View previous topic :: View next topic  
ffheap

City/Region: Hingham
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Year: 1983
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Inn-The-Water
Photos: Inn-The-Water
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 9:07 pm    Post subject: Going to Watertown for Pizza Reply with quote

Hi Folks,
I have always wanted to go to Watertown MA for Pizza. When I say that, most people think I am crazy. (Maybe I am.) What's with Pizza in Watertown.

You folks would understand more than anybody, when you with to take that great trip in your C-Dory. Yesterday, I went to Watertown for Pizza. It has taken three years to do it, because, I am usually trailing the boat to Nantucket. This year, because of the new 75HP 4 stroke Yamaha, I had to run it for 10 hours before taking it back to the dealer. The warranty says so. So I went to Watertown for Pizza.

We started the trip about 10:00 AM, and enjoyed the beautiful Islands of Boston Harbor. We even did our good deed for the day, and picked up a log in the middle of the Channel. We were told to leave it off at the Coast Guard Base by the Mass Environmental Police. When we got there, we almost got arrested by some Wanniby Cops with guns who could not speak english. They called the Coast Guard, who came and picked up the log, and thanked us. I flashed my USCGAux Card and showed my Decal, which helped with the Coasties.

To get to Watertown from Hingham, you have to go to Boston and through the locks to the Charles River. The Charles is that river you all see when you watch A&E Channel during the Fourth of July Boston Pops Concert.

It starts with the lock that drops you down about 3 to 6 feet. (I always thought that the Charles was higher than Boston Harbor.) You then have to go under a railroad Bridge, or wait to have it open. Knowing that we would get back about the time the Bridge wouldn't be opening because of the evening commute, we opt to go under. After lowering the Cockpit Cover frame, the boat just made it. If my boat had the taller cabin (3 inches for tall people, I could not have made it.) We then went up river past MIT, Boston University, Harvard.We then entered a part of the Charles that would remind you of a jungle river, like the Amazon. It was over grown to the water"s edge. There were a few fishermen, a few neckers, and many birds. We spotted a Kingfisher and a Cmmorant, as well as ducks and geese, including some baby birds, just hatched.

As we progressed up, we hade to raise the engine a couple of times,(easy now I have an automatic raiser and lowerer) when the depth finder showed two feet. We findly made it to a little dock at Watertown Square, and found Nipoli's Pizza across the square from the dock. My good friend, Tom Dwyer bought two salads and a Sausage Pizza. We made it.

We then lift to come back, and made it back to Hingham about 7:00PM (1900 hrs)

Some comments, both good and bad.

Good, We had to weave among the racing shells, from single to eights, with no wake. Not easy, but interesting. I told more than one coach that they did not have to watch me, I would watch them. At one bridge, we stopped and let them by.

Ugly. There were many bridges crossing the Charles, and everyone was falling apart. Where there was metal, it needed to be painted. Much of the concrete needed to be fixed, and if they don't do it soon, they will loose some of the most beautiful bridges in America. Most were brick, curved, built with care. The longfellow bridge, which was the most beautiful, hasn't been painted for years. I love Massachusetts, with all of its history, but the Idiots that run the Commonwealth (not including the Gov), are more worried about creating jobs for their dumb family members, They are neglecting things, until it becomes to late.

Having completed this trip, "I would love to attend a football game at Cornell and an auto race at Watkins glen.'

Man From Nantucket

Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always wanted to go to White Rock (B.C.) for fish and chips!

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: