublimity
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
Vessel Name: undecided
Photos: 1996 22 Cruiser (Lloyds)
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would vote for May. I don't like the summer crowds. Sometimes it can rain in may, but not that bad or long.
westward

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 1985
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Steady Eddy
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The San Juans are beautiful in both May and August. If you choose May you'll really need to be in tune with weather patterns, especially when boating on Haro, Rosario, Georgia, or Juan de Fuca Straits. You'll have a much easier time finding moorings and/or slips at the most popular spots in May, but people do manage in August. Either way you'll have a great time. Good luck! Mike.
baensch-ak

City/Region: Prineville
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Life of Riley
Photos: G. S. Lollipop
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We lived in Bellingham for 21 years and boated in every month with a 16 ft and then later with a 22 ft C-Dory and we vote for August. Karen and Al Baensch
Previously owned C-D 16' URSA MINOR, C-D 22' PEGASUS, Island Packet 380 FRIENDSHIP live aboard, C-D 16' G.S. LOLLIPOP, Cape Cruiser 23 HARMONY. As of June '19 sailing 'Life of Riley', a C-Dory 22, stored in Bellingham. Al & Karen
Steve Grover

City/Region: Lake Tahoe
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Vessel Name: Tee Ten
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:41 pm    Post subject: I have a 16' Cruiser Reply with quote

Gizmo is a well kept 2006 16' Cruiser. Full canvas, 2 batteries, water sep. permatrim, 14 gal fuel tank, mooring cover, 50 Yamaha and much more. Mostly fresh water at Lake Tahoe. Needs to go to people who will appriciate a quality Dory.
Rock-C

City/Region: Salem
C-Dory Year: 1988
Vessel Name: Rock-C
Photos: Rock-C
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karen & Al
It's good to hear from you again. Glad to hear your back in the Northwest.
How about sharing some pictures and stories of your adventures on the right coast.
Hope to see you at the boat show next week.
Terry

DaveS

City/Region: Arlington
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

baensch-ak wrote:
We lived in Bellingham for 21 years and boated in every month with a 16 ft

Welcome back Karen and Al. It is thanks to you that we made the purchase of our 16' in '99. At the SBS that year was a "write up" that the two of you did about your cruising adventures in your 16' that "sold" us on our making the purchase.

C-Brat #16
Socrateur

City/Region: Danville
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sea Skipper
Photos: Sea Skipper
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The August vs. May question boils down to whether you want the best first or do you want to work up to the prime time. If you think that this will the first of many trips to the San Juans, I might suggest going in May rather than August. May can be glorious, but be advised that May might not be just exactly perfect. Even so, you should consider it an initiation. You will get familiar with the area and you will be primed for other times of the year. There is nothing like springtime in the San Juans, but August is phenomenal. In August you will wonder if what you are experiencing is real or is it some kind of sunshine daydream. You will wonder if you are awake or are we dreaming, going where the wind blows and breathing more freely than we ever have before. You might want to save August for later because the experience will be enhanced, but the easy choice is to do August first.
tom&shan

Photos: Dakota
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:52 am    Post subject: January ?? Reply with quote

You could always go in January ???

NORTHERN INLAND WATERS INCLUDING THE SAN JUAN ISLANDS- 843 PM PST SAT JAN 19 2008 ...GALE WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT THROUGH LATE SUNDAY NIGHT... .TONIGHT...NW WIND 10 TO 15 KT...BECOMING 10 TO 20 KT LATE. WIND WAVES 1 TO 3 FT. CHANCE OF SHOWERS. .SUN...N WIND 15 TO 25 KT...BECOMING NE 30 TO 40 KT. WIND WAVES 2 TO 4 FT BUILDING TO 3 TO 5 FT. .SUN NIGHT...NE WIND 30 TO 40 KT. WIND WAVES 5 TO 7 FT......
In all seriousness - cant imagine trying to cross Rosario in that.
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back, guys! Hope to run into you one of these days! For all - Pegasus was about THE most spotless CD22 ever in existence, sort of like a 22 foot Bambina would be...I think Al and Karen and Brock all went to the same school of cleaning and polishing!

baensch-ak wrote:
We lived in Bellingham for 21 years and boated in every month with a 16 ft and then later with a 22 ft C-Dory and we vote for August. Karen and Al Baensch

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Grand Adventures All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: