HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

fuel economy for 25 Cruiser
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
damason

City/Region: Valparaiso, Florida
State or Province: FL
Photos: CHARITY
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:53 pm    Post subject: fuel economy for 25 Cruiser Reply with quote

Will anyone respond about fuel economy at different rpms for a 150 hp 4-stroke on a C-Dory 25 Cruiser. Also if you have a 9.9 hp kicker what is your fuel usage at different rpms.

Once a C-Brat - Always a C-Brat!
Alyssa Jean

City/Region: Guemes Is.(Anacortes)
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Alyssa Jean
Photos: Anna Leigh and Alyssa Jean
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat on Daydream and others can probably give a little more detailed info than I, but: I have a Honda 150 and pretty consistently get 4.5 Gal/hour on average. Most all of my boating is in the neighborhood of 16-20 knots, which is in the neighborhood of 4000-4500 RPMs.

Alyssa Jean 16 Angler
Anna Leigh 22 Cruiser Sold 2005
Anna Leigh 25 Cruiser Sold 2014

K7KJR C-Brats #51
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi damason,

One of the best things we did to track fuel economy was put in a fuel flow meter. It allows us to trim and adjust RPM to get the best fuel usage. In real world running, we are getting 2.5-3 miles per gallon on average. (Honda 135)

Some time ago, I referenced a chart from BoatTest.com for performance figures for the Honda 150. We found that our figures were not as good as the chart, but we generally run loaded for cruising. Do a search on that site and it will get you in the ballpark.

I was surprised to find out (from the fuel flow meter), that we get better fuel economy at 17-18 knots than we do at 12-13.

HTH

Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JamesTXSD wrote:
I was surprised to find out (from the fuel flow meter), that we get better fuel economy at 17-18 knots than we do at 12-13.

My flow meter tells me that I get virtually the same mileage any speed from about 12 knots on up to almost 30.

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doryman wrote:
JamesTXSD wrote:

My flow meter tells me that I get virtually the same mileage any speed from about 12 knots on up to almost 30.

Warren-

I think Dr. Bob commented something similar about his Tomcat 255, but the hulls of the Tomcat and the 25 Cruiser, which this thread is about, are quite different!

Joe. Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wind, current, load and your prop all affect this - BUT, I have a Navman which now reports gallons used very close to the amount needed on fill (within a couple of gallons on every tank, given issues with being able to fill to the same level every time) and I use the Garmin GPSMAP76 for its good (and easily accessible) trip computer (Raymarine should take a lesson here). I always divide nautical miles traveled per the trip computer by gallons used. Our 2005 CD25 Cruiser Daydream is almost always loaded to the gills, Honda BF150 main with a BF15 kicker on the transom - the actual calculation shows typical average economy right around 2.5 nautical miles per gallon, occasionally pushing 3.0, sometime down to 2.2 - 2.3. A caution - the Navman instantaneous economy reading is always higher than the actual computed economy, even though the gallons used / remaining is very accurate. I use the Navman instantaneous economy reading not to tell me what economy I am actually getting but just for determining relative economy for various rpms / cruising speeds. The most economical cruise is at about 1,800 rpms, 5 - 6 knots. This is at least twice to three times more economical than planing speeds. The least economical is between 8 or 9 knots and planing speed. Once you get on the plane, for us about 12 knots, the economy is pretty close over the range, although using the Navman economy setting (gallons per hour is not a very useful number unless you can relate that to how far you are going on each gallon) you can see a few "sweet spots" - for us around 3,500 - 3,600 rpms, 13 - 14 knots. The difference though is not dramatic. It really falls off again running at or near WOT, which for us is about 5,500 - 5,600 rpm and around 25 knots. All of this is very much "depending on conditions." I am always skeptical of reports from folks who say that their CD25 goes 30 knots and turns in 4 nautical miles per gallon - my guess is those folks don't really compute their actual economy, because the experience of so many of us is so contrary. It is of course all different for a TC255 because of its more efficient hull design but requiring twin engines.

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Dora~Jean

City/Region: Simi Valley
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Dora~Jean
Photos: Dora~Jean
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have twin Yamaha 80's and my mileage numbers are essentially identical to Pat's on Daydream. I don't have a fuel flow meter, but I do fill up at the same station and station island to get a consistent fill reading. I average about 2.5 nmpg, 2.2 with 4-5 people and gear, about 3.0 if only 2 of us and seas are relatively smooth to be able to cruise at 15-20 kts.

I suspect though that my boat is considerably lighter than Pat's or most other 25's, I elected to not have the water heater and some other factory gear installed in order to keep my boat light and agile. So the twins probably eat just a touch more gas than a single on an equivalent boat. I plan to install Permatrims on the outboards to see if that improves the efficiency a bit (waiting for the boat-money bowl to fill a bit...).

Corsair F-31 Trimaran 1996-2002
MacGregor 26X 1988-1996
Glaspar Seafair Sedan 18 (2)
StarCraft 19 & 22
Catalina 17 & 22
Crestliner 19
+4 Previous, 1/2 sail, 1/2 power
Al & Pat Parker

City/Region: New Bern
State or Province: NC
Vessel Name: Knot Home
Photos: Knot Home
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi folks,
I've been wondering about the same subject since we bought our CD-25 in July. At that time our dealer, Mobile East Marine (great folks), had a chart showing the Honda 135-150 on the CD-25. I'm not sure who made the chart, Honda or them. The Yamaha district rep. had similar charts for the Yamaha 150 (which we bought) on other boats, but not on a CD-25. ,
I'll try to attach the chart here:

yes, it looks like it'll go. It's big so makes the screen wide, sorry 'bout that. .
I also have a chart for 2 different props on our boat, on our website, (url in the sig.). Note on that chart, the x-axis is shifted about 500 rpm, look at the table of data. .
I suspect that the Honda chart is a bit optimistic on mpg. I'm a bit dismayed at the 2.5 - 3 mpg no.s that some of you have experienced. We don't have enough time on our to get a good idea, and don't have a log feature on our chart plotter, so just estimate miles. I thought we were seeing 3.5+, we are fairly lightly loaded (still).
as "they" say, "your mileage may vary."

on the Neuse River at New Bern
W8UT
www.boatanchors.org/C-Dory25.htm

"there is nothing -absolutely nothing- half as much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
(ratty to mole, Wind in the Willows)
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there's lots about that chart that looks overly optimistic to me... especially that bold line where the conversion from miles per gallon is actually less than nautical miles per gallon. That does not compute. (Obscure "Lost in Space" robot response Wink ). Must be a misprint.

At 5 knots, we are generally seeing a fuel burn of 1.2 gallons per hour, or just a shade over 4nmpg. It goes down from there to about 8 knots, then up again over 12-13 knots. Once on plane, there isn't a great difference (although as stated, 16-18 knots seems to be our "sweet spot" for mpg) until we go over 5000 rpm and then it drops. Loaded, our boat usually tops out around 25 knots at sea level and is getting less than 2.5 nmpg. Lightly loaded with smooth water, we have hit 30 knots a couple times (both gps and paddlewheel)... and it feels kinda twitchy.

And, of course, your mileage may vary. Wink
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First we have a Honda 130 and most of our running so far was on Lake Powell--at 3700 feet. Our boat is farily light weight--about 6200 lbs scale weight, plus food and liquids. But when we load, we have full fuel, water, ice chests and food etc. My impression there was that the 130 HP underpowered the boat. We had to get up to about 14 knots before we were on a plane. The graph above also suggests that by the jump from 8.7 knots to 13.4 knots with only a 500 RPM increase in speed. We didn't do anywhere near the 4 miles a gallon--closer to 2.3 miles a gallon at speed--overall we were in the 3 miles a gallon, but that included some running at 5 to 6 knots. On the Pacific Ocean we were getting slightly better (but maybe a little less weight) and in the 2.5 miles per gallon. This is both from the flow meter and fill up to fill up.

If I was to repower I would go with the Suzuki 175. We could not get anywhere near 30 mph with the 130 Honda.

With the Tom Cat we have several thousand miles of data and I feel fairly good with that.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Bess-C

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Bess-C
Photos: Bess-C
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have an '03 with a 130 Honda. The observations by Bob and Pat are close to our experiences. We have always boated at sea level, and the 130 seems adequate at that altitude. We have a top end of about 25-26 knots when fully loaded. I haven't kept accurate records like Pat, but I believe that our fuel economy has averaged around 2 1/2 mpg. I think the 3-4 mpg estimates for a 25 are overly optimistic with a boat loaded for cruising. We generally cruise around 14-16 knots and I use 2 to 2 1/2 mpg for trip planning.

Our Honda 130 has been bullet proof so far, so I'm pleased with it. However, if I was repowering I would probably want a little more power.
Lyle

17 Center Console C-Dory 10/16
Cosmic C

City/Region: St Lawrence River & Bucks Cty
State or Province: NY
C-Dory Year: 2002
Vessel Name: Cosmic C
Photos: Cosmic C
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Cosmic C has averaged 2.54 standard miles per gallon since new. We have a Honda BF130 and find that quite adequate. Unloaded with one person on board I have done 31 mph (via GPS, no current). The vast majority of our miles have been cruising, fully fueled, watered, holding tanked, and loaded with more than I'd care to admit, and with two people on board. Under these conditions we max at 27 - 28 mph in smooth water. Add even a slight chop and the top speed drops 1 - 2 mph. We have a fuel flow meter on board, and, once on plane, we get max mileage at 18 - 21 mph.

We now have 667.2 hours on the engine, and have travelled 8905 miles, for a lifetime average speed of 13.3 mph. Fuel consumption has been increasing over the last several hundred miles, so I'm wondering if we need some work on the engine.
bcarli

C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Soulmate
Photos: Soulmate
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:41 am    Post subject: props and fuel economy Reply with quote

Hi
Doesn't the right prop have a lot to do with fuel economy?? So I know this has been discussed a lot but what props are cd-25 people using and do you like them. I have a factory fuel meter and I can at best get about 2.4 miles a gallon. My prop came with my 135 it is S3/14 1/2X15. Les talked about a 4 bladed prop that he liked ( cost over $500 ). My wife and I have been sailors in our past boating life so props and pitch and fuel economy are pretty new to us
thanks

Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill-

The correct prop for a Cd-25 with a 130/5 or 150 motor has come up in three threads before, as has the 3 vs 4 blade prop question. Look at thi list of topics under the Propellers Section of the Forum.

P.S.: I think you already have the most commonly selected prop for the engine you have!

Joe. Thumbs Up
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a number of other specifications on a prop beside the diameter number of blades and pitch--including rake and cupping. There can be suttle changes which seem to make some minor differences--not only in fuel effeciency, but ability to get on a plane. It also depends on the loading of the boat. Also if you are running at sea level, 3700 or 7500 feet, you will want to drop the pitch of the prop. We usually carry several props--with the primary sea level prop being SS (on the CD 25 it is a 4 blade SS), but the secondary are Aluminum, and a couple of inches pitch lower for the higher altitudes, or very heavy loads. You want to avoid over propping--which might give slightly better fuel economy, but may lug the engine. (not allow it to turn up full RPM). It will help if you find a prop dealer who will let you try out several different props, until you find the best one for your application--and the fuel flow meter will help a good deal there!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Fuel Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: