The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

St. Johns River, Moving up river
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Rangers, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ron Cowan

City/Region: Athens
State or Province: AL
C-Dory Year: 1985
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Vessel Name: Elk-Tenn
Photos: Elk-Tenn
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

captd,
Enjoyed the visit with you both yesterday and really liked the Tug. You are in a great boat for this river and should be ready for all you mentioned that is ahead for the winter. Even the little cold snap today is not bad if you are out of the wind and in the sun. This is tough weather to take down here isn't it?
I talked to Ron Jacobs yesterday and he is sending me a picture. Thanks for the advice on glass over wood and I am doing research on how it was done.
Hope to see you on the river this weekend. Went down and checked my boat this morning and it was still in the water from last weekend, just told them to leave it in and I would be ready for Sat. Maybe can burn off some of the old diesel fuel. Ha!

Ron

captd

City/Region: Chain of Lakes
State or Province: MT
C-Dory Year: 1994
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Kon Tiki
Photos: Hunky Dory
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the 40's last night. Time to get on with the tremendous adventure. Braving these cold temps takes a lot of stamina. It was colder here than in Northern Montana was for a couple of nights. The weather picture looks really looks good for the next week. Back to the 70's and 80's.

We have a plan....... we still want to go on a dink cruise right in this area. Hontoon State Park. I went most of the dead river myself, but Dee wants to do it so we will take a small lunch and go for it. May or may not spent another night at the dock. Our new friends with the 36 ft. Bold Eagle are going to anchor on the Dead River. Dink from there. We might continue to be next door. I must have counted a half dozen gators when I made the short dink run. This time we will take the camera.

Yesterday we rode the free ferry across to Hontoon Landing. They rent huge house boats. 58 ft. Rental price for a week was $3150.00 plus the 11 % tourist tax. Sound terrible ,but with 4 bedrooms and 4 baths, I guess 3 or 4 famillys would split the cost it wouldn't be to bad.

captd Cocktail

2007 25 R Ranger (Mis Dee) sold 2008
2009 25 R Ranger (Lucky Fin) sold
1994 22 ft C-Dory ( Kon Tiki )
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

captd wrote:
<Stuff Clipped>

Yesterday we rode the free ferry across to Hontoon Landing. They rent huge house boats. 58 ft. Rental price for a week was $3150.00 plus the 11 % tourist tax. Sound terrible ,but with 4 bedrooms and 4 baths, I guess 3 or 4 famillys would split the cost it wouldn't be to bad.

captd Cocktail

Try $7000 per week here in California!

Enjoy your trip!

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron Cowan wrote:
captd,
This is tough weather to take down here isn't it?
Ron

captd wrote:

In the 40's last night. Time to get on with the tremendous adventure. Braving these cold temps takes a lot of stamina. It was colder here than in Northern Montana was for a couple of nights.

Yes, all of us here on the Upper Left Coast are just crying you a river over the cold snap in Florida! Especially Susan E Tom, the frozen snot hasn't thawed off his upper lip since Wild Blue Jim's last post from Texas!

Seriously, we do enjoy hearing about the river! Hope to cruise all these waterways we are reading about one day, maybe in five years, unless we can figure some way to swing it sooner!

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

barefoot

City/Region: St. Johns River
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Altered Attitudes
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain D
Glad you stayed an extra day as I enjoyed visiting with you Saturday morning and meeting your wife. Interesting that you were still OK for provisions. The weather is due to improve, so you should be able to mess about in your small boat (to coin a phrase) and maybe head up and down river later in the big one. Since the St. Johns flows north, it's hard to say which is correct, so why not do both? Sorry I wasn't up to bringing the 16, but surely enjoyed seeing the cool tug, my first.
Barefoot
captd

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you stopped by Barefoot, nice to have met you. New experience to have C-Brats visit while on a cruise. Enjoy it very much.

Seen a green 22 c-dory Yesterday go past in both directions. Didn't get the name . Do you suppose there are c-dorys out there that do not join us on line?

Posted some new pictures in the album yesterday , I wonder if I can post a couple here.....I'll try. I keep forgeting .....................What was I going to try to do/ Rolling Eyes

captd
captd

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't do it. Would one of you guys that know how copy the two Cracker pictures to this thread. Just for gigles and grins. I keep getting kicked off line.
captd
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

captd wrote:
Can't do it. Would one of you guys that know how copy the two Cracker pictures to this thread. Just for gigles and grins. I keep getting kicked off line.
captd

Sure, why not? I imagine these are the ones you mean! Laughing

marvin4239

City/Region: Jacksonville Florida/Wilmington NC
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: C-FLE II
Photos: C-FLE II
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="captd"]

Seen a green 22 c-dory Yesterday go past in both directions. Didn't get the name . Do you suppose there are c-dorys out there that do not join us on line?

There's a 2000 green 22 C-Dory with a 80 Yamaha that lives in a boat house about a mile north of Jax on the Saint Johns. He registered on the Brat Map but hasn't made any posts.

Sea Wolf

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More Fun Fotos:

REDNECK=RESOURCEFUL!!!

JOE. Teeth Thumbs Up
captd

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Joe,
Thats what the Ranger site needs.......... Hey!!, us trailer cash ( ah, I mean trash) needs a place to live too. But really think about it. Those are modulars. with two good foundations, not just trailers. . Who needs to spend $150,000 bucks to live on the water. Hontoon Landing checked this site out today just to see their competion. I told them we could compete with that $3200 a week. We can buy trailers for $1000 and a couple of pontoons for another $1000. Right off the bat we would get our investment back and make $1200 bucks. Toilets will be inside. Who wouldn't go for that? Anyone ready to invest?
We are now anchored on the Snake river, Just up river 100 yds from the Bold Eagle. We dinked over and had some delishous venison sausage and wonderfull company. I showed Glenn the way into the C-Brats and have asked him to post some interesting tails of the Exumas. Hopefully he will become a guest speaker...........for free. He and his wife Buzz have spent many years living full time on a 36 ft. Marine Trader. I bet he will answer the many questions you may want to ask. He will tell you how to do it for just about nothing.............................. He is tighter than skin on a crow bar................Ah.....His wife told me that. He will read this and feel he must respond.

Stay tuned for the continueing saga.................Will Glenn respond?..........Will Buzz make him? ..... will he still feel friendly to the Mis Dee?.......................Has he been having an afair with a girl up river? I will post that picture in our album of the suspected lass. Judge for yourselves. Disgust
captd

Posted after cocktail hour.
Ron Cowan

City/Region: Athens
State or Province: AL
C-Dory Year: 1985
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Vessel Name: Elk-Tenn
Photos: Elk-Tenn
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captd,
Sorry I missed you on the river today. The wife and I took the tug to hontoon and saw that you had gone. I checked a couple on points to anchor but did not check the snake river.
One good thing is that we did not travel through any of the river trailer parks as shown. Have a great time as you continue your stay on the St. Johns.

Ron
Sea Wolf

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

captd wrote:

Stay tuned for the continueing saga.................Will Glenn respond?..........Will Buzz make him? ..... will he still feel friendly to the Mis Dee?.......................Has he been having an afair with a girl up river? I will post that picture in our album of the suspected lass. Judge for yourselves. Disgust
captd

Posted after cocktail hour.

captd-

Is this the lass up the river?

Looks like we're really missing out on some BIG fun!!!Smile

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Last edited by Sea Wolf on Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tad and Toby Jackson

City/Region: Merritt Island
C-Dory Year: 1995
Vessel Name: Comfy Dory
Photos: Comfy Dory
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:33 pm    Post subject: St. John's River Reply with quote

Darrel and Dee,

It was sure great to meet up with you all over the holidays. We had a wonderful time on the Comfy Dory for those 6 days. After we left you all at Hontoon Is. on Monday, New Year's Eve day, we headed south a couple of miles and found a nice loop off the main channel to celebrate the Eve. Couldn't quite make it all the way to midnight though. Probably too much Cocktail Beer too early!
Got up on New Year's Day and had our last great breakfast on the water with the last of our home grown chicken eggs. We weighed anchor about 10:00 and had a lovely cruise across Lake Monroe and then through the river down (upriver) to Lake Harney at about 1:00. We had lunch at the Jolly Gator Restaurant on the River about a mile south of Harney where we had left our truck and trailer and then sadly left for home, arriving at about 3:00. I had the next day off work, so did not have to worry about clean up til then...A great trip! We are now planning for a late Spring or early Summer trip all the way around on the loop...St. John's up to Jax and then down the ICW back to our house on Merritt Is. Probably take 9 or 10 days to do it without having to rush.
Toby and I will continue to follow your reports on your trip. If we can be of assistance to you, please do not hesitate to call. 321-452-2467

Tad and Toby
captd

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry we missed you, Ron. We were at anchor on the other side of the island. We are now back in Astor. Taking on some ships stores. Wash clothes and a few other adjustments and then on to Salt Spring and Silver Glenn Springs. And on to Polatka.

Seen a big gator on the way down the river. It wouldn't let us sneak up on him for a picture.

Glad you guys enjoy your Comfy Dory. Tad & Toby Hope to cruise with you guys in the future. Making that loop will be a really good trip. Have fun.

captd
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Rangers, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: