View previous topic :: View next topic  
NC-TFC

City/Region: Hampstead
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Pegasus
Photos: Pegasus
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:38 pm    Post subject: Handling question Reply with quote

Question We are really enjoying our C-Dory 22 but are still getting used to how the hull handles in different conditions. I've read through the posts in the Seamanship section of the Forum and they are excellent with a lot of useful information.

Recently we were traveling down the ICC in a fairly narrow section. There was a large (40+ft) Trawler in front of us. It was moving right along and throwing a good sized wake. When I went to pass (they didn't respond to a request to slow) our Dory began to "corkscrew' and feel out of control. I slowed and waited for a better chance to pass. Given the circumstances discretion was probably best.

But I'm curious if anyone can tell me how the C-Dory would have behaved if I had decided to accelerate and push on through the wake set.

Thanks
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi NC-TFC,

You may get a response from a boat in front of you with horn signals (one or two blasts, depending on which side you want to pass)... he may not have known you were back there.

Depending on how narrow the channel was, I prefer to drop back a bit to give the other boat's wake a chance to dissipate, accelerate through the wake, give the boat as much space as possible so your wake affects him minimally, and make your pass. As you pass through the wake, as you found out, the front may wander a bit; try turning more directly into the wake, instead of at an angle and you may find you get less bow slip.

For us, one of the least comfortable rides is while IN another boat's wake for any distance... I try to stay directly behind or make my move and get around.

HTH

Best wishes,
Jim B.

Almas Only

City/Region: Richmond
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Alma's Only
Photos: Alma's Only
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NC-TFC

You did the right thing, by backing off, and staying behind the trawler.

Assuming you can't make radio or horn contact and arrange for the vessel you're overtaking to slow down, or do a "cheat" pass when you both enter the next No Wake zone, the only way I've found to safely pass in this situation is to lay back until you have a long, wide spot in the channel, with no oncoming traffic or obstacles. Then, pass by cutting through the wake, taking it directly on the bow (i.e., the keel at right angles to the wake). Adjust your speed based on the height of the wave, so that you don't take a hard pounding as you come down on the far side. Once you're through the wave, you have to turn back toward on-course, and pour on the power to stay ahead of the wake, while you accomplish the pass. This all takes a substantial channel width and reach, because for a fair amount of the time, you're heading the boat away from the channel centerline, and toward the shore. I find it to be a fairly stressful procedure, even when everything goes as planned. And, for some reason, the vessel being passed sometimes adds a few rpm, just to make it more difficult. Be very careful.

If you ever try to overtake by cutting through a substantial wake at anything less than a right angle, you will experience the sickening feeling of sliding sidewise down the face of the wake's wave, with almost no ability to maneuver, while you wonder what it would take to flip over. You really don't want to do this, and your passengers REALLY won't like it. I've pulled that stunt, and althought the boat did fine, I almost messed my pants.

You could try to pass by closing up on the other vessel, and cutting the wake before the component waves have a chance to consolidate and build in height, but your visibility becomes limited by the other vessel, and you run the risk of shooting through the wake, into the path of oncoming traffic. Not good.

Good luck, and smooth cruising.

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another question, would be if this was a speed restricted zone, where you could not come up on a plane. I suspect that at the low speed, you were experience a relitatively steep following sea condition as you went thru the wake. Try and go at a right angle to the wake, and then acellorate over the wake, so you are square on it. The boat would handle the oblique angle, but it would yaw a bit as you went thru the wake, especially at still a displacement speed.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
NC-TFC

City/Region: Hampstead
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Pegasus
Photos: Pegasus
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was exactly the type of information I was looking for! While I've had many types of boats mostly center consoles, the C-Dory hull has a definate learning curve associated with it. In manuevers like this one I find it important to have a plan and know what to expect when you execute. Your posts have definately helped me with this one.

Thanks again.

Thom
dogon dory

State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: DogOnDory
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the negative aspects of the C-Dory's flat bottom is poor handling as slow speed. The only "grip" you've got on the water is the foot of the motor. As previously stated, right angle to the wake and if you can't go across at speed, then at least apply power as you cross so the back end of the boat is under control. The more thrust being produced by the prop, the more control you have.

Should we discuss which size/pitch prop produces the optimum amount of thrust?????? Smile
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems to me ignorance can be bliss and at least in our case makes such maneuvers much less stressful. Have passed many boats large and small, fast and slow and never once with any problem or feeling whatsoever of lack of control. Surfed the wake of a large charter boat coming out of Tracy Arm, Alaska Inland Passage in 2004 in the process of passing. Now that was fun. Guess the circumstances have never been just the same for us to cause a problem. Sure was nothing compared to a strong tidal crossing with a little wind or medium confused seas.

Jay

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Seamanship All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: