The Mokai

View previous topic :: View next topic  
maryswensen

City/Region: Greenport, LI
State or Province: NY
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Mary C.
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:43 pm    Post subject: The Mokai Reply with quote

After reviewing, for about the fifth time, the great pictures of the Hunkydory adventure I continue to be facinated by the Mokai.
I am about ready to sacrifice my daughters' meal plans and purchase one. Before I put these young women on diets I would appreciate any feedback on use.

Towing, getting in and out, stability etc.

Ed

Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed

The following you may have missed, but I wrote it in answer to previous questions concerning the Mokai and will copy it here again.

"We couldn't have been more pleased with the mokai in every way. For the type of trip we made where the main object was exploring remote inlets and bays and the rivers that feed them the combination of the c-dory and mokai was perfect. Its really made for one person but two can make do especially for going to shore and short forays of an hour or so.

It comes with a quick removing cover that we add a couple bungee's to, that makes it pretty well water proof. We tow with a floating polyurethane rope 30' long that is attached to a rope with a loop tied between the top cabin hand rails in the rear where it meets the cockpit. This kept the bow of the mokai up even in the worst of condition. I wasn't exaggerating about the conditions on the Lynn Canal on the first day out with the boat. This is the first time we have turned around due to conditions being so bad that that we feared for our safety. When making the turn I didn't even think about whether we would lose the mokai or not. All thoughts and priority was just making the turn without getting rolled, swamped or tangling the tow rope in the props. Would have loved to get video or photos of these conditions. Well the mokai survived even though Jo-Lee said she could see it suspended in the air and other times totally disappear. That was the end of our concerns on wheather and conditions at least with the mokai.

Have to slow down some in short choppy waves or the mokai would go airborne on them. Of course in these conditions you are happy to slow the c-dory down anyway even with the trim tabs fully down.

Have been used to especially in the past to the c-dory drawing a crowd. Well it never drew them like the mokai. It was an endless what is that?? Does it have a motor? Is it jet powered? How shallow will it go? Man I got to get one!! When I would take it for a cruise around the docks people would wave and give the especially the crews on the fishing boats.

I tow it with the motor and fuel tank left in this keeps the center of gravity low and provides a little more weight to prevent wind interference. It weighs 100 lbs with out fuel and motor and 150 lbs with.

For us it was the perfect addition to the c-dory and much better than a dingy. For those with more people aboard or pet owners it might not be so good."

This much for sure where as its true few of us will be where no boat has been before, no dingy has ever been where we took the Mokai this year!!! In fact I'll bet our little Mokai has been in many places no other boat has ever been. Wink

That pretty well covers the towing. Concerning getting in and out and stability. Jo-Lee has very limited use of her right arm and can still easily get in and out from our 22' C-Dory when its hip tied. We used it several times to visit and board sailboats and even a yacht without difficulty. In my opinion it is extremely stable. Wild Blue Jim mentioned tipping over his kayak several times in a swimming pool during try outs. Don't know it that was purely humor or not, but you would really have to work at it to do that. I've never been in a regular kayak, so can't compare the two, but if it is ever turned over even though it will not sink there is going to be a mess.

In enjoyment return for dollars spent I still consider it to be one of our all time best investments.

Will be interesting for me to see if anyone else has had experience enough with the Mokai to add to your questions.

Hope this helps

Jay

Zydecomo

City/Region: SHELBURNE
State or Province: VT
C-Dory Year: 2001
C-Dory Model: 24 Tomcat
Vessel Name: FanTC
Photos: FanTC
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:26 pm    Post subject: twsr drive Reply with quote

I finally got a chance to test drive a Moki in Vermont. Someone was nice enough to allow me to take it for a spin on a choppy day on Lake Champlain. It felt steady and moved nicely and quickly. I can see how it would make a nice dingy for someone.

I wrote to the company about some issues that would make it a "cooler" boat for me. Although the honda motor moved it briskly along I found it a bit noisy as compare to my Honda generator. Also once up to speed it tended to splash in the cockpit more than expected. It would be hard to fit 2 adults in the boat unless they were EXTREMELY good friends. I would love to see if an electric motor could be installed to run silently in little streams etc. It was a rugged peice of Tupperware that was very easy to use and very steady platform.[/i]
Hunkydory

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zydecomo

Good and fair review for someone who has only taken one for a spin.

Something to think about when wanting manufacturer to make it cooler for you.

Where as the Mokai is a new concept one of kind type miniature boat the RIB dinghies and larger have been around for a long time. Have you ever gone into the chop with one of them for spray comparison. That's the number one thing that got us into a c-dory for water exploration. At times it was almost impossible to run into the chop due to rough ride and continually being soaked. On the Mokai the spray skirt worked well heading into the chop at least no water inside and didn't find spray a problem at all on the smaller rivers.

I too would prefer it to be as quiet as our Honda 2000 generator though I can live with it the way it is especially when running 3 mph at idle. Found out when trying to slip up on animals or birds that paddling had just as much effect on them as idling in there direction. Of course electric drive would be fantastic but the power needed with a jet drive to go upstream or plane just isn't feasible at present in battery power storage or cost. Check out the Torgeedo electric moter and battery for power and cost as a comparison.

One of our favorites uses of the Mokai was using its power to go up river then quietly returning down stream under control using the paddle with the moter off.

Your right about needing to be extremely good friends to go double, but here again is the trade off. I don't want much more than the 100 lbs for loading off and on transporting vehicle and the shorter length makes for very good maneuverability on a small stream or rough water river section. Maybe if the Company making the Mokai can see enough demand for more variety, they will answer that demand in the future. For present we were extremely satisfied for what we received in comparison to the cost. As far as I know there is nothing like the Mokai available from any other manufacturer, so they are already the leading edge in this technology.

The Mokai is definitely not for everyone, but for us it was the perfect combination with the c-dory to do the type of cruising we prefer. We actually did go places no boats have ever been before and that was solely due to the present unique design of the Mokai.

Jay
maryswensen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:47 pm    Post subject: mokai Reply with quote

Jay

Thanks for taking the time to respond. With the information provided, I believe the Mokai would be a winner for our needs.

I contacted Marie at Mokai - very pleasant and informative. My daughters and I will be taking a drive to the factory in Newburg, NY this Friday. She informed me that they are making some changes and models will be available by mid-February. We will have an opportunity to tour the operation and speak to the folks that design and fabricate it.

I will share our experience.

Thanks again.

Ed
CW

City/Region: Kalama
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: Satisfaction
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a camo version, big enough for my lab, some decoys, a Benelli shotgun and me would be fun. With running lights (I have to boat at night to get to the set up by dawn, 5 miles down the river). and anchor chock and backup paddle, and weed attachments for camo. C.W.
maryswensen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:18 pm    Post subject: Mokai Reply with quote

C.W.

I got the impression that the changes would be minor. Lights sound easy and it comes with an anchor set up.

Ed
Zydecomo

City/Region: SHELBURNE
State or Province: VT
C-Dory Year: 2001
C-Dory Model: 24 Tomcat
Vessel Name: FanTC
Photos: FanTC
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay
One serious test drive sold me on getting my TomCat as I looked and researched them for sometime. My comments on the Moki are referenced on how they could sell me a boat. I know the problems with developing electric power for a craft like this or any vehicle for that matter.. Hopefully some engineering will figure out something sooner or later. But it would be pretty "cool" if this stable, quick, stealthy boat ran silently up and down 6" deep streams for 20 or 30 miles before needing refueling don't you think? I'd be in line!
Phil
Hunkydory

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep Phil, I'd be in line right with you!!

Jay
flrockytop

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: The Last One (to date)
Photos: C-LOVER
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: mokai Reply with quote

Ed,

If you end up getting one make sure you tell them it was because of ED. I think he is suppose to get $50 or something. I'd like to know if they come through with that. I'm looking hard at them but have not found one test drive.

Roger

maryswensen wrote:
Jay

Thanks for taking the time to respond. With the information provided, I believe the Mokai would be a winner for our needs.

I contacted Marie at Mokai - very pleasant and informative. My daughters and I will be taking a drive to the factory in Newburg, NY this Friday. She informed me that they are making some changes and models will be available by mid-February. We will have an opportunity to tour the operation and speak to the folks that design and fabricate it.

I will share our experience.

Thanks again.

Ed

Roger Rockwell
Pensacola, Fl
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Grand Adventures All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: