The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Honda Generator.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe, I'm with you 100% (on this issue, don't get carried away.) I can contemplate my navel only so long. And those extra things keep me busy when we're not cruising.

On the other hand, we did the 22' boat, porti-potty, ice chest thing for years, and threw in a couple of teen agers at the same time. Time has passed, the wounds have healed, and those modern goodies keep us content for 4 months during the summer. And the beer at the appropriate temperature.

As for running the generator in the evening and ruining the tranquility of the moment, give me some credit for heaven's sake. 2 to 3 AM is adequate to charge the batteries.

Boris
Dora~Jean

City/Region: Simi Valley
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Dora~Jean
Photos: Dora~Jean
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear ya Joe, and I believe we should all be able to pursue our desires in the fashion that best suits our lifestyle. I'm just suggesting to do it with discretion, not when your parked 8 ft away from another boat. Wink

Hey, and to dispell any theories that I'm totally bunked out on all natural, environmentally perfect, boating, I too have a generator, a Yamaha 600 (circa 1988) and have even used it when I needed to run my bait tank all night. I was in a secluded anchorage though. And use it every 2 days or so when camping in our travel trailer, hard to avoid when there's no hookups. So there, I'm also one of those guys that need a generator occasionally...

So continue the discussions on gensets Thumbs Up , I like the Honda 1000's quietness, might have to get one someday.

Corsair F-31 Trimaran 1996-2002
MacGregor 26X 1988-1996
Glaspar Seafair Sedan 18 (2)
StarCraft 19 & 22
Catalina 17 & 22
Crestliner 19
+4 Previous, 1/2 sail, 1/2 power
drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think one of the advantages of the larger gensets is that you don't have to leave it on so long. We heat the water, charge the batteries, cook, microwave, watch TV and the like for a bit, then turn off the genset and veg out with all the other ppl out there. We've never run the genset all nite except at truckstops while traveling. And then, all the neighbors are so loud, they can't even tell we have it on!

Freedom is a genset!

John
El and Bill

City/Region: Lakewood, CO
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Photos: Halcyon
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim B - we're still chuckling, and it's after breakfast time -- thanks for the great comments, and we'd be the last to organize a lynch party.

"I DO enjoy having many of the conveniences we're discussing aboard my boat" -- Good on ya, Joe. Each of us have our needs and viva la difference!

"Freedom is a genset!" --And, John, we understand the Pres is sending a zillion gensets to the Middle East. Very Happy

And, to all still reading this thread, keep on a'buying -- the stock market needs all the help it can get! Rolling Eyes

CatyMae n Steve

City/Region: Jefferson, OR
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: CatyMae
Photos: CatyMae
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flapbreaker wrote:
CatyMae n Steve wrote:
hmmmm...the GE 700 watt microwave trips the Honda 1000 before it can start it up -- but I didn't know/didn't look for a "reduced power level" switch -- we'll look into that and see if it has one!

Flapbreaker, if you can hold on a couple days til we can get to the microwave to make an inspection -- might be making you an offer instead Thumbs Up

Caty

No worries. I can wait.

Sorry it took so long to respond here Flapbreaker. I did check the microwave (700) that we got and it does not have any reduced power level switch; however, we DID find a microwave (600 watt) at Home Depot today that will work with the 1000 -- so rather than have the additional expense of the 2000 + the extra weight onboard, we're going to stick with the 1000. The microwave came with an 8 year warranty -- go figure! You should've seen the look on Steve's face when it worked -- like a little kid at Christmas! Thumbs Up

Caty
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caty, Which micro wave did you find at Home Depot? I am thinking of trading out the 700 watt for a 600.

Thanks.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caty-

Congratulations on your new (Honda 1000i) compatible microwave!

Glad everything worked out!

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
flapbreaker

City/Region: Hillsboro
Vessel Name: Playin' Hooky
Photos: Playin' Hooky
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem Caty. Glad it works for you. Now you can use that money on some fishing stuff. Oh, we went sturgeon fishing in the willamette this afternoon and managed only one measuring 35 inches. Nice day though. There was no parking in the parking lot at cathedral park. Lot's of boats out there. Sounded like the fishing was slow for most people. Maybe the water is too cold.
CatyMae n Steve

City/Region: Jefferson, OR
Vessel Name: CatyMae
Photos: CatyMae
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flapbreaker, we noticed last weekend when we did some retirement area searching as we drove by Cathedral Park that the parking lot was full and there were TONS of boats fishing the area -- I don't think we'll get as much time on the boat this year as we'd probably like, as we'll be getting the retirement agenda accomplished Smile I'm glad you got some time on the water ... I love sturgeon fishing because you can nearly always get some shaker action even if you don't catch any keepers.

The microwave we found at HD is a Magic Chef .7 cubic ft #MCD766W. I was really surprised when Steve pointed at it on the shelf, as I've done a lot of searching on the internet for something under 700 watt and pretty much found nothing that didn't have a huge price tag attached. He looked at me as we were leaving and said, "Maybe we should go back and get another ... a spare!" Price tag was $39.97 Thumbs Up

Caty

Edit...about that fishing gear! I used the Sportsman's gift certificate from the SBSCBGT factory dinner to help out on the price of a new 2-speed reel...and of course, I felt the need for a new rod to go with it, so I don't have to take my Penn 321 off my sturgeon rod for those halibut! One NEVER has to encourage me to buy fishing gear Smile
ddenver

City/Region: Quilcene
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: C-Renity
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please continue to help the clueless newbie (me) understand.

We bought our boat at the SBS but will likely not take delivery of it until late March.... we have little or no boating experience and absolutely no familiarity w/ the Wallas.

Anyway, how does the Wallas work regarding power consumption. I would have assumed - other then starting a small flame / igniter - since it burns diesel or mineral spirits it would not be a great consumer of battery power.

However; following the various postings on this thread - if I am understanding things correctly - leads me to believe the Wallas does indeed draw significant amounts of battery power.

Any insights are welcome.

Tanks,
Dan
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ddenver wrote:

Anyway, how does the Wallas work regarding power consumption. I would have assumed - other then starting a small flame / igniter - since it burns diesel or mineral spirits it would not be a great consumer of battery power.

However; following the various postings on this thread - if I am understanding things correctly - leads me to believe the Wallas does indeed draw significant amounts of battery power.

Any insights are welcome.

Tanks,
Dan

Hi Dan,

The Wallas isn't a big power draw. A house battery or two should have no problem keeping that Wallas going all night. There is a fan built into the lid and the pump that do use power. Some folks have found that their Wallas will not light if the battery voltage isn't high enough. (We haven't run into that).

Hope that helps put your mind at ease. The Wallas is one of the things that make these boats so functional for cruising.

Best wishes,
Jim B.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I recollect the power draw of the Wallas was reported to be about half an amp when running in heater mode. There are two fans I believe. One is the draft fan for exhaust, the other is the lid fan, which is only on when the lid is closed and the stove is in heater mode. The electronics take little power, At startup there is like a glow plug, which shuts down once the stove heats up.
Dora~Jean

City/Region: Simi Valley
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Dora~Jean
Photos: Dora~Jean
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Wallas 1300 heater, similar principle and process to the stove. Mine draws 4-5 amps to run the glow plug at startup, 2.5 minutes, then after ignition, uses about 0.3 amps thereafter which includes both the combustion chamber fan and circulation fan. Very efficient.
C-Pelican

City/Region: SoCal
C-Dory Year: 1992
Vessel Name: C Pelican
Photos: C-Pelican
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another, hopefully, funny comment on generators.... I just bought a 1K generator from a discount store called "Big Lots". So far it runs fine and I bought that one to "test-out" generators as I enjoy salt water and multiple nights out on the hook and figured I could "screw-up" the cheap one ($160.00) and then get a good one after I make my mistakes...like the mistake I made on my very first ocean trip.

Solo I anchored in San Pedro and blew up the Dinghy and attached the tiny outboard to it. (Btw, the C Pelican is the first boat I ever owned) As I started it up, into gear it goes (centrifugal) (no, I was not in the dinghy. Yes, what a retard...but hey, I learn by doing, er, by making mistakes) and off goes my dinghy...as I watch...and as a friend watches from shore.... Luckily (!?) I had a rope attached to the dinghy so then it goes to its max length, does a 180 flip and lands upside down as my motor dies....
Suffice to say...I paddle now (until I find a used outboard). But I keep my old, frozen-up outboard on the rear porch as a "reminder". Is that sadistic?

Ended that day hungry, mad, but the bottles of wine I had on board helped some...and the next day was a new day....

Jeff

p.s. as a former Marine...the fouled anchor on the isignia makes more sense to me now....
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff (C-Pelican);

First, everyone on this site has learned things about boating the hard way. We just don't have to admit it.

Second, I've had a couple of dingys go upside down with motors. Only in a high wind, you understand. If you get them back, turn the motor right side up, drain the carb, remove and clean the plug, crank it through until the water is out, you can start it and you've saved the motor. On a 4-stroke, you'd probably have to change the oil. Anyway, you've got at least a hour to do this.

Boris
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: