View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:31 pm    Post subject: First time ever in a C-Dory Reply with quote

Where as I have little interest in boat gidgets and widjets and lean toward the anti-social, my interest in exploring and the hearing of others doing the same or at least taking there C-Dory to a seldom seen place is very high. Something Wild Blue Jim said on another thread definitely caught my eye and attention. What He said was "very few boaters among us have ever gone to where no other boater has been before". And with this I agree entirely. What I'm wondering----is whom among us has gone or think they have gone with with there C-Dory where no other C-Dory has been before or perhaps even since. I know the answer to this would be interesting to me and perhaps to others too.

Jay

DaveS

City/Region: Arlington
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:12 am    Post subject: Re: First time ever in a C-Dory Reply with quote

Hunkydory wrote:
What I'm wondering----is whom among us has gone or think they have gone with with there C-Dory where no other C-Dory has been before or perhaps even since.
Jay

IN MY SHOP..... Laughing

(Sorry Jay, couldn't resist a little humor late at night..... Wink )

(Airborne....All The Way!)

(Seriously, it will be interesting to "hear" the more serious answers to your question).

C-Brat #16
Dora~Jean

City/Region: Simi Valley
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Dora~Jean
Photos: Dora~Jean
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great idea for a thread Jay! Should generate lots of good stories...

I believe I did when I went to Johnson's Lee on the backside of Santa Rosa Island 2 years ago and overnighted on the hook. It is entirely exposed to the 'Japan' side of the ocean, about 80 miles from the marina. We went there to see if there were any remains of the WWII radar installation and compound they had there as a first line coastal defense site. We saw two other boats, about 70+ feet long.

Here is a commercial video link showing location and other facts about the island (thanks Islander Ron):
http://youtube.com/watch?v=1n1dkoEgmMs

At just about nightfall some big NW winds kicked up, we estimated them to be 50-60 mph at least, with spindrift. Wind was coming from shore about 100 yds away, generating 4 ft waves in that short fetch, ripped out all the seaweed in the area that 'used' to surround our boat. We also watched those two big cruisers nearby drag anchor for about 1/2 mile before they started their engines and headed away.

By midnight the wind died down, we went to bed, our CD25 with our Delta 22lb anchor, 30 ft of 1/4" chain and 7:1 scope in 27ft of water handled it well, didn't drag even 5 ft. I was concerned at the time, not particularly afraid, but didn't know if the conditions were going to get worse from a windshift away from shore, it didn't thankfully. Quite the memories, haven't been back since! Here's one of the pictures of us anchored while we're on shore exploring. The rest can be seen here.

Corsair F-31 Trimaran 1996-2002
MacGregor 26X 1988-1996
Glaspar Seafair Sedan 18 (2)
StarCraft 19 & 22
Catalina 17 & 22
Crestliner 19
+4 Previous, 1/2 sail, 1/2 power

Last edited by Dora~Jean on Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:33 pm; edited 2 times in total
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the 60's there were still quite a number of the left over military Buildings in the Johnson's Lee area of Santa Rosa. It can get mighty rough up there. We would take each "new to us" cruising boat up there and stand offshore for two or three days, to see what broke before we set out on a voyage.

Thanks for the great photos of this area!

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Hunkydory

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave S

Good one Laughing

The reason I stay away if possible from all those gidjets and widjets in the shop type areas and the accompanying tools to try to make them do what you want is the terrible hazards involved. There's been much more blood flung around these type areas then the ones I prefer. Wink

Steve

Unlike Bob, I've never personally seen the area you described and your photos have depicted so well. Really enjoyed your story and photos they made me much more appreciative of that area. Bet that was a challenge getting the dingy back to the C-Dory. At least you had some good patches of sea weed to kinda help mellow things out during the wind storm.

All

El and Bill could fill in several hundred pages of good first time stories and in-fact already have on there website. Is still one of our favorite web places to return to and enjoy.

Hope there's some more willing to share here.

Jay
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iam new to the cruiseing thing and spend most of my time in the sound or sanjauns with only a few trips to B.C. Barkly sound is the most out of the way place I have been but heard about it from other sea brats. Same goes for Princess Loueisa inlet. As far as first in a cdory I made it all the way to crab bar on the snohomish. That is a first in a cdory but it was short lived as there were four more dorys right behind me. They sohould know not to follow me by now.
Dora~Jean

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hunkydory wrote:
Quote:
Bet that was a challenge getting the dingy back to the C-Dory. At least you had some good patches of sea weed to kinda help mellow things out during the wind storm.

Actually Jay, the violent winds didn't come up until about 1/2 - 1hr after we got back to the boat, the dingy ride wasn't too bad. Funny thing about the seaweed, there's a bit more to the story. When we arrived about mid-morning, I noticed the two big cruisers about 1/4 mi South of Johnson's Lee and outside of the heavy kelp line. I decided to anchor in 'front' of the seaweed to get into shallower water and closer to shore. I throttled up and just before hitting the seaweed, shut down the engines and tilted at the same time, we glided right over all the seaweed into a clear area between more seaweed and then the shore. We anchored in really good sand, 27 ft deep, added 5 ft for the bow height and figured line length for 7:1 scope.

A little while after we got back to the boat from exploring on shore, the wind came up and grew quickly and steadily. I kept watching this large "seaweed beard" collecting on my anchor line and thinking how much additional drag it was creating in these high winds. About 1/2hr before dark I told my son to get his lifejacket on, take a knife and go up front and cut that off our line. He opened the cabin door and that's when we all learned how windy it really was. Then he stuck his head around the corner of the rear part of the cabin and got hit with a piece of seaweed going by at about 50-60 mph. He came in immediately and said he wasn't going forward. So I said OK, then I'll do it. I put on a lifejacket, went outside and started to put my foot up on the side to walk up front, my foot immediately blew off the side. I came in and said, well, looks like we'll just leave it there!

I turned on my GPS, put it on anchor watch and set it for the highest resolution to monitor our position. We had dinner, several waves broke over the bow and hit the windshield with great force (and noise), but the boat's position did not move (fore/aft). The next morning it was beautiful, calm with absolutely clear weather and water. What was missing was all of the seaweed, we didn't see any in front of us, behind us or even on the anchor line!
Dora~Jean

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron of Islander found this commercial video of Santa Rosa Island, shows where it is and a few facts about it. I did the trip going in two days, one day and night there, then one day back. I also added this link to my first post on this trip. Interesting.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1n1dkoEgmMs
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to be contrary to the theme in this thread, but it doesn't matter to me if I've gone where no one else has ever gone, nor ever gone in a C-Dory.

What matters is that I've never gone there before and it's a new experience for me.

Simple as that for a simple guy too old to blaze new trails!

Joe. Thumbs Up Teeth Rainbow

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Hunkydory

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe---For some reason I kinda doubt you blazed many wilderness type trails in your younger days either Laughing and if there was ever any Scots-Irish in the past gene pool it must be way diluted now. Gotta agree with the "what matters is the never gone there before and its a new experience for me part" being the most important.

Don't know if in our travels with the C-Dory we have ever taken it where no other c-dory has ever been or not. Do know that thousands of boats came down in one year during the Yukon-Alaska gold rush days in the late 1800's the same section of the Yukon River we ran up and down in 2003 and still count it as one of our top three experiences in our c-dory. The other two being two trips to Terrors Ford Inlet and this years being able to reach and explore Sister Lake. A very difficult to access salt water chuck accessible only from the outer Alaska Coast through a narrow extreme tidal entry maze.

What made these experiences special and unique to us was the challenges involved and the isolated wilderness beauty with its assorted wildlife to see.

I realize our type cruises go way beyond enjoyment for many, but really thought just exploring in a boat that is perfectly made for just that would draw more into at least exploring to the degree they are comfortable and then sharing it with us here and in the process may have created great experiences similar to "DoranJean" to share in this thread.

It would seem that we are again in the minority and the majority of c-brats feel the same as you evidenced by the lack of experiences shared. Now if it is the case that being first don't matter I'm fine with that, because like I said I have no idea if the Hunkydory has ever been anywhere no other c-dory has been or not. How about just a true interesting c-dory boating experience involving some type of exploring that was new to you.

Again being the c-dory boat is the perfect boat for this type of experience the stories shared are sorely lacking from the group as a whole and I thought this thread may be a way to rectify it.

Jay
C-Hawk

City/Region: Carpinteria / Channel Islands
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: C-Hawk
Photos: C-Hawk
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dora~Jean wrote:
Great idea for a thread Jay! Should generate lots of good stories...

I believe I did when I went to Johnson's Lee on the backside of Santa Rosa Island 2 years ago and overnighted on the hook. It is entirely exposed to the 'Japan' side of the ocean, about 80 miles from the marina.

Sorry Steve- We have you beat. We spent a night on the hook at Johnson Lee in the fall of 2002. We went over in Fishtales, buddy boating with our friends in their Parker.

We had better weather when we were there- not quite as eventful as your trip.
We did have a rough time coming back across the gap though, with 25knot winds.

I've had Fishtales all around Santa Rosa and over to San Miguel. I made a solo trip over to Beachers to spend the night, then cruised around the island the next day. Went over to Cuylers on San Miguel then fished Talcott Shoals on the way back.

KJ6VVB
A Brat I am, At sea I be
God is Great, Beer is Good.... and People are Crazy
Dora~Jean

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh shucks Roger, oh well ...but do you have proof? Just kidding. Great places I plan to visit as well, been to some of those by 26ft trailerable sailboat but not in my CD.

I like what Jay said and Joe wrote:
Quote:
What matters is that I've never gone there before and it's a new experience for me.

That's what counts!!! Cool
C-Hawk

City/Region: Carpinteria / Channel Islands
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: C-Hawk
Photos: C-Hawk
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve-
I agree- It's just nice to get out in the boat and go to new places.
I hope to be doing that soon in a new boat.

Roger
john schuler

City/Region: Missoula, Montana
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Clara (sold)
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:49 am    Post subject: Toba Inlet BC Reply with quote

Went there in 2006 with CAVU. Most likley not many C-Dorys have been there. Any others been there?
CoolSmile john CoolSmile
B~C

City/Region: Bend
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Blue~C
Photos: Blue~C
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll play, although we didn't actually go there, we did drive by, but I'll wager that not many C-Dorys have been there....ended up, unknowingly, floating past the nude beach on Suavies Island when it was in full bloom...it was not a pretty sight

Damn,you're getting a new boat Roger? what kind? I thought you had yours all fixed up

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Grand Adventures All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: