The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Honda Generator.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Larry, the 110 amp hour battery will give only about 25 or so minutes at 2000 watts draw without possibility of battery dammage.

As Larry points out, you need a big battery bank to run a large inverter. We had over 800 amp hours to run our air conditioner for a few hours on an express cruiser we owned. The Golf cart batteries hold up better in this type of service. Although some larger boats, with well over 1000 amp hours in the battery banks, can run large loads, this is just too much weight for small boats like the C Dory line. Then you have to look at how these are recharged. We had 150 amp alternators and 130 amp chargers, so that we could fairly rapidly put power back into the the large battery bank.

If you remember the recent thread on the Dashew's power boat--they run the entire 110 volt and 220 volt system off of batteries and inverters, but at 24 volts and with well over 1200 amp hour of massive batteries. They also have very large alternators and chargers, which are specially fabricated to allow adequate cooling etc.

So for any systained high loads, consider a generator. If you only need 2 to 5 minutes for re-heat they 220 amp hours of batteries will suffice. That is what I have powering my inverters (two group 31 AGM batteries).

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok guys, I forgot to multiply the amperage by 10 for the conversion from 120 volts to 12. I corrected my homework on the original post, so it won't throw people who read it later off initially. Sorry, I was trying to play with the dog with one hand and think and type with the other! Should have caught the error from a common sense perspective of electrical experience! Do I have to stay for detention too?

Joe. Embarassed

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A comment on "quickly recharging batteries." Lead acid batteries have a taper charge profile. If you take out 100 amp-hrs, it isn't a matter of 2 1/2 hrs of recharge with a 40 amp charger, and you're back to full charge. It's about 1/2 hour at 40 amps, down to an hour at 20 amps and 5 hours at 10 to 5 amps. To get back to full charge would be overnight. That's why cruisers run their batteries at 85% charge, since the last 15% is so inefficient.

What's this mean? Well, when you figure out how much you take out of your batteries, remember to START at 85% of full charge, and plan to spend a few more hours on recharge.

Now when we go to metal hydride batteries, we'll be able to put full charge in until they're fully recharged.

Boris
Dora~Jean

City/Region: Simi Valley
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Dora~Jean
Photos: Dora~Jean
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's one of those fundamental laws of batteries, it's called Peukert's Law (pronounced "poo-care"). Peukert was a German scientist, and in 1897, he expressed the capacity of a lead-acid battery in terms of the rate at which it is discharged. As the rate increases, the battery's capacity decreases. I won't quote the formula, this isn't school...

Most lead acid batteries are rated with a 20 hour discharge rate. So a 100 AH battery should produce it's full capacity at 5 amps per hour when new (but it may not be worth much if you run it to zero!) Any higher rate will diminish the 'effective capacity' rating of that battery. In other words, if you try to pull 50 amps out of that 100 AH battery, you'll probably get an hour or even less out of it, not 2 hrs as you'd expect. Same goes for charging, you have to limit your charge rate in order to have it accept the charge, just like others have said.

Corsair F-31 Trimaran 1996-2002
MacGregor 26X 1988-1996
Glaspar Seafair Sedan 18 (2)
StarCraft 19 & 22
Catalina 17 & 22
Crestliner 19
+4 Previous, 1/2 sail, 1/2 power

Last edited by Dora~Jean on Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:48 am; edited 1 time in total
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good explanation, Steve. I learn a LOT hanging around this place! Thumbs Up
drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Steve, Dr.Bob and all! Really helps to get proper perspective!

John
Dora~Jean

City/Region: Simi Valley
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Dora~Jean
Photos: Dora~Jean
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the compliments! I was pretty good in school but not very good at teaching...I tend to get too deep. Confused

But I wanted to add, that's why I like my Link 10 monitors, they take into account Peukert's Law in discharge and charging, very accurate report of your battery(s) state of charge at all times, even while using them.
bshillam

City/Region: Bellingham
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1981
Vessel Name: Heaven To Me
Photos: My Heaven
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:20 pm    Post subject: Leave the inverter home.... Reply with quote

So - based off all your feedback, best to leave the inverter off the system and buy a good gen. I think this is the easiest way to insure I have power when I need it and I can still charge the batteries for the day's use/or the night with the Wallas..... Thumbs Up
Thanks Brats, this is helping me too as I am building (or should I say having built) shore power and charger. It's pretty slick but I want to work within the limits of my system.
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Leave the inverter home.... Reply with quote

bshillam wrote:
So - based off all your feedback, best to leave the inverter off the system and buy a good gen. I think this is the easiest way to insure I have power when I need it and I can still charge the batteries for the day's use/or the night with the Wallas..... Thumbs Up
Thanks Brats, this is helping me too as I am building (or should I say having built) shore power and charger. It's pretty slick but I want to work within the limits of my system.

EQ is installing a single 240 Ah underneath my forward-facing dinette seat, along with an inverter. I was getting some battery-envy earlier but now after reading this thread I think it is a good solution. It will give me AC for light and/or short jobs, but the Honda needs to be fired up for more demanding tasks, such as the water heater or long cooking in the toaster oven (which we decided on instead of a microwave.)

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
Larry H

City/Region: Tulalip,
C-Dory Year: 1991
Photos: Nancy H
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honda Generator owners,

Here is a link to an RV site showing photos of an exhaust extension for a Honda 2000i.

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/20038531.cfm

Larry H

A C-Brat since Nov 1, 2003
Ranger Tug 27 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2017 - 2022
Puget Trawler 37 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2006-2017
1991 22' Cruiser, 'Nancy H'--1991-2006
drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bshillan,

you can buy the black "yoke" they make to tie two Honda i2000s together and attach it to the genset. It has a 30 amp, twistlock receptacle into which you can twist lock your shore power line. That way there is not extra wiring and the 110V comes directly into your 110V box just as if using shore power.

John
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you can eliminate the inverter, and just run batteries and a gen set. But, if you want to have 110 VAC underway, one must have an inverter. I'm thinking of running the laptop for navigation, or even (gasp) popping popcorn underway. Granted, it doesn't have to be as big, but you still need one. Yes, you can run the generator underway, but that might be messy, hanging it over the transom.

And, just as a freebie, Peukert's Law has nothing to do with recharge. It allows one to calculate battery state-of-charge as a function of the discharge rate. Recharge is a different story, and to the best of my knowledge is more a rule of thumb.

Boris

Addendum:

Peukert's law is as follows:

C_p = I^k t ,

where:

* C_p , is the capacity according to Peukert, at a one-ampere discharge rate, expressed in A·h.
* I is the discharge current, expressed in A.
* k is the Peukert constant, dimensionless, varies between 1.1-1.3 and the age of the battery.
* t is the time of discharge, expressed in h.
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too esoteric for me, Boris, Joe, et al...

Point of interest, just recently got a flyer from Harbor Freight Tools, they will sell you a 1000 watt generator (Chinese?) for $299...there is a brand new Harbor Freight Tools retail store in Bellevue on N.E. 20th, just a little west of the big Overlake Fred Meyer store.

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Last edited by Pat Anderson on Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat Anderson wrote:
Too estoeric for me, Boris, Joe, et al...

Point of interest, just recently got a flyer from Harbor Freight Tools, they will sell you a 1000 watt generator (Chinese?) for $299...there is a brand new Harbor Freight Tools retail store in Bellevue on N.E. 20th, just a little west of the big Overlake Fred Meyer store.

Pat-

I know we get a bit too detailed for everyone to follow sometimes, but we're like a bunch of silly engineers just trying to one-up each other and keep each other honest, if anyone outside that group can understand that type of circus! (Address inquiries to DogOnDory Dan, please.)

Anyway, I buy a lot of stuff from Harbor Freight myself, mostly because of the reduced prices and the fact that I don't use tools intensively like a commercial or industrial user would.

The generator you mention is actually on sale now for $269.99!

Here's a LINK for everyone to check out.

I bought a similar unit myself a few years ago, but then sold it and bought my Honda for a number of reasons, so I'd like to point out a few differences between that generator and a Honda for your consideration.

The Honda weighs 29 lbs. , whereas the H-F unit weighs 67 lbs. That's quite a difference, depending on how much you're going to be hoisting it around.

More importantly, the Honda is an inverter style generator .

What this means is that the motor runs at whatever speed is necessary to develop the power needed, and the 60 cycle current is made in an inverter inside the generator, so that the rpm is no more than necessary to carry the load.

In a conventional generator like the H-F unit, the gas engine always runs at 3600 rpm because it has to to in order to develop the 60 cycle current in the generator's armature. This means the engine turns over 60 times a second, whereas the Honda can loaf along at whatever speed necessary, perhaps as low as 600 rpm or 10 times a second, quite a difference. The speed of the motor's exhaust is a big factor (IMHO) in determining how bothersome the noise coming from a generator is.

Moreover, the H-F unit is said to generate 63 dB's of noise (it doesn't say if this is at idle or full speed), while the Honda makes 59 dB's at full load and 53 dB's at idle. This is a logrithmic number scale, so that's quite a difference in noise.

Another facet of this with the inverter style generator vs. the conventional one is that the inverter one is very smooth in operation and produces a more perfect 60 cycle sine wave form and a more consistent frequency. This makes no difference unless you're running sensitive electronic equipment on your generator's power, like a computer. The inverter in the Honda is of the highest quality.

The motor of the H-F unit is a 2.4 hp unit that runs up to 5 hours on a 4.2 liter gas tank capacity. The Honda unit develops 1.8 hp, and runs 8.3 hrs at 1/4 load, or 3.8 hours at full load, on a 0.6 gal (~2 liter) tank. Because of the up to qualification, it's impossible to determine exact comparative gas consumption figures, but it looks like the Honda is way more efficient1 Both motors are 4 stroke OHV engines.

The H-F unit cannot be sold in California because of the restrictions of the California Air Resources Board.

It seems to me the H-F unit is one sold world-wide to develop power at an inexpensive initial outlay, whereas the Honda unit is targeted for use in a more developed country and compatible with more sophisticated electrical appliances.

Just some things to think about!

Joe. Thumbs Up Teeth
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Pat!! You misspelled esoteric. Of course, I only know that because I had to look it up to see what it means.

I bought a Honda 2000i last month when the lights were out. Paid $999 for it but I was one of three dozen who ordered them the day before. I like and trust the store (get my John Deere stuff there, too) and the unit was serviced, test run and full of gas. I have been wanting one for quite a while so I almost welcomed the excuse to get it now. It's good. I like it.

It is hard to find a price for the things online except for ebay. Most dealers listing them on the web tell you to call for a price. The one for $879 delivered was a good price. The outfit that sold me mine keeps them on the shelf for the same price as he charged during the 5-day power outage. I have seen them on sale there for a hundred less.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: