The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Hot Buss terminals??
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cutty Sark

City/Region: Kenmore, Sammamish Slough
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1989
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Cutty Sark
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:49 pm    Post subject: Hot Buss terminals?? Reply with quote

Does anyone have an switched always hot, buss terminal near the battery? I want to clean up the posts on the house battery and I am adding a positive /negative buss right there in the lazarette( along with VSR etc...). I'm trying to decide weather to fuse or breaker the hot side, all the house stuff in the cabin is breakered, but the bilge pumps, wallas and downriggers all like to be hooked straight to the battery. The riggers aren't as important, but the wallas and the 2 bilge pumps are. I can't decide whether to breaker it or not, everything has a fuse right there already, but I just can't decide whether to fuse the buss or not? The buss is covered of course. Any thoughts??

Sark
MOOSE

City/Region: Rainy Lake - Int'l. Falls
State or Province: MN
C-Dory Year: 2001
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: MOOSE
Photos: MOOSE
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did exactly that last year in order to clean up all the stuff connected directly to the battery. On a piece of Starboard in the starboard lazarette I put in three buss bars (switched, unswitched, and negative) and two small fuse blocks. I made up a cover for the whole mess out of clear Lexan. IMHO this was a job worth doing; it really cleaned things up. I can try to post a pic of my installation if you want, but it sounds like you know what you're doing.
Al

Larry H

City/Region: Tulalip,
C-Dory Year: 1991
Photos: Nancy H
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sark,

The 12 volt positive wires are supposed to be fused within 7 inches of the 12 volt source, except the 12 volt wire to the engine starter. That distance increases to 40 inches if the wire is in a sheath or conduit.

A C-Brat since Nov 1, 2003
Ranger Tug 27 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2017 - 2022
Puget Trawler 37 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2006-2017
1991 22' Cruiser, 'Nancy H'--1991-2006
Jazzmanic

City/Region: Seattle
Photos: C-Dancer
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Al,

A picture would be greatly appreciated for those of us who are electronically impaired Laughing

Al wrote:
I can try to post a pic of my installation if you want, but it sounds like you know what you're doing.
Al
Peter
MOOSE

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me tell you, there ain't no one more electrically challenged than I am. But you are in luck as we are in the midst of a minor heat wave so I'll crawl in tomorrow and see if I can immortalize my work in a pic. Stay tuned.
Al
AstoriaDave

City/Region: Astoria
State or Province: OR
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry H wrote:
The 12 volt positive wires are supposed to be fused within 7 inches of the 12 volt source, except the 12 volt wire to the engine starter. That distance increases to 40 inches if the wire is in a sheath or conduit.
These are the rules I followed in wiring up my homebuilt boat. BlueSea sells some low-profile fuse blocks that are designed for high-amperage circuits. Easy to fit close to the battery. If you fuse the line to the +12 buss blocks, you're covered, with much less stuff than fusing each circuit as it leaves the buss.

Here is a link to a photo of that installation; in my case, the supply wire for a 40A service exits a battery box through a piece of 3/8ths ply, and then to the fuse: http://www.pbase.com/bartenderdave/image/88972470/original

Split loom is an easy way to get "sheathing" in place. I also put in a 30A breaker for this circuit, up near the stuff it serves, in a handy spot, so that if something goes haywire, I can just dose out the problem and reset the breaker. The 40A fuse is harder to get to, and is there just to protect the supply wire.

Hope this helps.

journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that installing a positive buss next to the battery is a great idea, and something I want to do (soon.) Now, about fusing.

I've wondered about fusing between the battery and the positive buss. This essentially protects the wire between the fuse and the buss, since all the different circuits branch out from the buss. This would have to be sized to the maximum total load out of the battery (~100 amp fuse,) since that is what the output of the battery can handle.

It would make more sense to fuse the individual circuits as they leave the buss bar, since one could then install fuses sized to each circuit. The wire out of the battery has a VERY low probability of shorting.

Of course, since any fuses at the buss bar would only protect the wiring circuit, one would have to go downstream of each fuse to make certain that each piece of equipment is fused as well.

The truck does have a fuseable link coming out of the battery, and must have over 100 fuses scattered around the place. And it's a bottom of the line truck, so there's not much optional equipment. I've had one circuit blow, and spent days finding out which fuse is the right one. The local dealer was willing to tell me for $90.

The C-Dory factory supplies fuses to specific equipment connected directly to the battery (the Wallis has it's own fuse, for example) and also fuses each circuit at the DC panel. This seems adequate to me. That's a balance between over and under fusing, and probably meets boat builder requirements.

Boris
MOOSE

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, here's a picture of the buss bars and fuse blocks I installed in the starboard lazarette. It made some order out of the chaos of too many leads directly from the battery. I don't like in-line fuses; these are all in one spot. I made a diagram so that I can easily tell which fuse is for which piece of equipment.

Al
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess you can't have too many fuses Shocked but sometimes it seems overkill. Unless the fuse or ckt breaker is on the positive terminal, there's always a chance of a short between the last protection and the terminal. Then there's the problem of finding out which one blew if there's more than one in a circuit....

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
Cutty Sark

City/Region: Kenmore, Sammamish Slough
C-Dory Year: 1989
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Cutty Sark
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've got most of the added components on this project mounted and have decided to go ahead and use an 80 amp fuse between the buss and switch. I still dont get the fuse within seven inches of the battery though. If you have a battery switch which most of us do, the cable from the battery to the switch is usually more than 7 inches in itself. And all the ones they sell are at least 2-1/2 times that length. So do you have to make your own battery cables? Those crimpers for the 2 or 4 AWG cable aren't cheap for the one application. Also when I received my boat from Cdory the main breaker for the DC was down current from the switch and well over 7 inches from the battery( more like 20) but it is mostly in the white sheathing, so if it's sheathed you can break this rule? Anyway I'm mostly on track now although still a couple questions, the main one being a fuse between the house battery and the VSR, BEP marine has that labeled as optional? I will take some pics of my installation as it progresses too. Has definitly been a learning experience.

Sark
AstoriaDave

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cutty Sark wrote:
Well, I've got most of the added components on this project mounted and have decided to go ahead and use an 80 amp fuse between the buss and switch. I still dont get the fuse within seven inches of the battery though. [snip] Also when I received my boat from Cdory the main breaker for the DC was down current from the switch and well over 7 inches from the battery( more like 20) but it is mostly in the white sheathing, so if it's sheathed you can break this rule?
Sark, I went through the same thrash you are going through. I had to start measuring my "seven inches" after the battery switch, also (see photo link in previous post). I think the "rules" say 40 inches to the overcurrent protection (breaker or fuse) if the cable is sheathed. I think the bottom line here is to minimize the exposure to a dead short in the unprotected portion of the supply line (+12 V), and you may have to shake and bake a little. The guy I share my boat storage area with is a former USCG marine safety officer (recently retired), and he told me those rules are there as guidelines, and he had signed off on several installations (in commercial vessels) which deviated.

Like you, I could not follow all the "rules" to the letter, so I did the best I could. I slit some fuel hose and used that as "sheathing" on the supply line to the starter (not required by the rules), and in a couple other places I used some split loom. In the battery box, I cable-tied the split loom onto the positive and negative cables, and ran it over the bare terminal hardware and cable-tied, that also. I have to clip those when accessing the battery terminals, but they are cheap and easy to replace.

The chance of a catastrophic meltdown is darn small if you do stuff like that, and mostly it is not difficult. I wired all of my boat (it is a simple setup -- only one battery, only 12 VDC; no 110AC wiring), and really learned to appreciate split loom. I got a bunch from Radio Shack, and some from the local marine supply outfit (Englund Marine).

Sounds like you are doing a fine job.
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SARK-

Crimping custom battery cables can be done a number of ways.

The most inexpensive tool is a hammer driven die and punch set up that looks like this:

Much more expensive is the battery lug crimping tool that looks like this:

or this:

However, you can use (at least I do) wire crimping tools used for stainless shrouds and halyards on sailboats at look like this:

or this in the bench mounted style:

Now here's the deal.

The later two types of cable crimpers will work for at least some sizes of battery cable. I have a pair of the next to the last type and they work fine on 6 gauge battery cable.

The bench type is available for free use when making up your own wire rigging at West Marine stores, maybe other dealers. I wouldn't be afraid to take my battery cable stock and lugs into a WM store and take a look to see if the size of one of the dies in their crimper wasn't pretty close to what's needed.

The lugs and copper cables are very soft compared to stainless wire and NicoPress collars (sleeves), and a simple test run will quickly tell you whether you can compress the lugs on the bare battery cable wires. You can tell very easily whether the pressure you have to apply on the lever arm is excessive, and if in doubt, get one of the guys in the store to help you because he will know how much the tool can take.

Maybe you know some sailor with one of the tools above?

Anyway, this is an easy out of the high cost one time tool use dilemma.

Oh, and by the way, the standards allow a longer length for a shielded cable as compared to a non-shielded one simply because of the extra protection.

Someone earlier here this year ran the battery cable in a PVC pipe forward through the cockpit and cabin. Personally, I'd think a 2 gauge cable in a 1/2" schedule 40 PVC pipe that was secured down with straps would be very hard to short out! This plastic split loom wire bundlers, on the other hand, are almost more cosmetic than truly functional as insulators (IMHO)!

Good Luck!

Joe. Thumbs Up Teeth

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
AstoriaDave

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adding onto Joe's suggestions about crimping larger cables: I took mine down to the marine supply store and had them use their fancy crimpers, after I had determined from a test fit what length of cable and what terminations I needed. Don't know if all marine supply stores will do this, but the one here in Astoria will.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I use rachet crimpers for the sizes 10 on up, I use the cheaper but effective crimper such as: Ancor 701010 heavy duty crimper ($82 at West marine, but much cheaper at other outlets). I then fill the bottom of the crimp with solder, heating the fitting with a torch, and then cover the top of the crimp and cable with adhesive shrink wrap. This technique has served me well for many years, and I have never had the probelm with corrosion around heavy cables.

Avoid buying premade cables from auto supply stores. The wire is not tinned and occasionally fittings are subject to corrosion or rust.

One CAUTION, that is to be sure and put a shield over all of these bus bars which are in any place. This holds for lazarettes or the console etc. These plastic covers are available for all bus bars. If you do not, this is a violation of ABYC standards.

Also consider putting a corrosion blocker over these bus bars on a regular basis, since they are subject to spray or salt air.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
CAVU

City/Region: Spokane
C-Dory Year: 2002
Vessel Name: CAVU
Photos: CAVU
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My makeshift wire crimper. I used this setup to make a short jumper cable which needed to be just the right length. I used 3/8 in square bar stock. Clamp together and center drill in a drill press. Use a bit just a little smaller than the crimp. I experimented a little to get just the right size. Clamp tight in a bench vise. Hey I'm cheap.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: