The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Honda Generator.
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
flapbreaker

City/Region: Hillsboro
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Playin' Hooky
Photos: Playin' Hooky
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:18 pm    Post subject: Honda Generator. Reply with quote

I'm contemplating the purchase of a honda generator but wanted some input from those with experience. I was thinking the EU1000i would be sufficient for charging the batteries on extended cruising. Is there any reason to buy the higher wattage models? I know someone with a brand new one who is willing to sell it for $599 which looks to be about $100 less than retail. Thoughts?
bshillam

City/Region: Bellingham
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1981
Vessel Name: Heaven To Me
Photos: My Heaven
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:22 pm    Post subject: Look at your specific needs Reply with quote

Check out what your specific needs are now and possibly in the future. I know for about $270 more dollars you can upgrade to the eu2000i. It is my personal opinion that this makes for a better all around gen, both on the water and at home in emergencies. If all you'll ever do is charge your batteries - go with the eu1000i. Check out the forum, I know someone earlier dropped in a note as to the watts required for various electronics. It's interesting at the least.
Capn Jack

City/Region: La Conner
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1988
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Pocket Yacht
Photos: Pocket Yacht
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:42 pm    Post subject: Honda Generator Reply with quote

Go for the 2000, Thumbs Up it's only rated 1700 continuous, the 1000 would be even less and they're the same size. I use the 2000 for a small micro-wave, water heater, 20 amp. batt.charger and a small electric heater. Granted NOT all at once, but we do watch movies on the laptop while the batteries are charging. Wink
Capn Jack
PS. I found sitting it on a throwable cussion helps with the noise. Disgust
SEA3PO

City/Region: Chester
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: SEA3PO
Photos: SEA3PO
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I chose the Yamaha 1000 watt unit because of size.... it's 28 pounds the 2000watt size weighs 53 pounds.... I won't ever need a water heater or a microwave.... just enough power to charge the batterys and use for lights... for extended nights out.... I use my 22 as a camper on the road too....so having dead batteries is a real possibility.

Joel
SEA3PO
tsturm

City/Region: Soldotna
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SEA3PO wrote:
I chose the Yamaha 1000 watt unit because of size.... it's 28 pounds the 2000watt size weighs 53 pounds.... I won't ever need a water heater or a microwave.... just enough power to charge the batterys and use for lights... for extended nights out.... I use my 22 as a camper on the road too....so having dead batteries is a real possibility.

Joel
SEA3PO

+1 for the 1000 Yamaha, It's quieter Mr. Green Beer
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Honda 1000i, and use it to power a small microwave, a 40 amp battery charger, or anything else that runs on about 750 watts continuous or less. It's peak output is 1000 watts, but not continuously.

I love it's small size and weight. 29 lbs. is a lot easier to hoist around than 46.3!

You'd need a 2000i for a small air conditioning unit, a water heater, or anything else that runs between 800-1600 watts continuous, or some combination of appliances that draw that amount of power that you want to run simultaneously.

The 1000i fits in one half of the foot well under the dinette, but the 2000i will probably also fit there, but with less foot room left over.

You just have to be committed to live within the limits of the 1000i to make that choice.

Two 1000i's or two 2000i's can be linked together in parallel to make a 2000 or a 4000 watt generator, respectively, but buying two of eiither of them is an expensive way to get a larger generator capacity. (You can't link a 1000i and a 2000i together in parallel.)

Here's a site devoted to the Honda 2000i genertor that also discusses the 1000i occasionally:

Honda EU2000

Good Luck whatever you decide!

Joe. Thumbs Up Teeth

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We went with the 2000i Honda and have found it to be very useful onboard. If you use the factory 10/5/5 battery charger, you will have to run the generator for a VERY long time to put juice back in the batteries. We use an automotive charger that I hook directly to the batteries for a faster charge... but the alternator on the motor is still more efficient if you are moving everyday. Having said that, like others, we use our water heater and cook with a small toaster/convection oven. I can see that some kind of air conditioning is likely in our future on Wild Blue, and the 2000 will be a good match for that. Not much more money, a little more weight, more versatility. If you don't think you'd be using those other appliances (or a coffee maker, blow dryer, curling iron, etc, etc), the 1000 would be a handy addition.
Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:42 pm    Post subject: 1000 or 2000 Reply with quote

Diana and I went with a Yamaha 1000, but I wish I would have gone for the 2000. This past December, we were with out power at the beach for 6 days, and the 1000 is not big enough to power the refrigerator. It did fine for the pellet stove and lighting, but we had to use my dad's Coleman 2500 for the refrigerator and freezer.

BTW, don't leave fuel in them for an extended period of time (like over a month). The carbs have a tendency to gum up, and it is about $100 for a cleaning if you do not have the skill yourself
CatyMae n Steve

City/Region: Jefferson, OR
Vessel Name: CatyMae
Photos: CatyMae
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sea Wolf wrote:
I have a Honda 1000i, and use it to power a small microwave,
<,snip>

Joe, please tell me the specs on your microwave...we have the 1000 and hoped to power a microwave but it doesn't have enough initial "umph" to get over the hump!

Otherwise, I'll offer our 1000 to flapbreaker and go get a 2000! Very Happy

Thanks,
Caty
Sea Wolf

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CatyMae n Steve wrote:
Sea Wolf wrote:
I have a Honda 1000i, and use it to power a small microwave,
<,snip>

Joe, please tell me the specs on your microwave...we have the 1000 and hoped to power a microwave but it doesn't have enough initial "umph" to get over the hump!

Thanks,
Caty

Caty-

I'll get the specifications tomorrow when I can get out to the RV Barn and look at one of the units. I have three microwaves of that size, one in the C-Dory, one in the pontoon boat, and another in the Sea Ray. I think they're different brands, but all made by the same company in China.

Joe. Thumbs Up Teeth
Sea Wolf

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caty-

The microwave on the pontoon boat is a Sharp R230KW 800 watt 0.8 cubic foot unit. The generator can handle it OK. In fact, you can use a 1000 watt unit at a reduced power level, then go back to the higher level when on shore power.

Here's a SEARCH for the Sharp unit.

Here are some other units that can do the job with the Honda 1000i:

SHARP R-55TS WARM & TOASTY TOASTER AND MICROWAVE

HAIER AMERICA TRADING MWG7047TW 0.7CF 700W MICROWAVE

HAIER 900 WATT 0.8 CU. FT. MICROWAVE OVEN (Use this unit at a reduced power setting.)

Hope This Helps. I'll check out the other two boats when Im up at the lake and down in the marina.

Joe. Thumbs Up Teeth

Last edited by Sea Wolf on Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:56 am; edited 1 time in total
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm--I thought I put up a post before I took Marie to our 30th anniversary dinner...

Anyway, we own a 1000, a 2000 and a 500 (30 years old and still running)
We use the 1000 on the CD 25 for battery charging and running the WalMart Artic King 5,000 watt air conditioner. We use a 30 amp charger on the 1000. It will not run our 900 watt microwave (but a 1500 watt inverter will). The problem is that the 900 watt microwave takes 1000 watts input. We may change out the microwave...but no big deal.

The 2000 will run the water heater, microwave 1000 watt, 8300 BTU Airconditiner and the 40 amp battery charger on the Tom Cat 255.

We went with the 1000 for the CD 25, because we were concerned with the weight (28 lbs vs 46). The 1000 is definately smaller. The noise is about the same on both.

If I was to have only one, I would go with the 2000, if the weight was not an issue. Because it will heat the water heater and charge the batteries at the same time....If that is important.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
flapbreaker

City/Region: Hillsboro
Vessel Name: Playin' Hooky
Photos: Playin' Hooky
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CatyMae n Steve wrote:

Thanks,
Caty

Ooh. That sounds like a win win.
Ozark Boater

City/Region: Warrenville
State or Province: IL
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another word for the wise. Although portable generators appear to be as resistant to the weather as your outboard motor, don't forget to read the manual about the dangers of electrocution. It isn't a good idea to leave them out in the elements without a cover and never operate them in the rain.

Some of the Honda and Yamaha models have sine wave inverters, which means that you can run your laptop or sensitive electronics.

The idea of two hooked up in parallel also increases their usefulness in the event of a power outage at home. I've used my Honda 3000 to run the refrigerator and a couple of lights more than once.

Happy shopping!

Boston Whaler 170 Montauk
C-Dory 25 Wanna Be
mccml

City/Region: Montoursville, PA
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Crystal Sea
Photos: Crystal C
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know of a great place on line to purchase a Honda 2000 generator?

Mark and Carol
(Crystal Sea)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: