Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
C-Trial

City/Region: St Helens
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Trial
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 12:54 am    Post subject: relaxing in the cockpit of a 22 cruiser Reply with quote

Okay--Im not giving up so easy. Awhile back I asked a complicated question about where you find it most convenient to park you backside in the cockpit while underway/fishing/crusing. Got zero answers. Tyboo, I can't picture you sitting in a lawn chair. Nor do I imagine that everyone is perching on the gunnel. Take pitty on a new owner with busted steering who can't get out and see what other Dorians (Doryites?) are doing on the water.

C-Trial
Cheers

City/Region: Vancouver
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Cheers
Photos: Cheers
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use those folding canvas chairs you can get hundreds of places. Make sure you get one with a drink holder.
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Tyboo, I can't picture you sitting in a lawn chair.

Sorry, but we use the folding variety with arm rests. They are quick to fold up and throw inside when the big one hits, and they store well in a rack against the wall under the dinette. Two of them are kinda crowded in the CD22, but they work well. If you get the vertically collapsing chairs with four individual feet, they settle down on the sloped floor and sit great. They can also be folded up and tossed inside one-handed by grabbing the end of one arm, and holding the end of the other arm against your leg. Plus, you can find the things for only fifteen bucks or so.

At one time, I had this grand scheme to make a couple stools mounted on pipe that would swivel out from beneath the gunnels, and then fold out for use. But, the chairs we have fit with plenty of room to spare in the back of the new boat, and it already had the rack to store them in. So, we still got 'em. The CD25 has two aft seat spots, but we haven't used them yet for fishing because they face the wrong way.

Also, I try to discourage passengers from sitting out back while underway. The only time I let the kids out there when moving is at slow speeds and they want to bark at the sea lions around the cannery we pass going up the channel to our basin.

I am real fond of building things in permanently, but I also have a phobia about permanent things taking up permanent space. The swing-outs I was thinking about would stick out a little ways into the cockpit when stowed, and that always bugged me about the idea. Of course, they would have been easily removable, but then they would have to be stowed somewhere else. The only good alternative storage spot I could come up with was in the shed at home, so, I figured, why bother.

I think maybe we better go with "Doryites", inasmuch as the following quip is taken from a book about a picture of a guy called "Dorian":

Oscar Wilde wrote:
By this time, Dorian had become totally corrupt, as vile and ugly as the figure in the portrait.

TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
C-Dory Year: 1996
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knowing how proud El & Bill, Catman, and Pat A (among others) are going to be of me for qouting that wild Oscar guy, I figured I better fess up. I knew that "Dorian Gray" was the subject of a book, but I actually thought it was the name of some old ship. So, I Googled it to find some dorky way to tie it into the message. I really ain't that well read.
Levity

City/Region: Shippensburg
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Levity
Photos: Levity
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

C-Trial
Spent the day yesterday on Levity with two friends. We used the usual folding chairs in the cockpit but also lounged on a folding bench that Levity has attached across the transom. The bench and cushion is comfortable. I prefer the folding chairs with cup holder. Any time spent relaxing in the cockpit of a 22 is good time.
Levity's Michael
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used to have that folding bench across the transom of Daydream but removed it because it blocked access to the area between the gas tanks when it was folded down, couldn't store stuff there, harder to put the plug in and out and made it too hard to see the fuel level. We are happier without it. We just use folding chairs and a little white plastic folding table to hold the coffee cups (morning) or drinks (evening). We love relaxing in the cockpit reading while swinging on the hook or a buoy...sun rising or setting, blissful!
Levity wrote:
C-Trial
Spent the day yesterday on Levity with two friends. We used the usual folding chairs in the cockpit but also lounged on a folding bench that Levity has attached across the transom. The bench and cushion is comfortable. I prefer the folding chairs with cup holder. Any time spent relaxing in the cockpit of a 22 is good time.
Levity's Michael

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
C-Dory Year: 1995
Vessel Name: Wilbur
Photos: Da Boats
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this isn't the cockpit, but I dig what Moose did on his bow - a dang hammock. You just can't get any more relaxed...

Story here...

Pic here...

MOOSE

City/Region: Rainy Lake - Int'l. Falls
State or Province: MN
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: MOOSE
Photos: MOOSE
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bill,
I'm glad at least someone sees the value in my hammock; yours is the only feedback I've received. Is one in the works for you?
Regards,
Al
Swee Pea

City/Region: Bath
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Swee Pea
Photos: Swee Pea
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Al on the Moose:

If you can post several more pictures of your hammock in your album, I would be interested in perhaps making one for myself. The great thing about this site is the neat ideas and projects available to "borrow".

John
Swee Pea
Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
C-Dory Year: 1995
Vessel Name: Wilbur
Photos: Da Boats
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MOOSE wrote:

I'm glad at least someone sees the value in my hammock; yours is the only feedback I've received. Is one in the works for you?

Hey Al,

I meant to reply to your original message, but just never got around to it. I've mentioned your cool invention to a number of folks at the C-Brat get-togethers - you're somewhat famous whether you know it or not...Laughing

You bet - one of those is in my future. However, I've just got to believe there's a cheaper source for that webbing, or an acceptable alternative. I've looked a few times online, and lot's of folks sell the stuff with the larger 6" grid cheap. But that 3" grid is hard to find, and at 21.75 per sq. ft., that's a $400 hammock. Ouch!

I'm truly envious of somebody who takes their relaxation that seriously... Mr. Green
MOOSE

City/Region: Rainy Lake - Int'l. Falls
State or Province: MN
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: MOOSE
Photos: MOOSE
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try to get some better pictures of the hammock this summer. I'll probably have to do it from shore to get enough perspective. Hopefully the description provided previously is detailed enough. It's really pretty simple (no moving parts).

And I know what you mean about the cost. It was a big gamble, but now I don't regret it; it's worth every penny. The six inch mesh might work but would require foam padding or something else underneath to prevent various unmentionable parts of your anatomy from hanging through. All that is needed with the three inch is a towel.

What fun!
Al
Catman

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2017
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Songbird (Bambina, 16')
Photos: Bambina
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tyboo, "dorian" had me all aflutter with anticipation that C-Trial had provided us with a label I could attach to this non-yacht club.
Haven't known quite know how to refer to us in my wrap-ups in Nor'Westing. The overused "C-Dory boaters" goes down like milquetoast.

Doryites it is. And thank you for your extensive investigation.
C-Trial

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard a rumor that the S. Californian Dorians (Doryites) would preferred to be called Dorilinos and the Great Lakes Dorians seem to prefer Doriere (not to be confused with derrière). And, finally, there is a small sect of Dorians that prefer Dorrière, since it rhymes with their favorite sparkling water.

If Tyboo starts puttin' on airs at the next gathering you may deem him a Dorrière. Remember to duck.

Just trying to be helpful.

C-Trial
Cheers

City/Region: Vancouver
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Cheers
Photos: Cheers
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My preference is C-BRAT
C-Trial

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, but we use the folding variety with arm rests. They are quick to fold up and throw inside when the big one hits, and they store well in a rack against the wall under the dinette. Two of them are kinda crowded [/quote]

Mike,

Good suggestions about cockpit seating. I especially like the idea about the below-dinette storage. What type of rack did you build--hydraulic or electric? Just a joke for an ol' papermill genius, but a serious question nonetheless.

I got side-tracked on the phone and forgot what I was going to write next. Perhaps just as well.

Later,

John on C-Trial
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: