Great Loop Cruising

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PenguinPA

City/Region: Tacoma
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: R-25 Tug
Vessel Name: R'Dragon
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:45 am    Post subject: Great Loop Cruising Reply with quote

Happy Holidays to all!!!! Xmas Tongue

Just wanted to see if any brats had done all or part of the Great Loop? I am sure El and Bill have and plan to visit their site next. Trying to get some information, as my wife has become really interested in this cruise and we may try and start planning a trip for next year.

Related question: Does anyone have thoughts on the Rideau Canal. We may try and do some short cruising before trying the entire loop. Gift

As always, appreciate everyone's input!

Drew

Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drew-

For the Great Loop and Erie and Rideau Canals, try the following threads:

Rideau Canal Cruise.

Erie Canal Cruise

Erie Canal

Wandering the NY Canals

East Coast Cruise

Lake Champlain Fall C-Dory Cruise

Rideau Waterway and Canals

Erie Canal

The Cosmic C is on the Great Loop at last

Great Circle Loop / CD 16

Upper Mississippi Advice

The Great Loop

And more if you use the Search Engine here on this site!

Good Luck, Happy Cruising, and Merry Christmas!

Joe. Thumbs Up Teeth

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous

Last edited by Sea Wolf on Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes .... THE LOOP!!

A person could spend a life time and never see it all. Being born and raised in the Heartland area where several of the Rivers intersect .... and just about all of "major cities" owe their heritage to these waters. A love for the river. Have travled portions of the Great Loop with Bill and El, and parts with several other C-Brats. Enjoy each trip. Work to put on a C-Brat Gathering or two a year here in and/or around the Nashville TN waters...give or take 250 miles... Endless channel miles alone, but one of the newer books I just bought was "Great Loop Side Trips" by boat travelers Ron & Eva Stob. Taking it with me to South America to keep me in touch with home over the next couple of weeks...on a big boat.

Hope to see some more of my C-Brat friends for a spring 08 gathering. Mar-Apr time frame generally, and of course at our annual gathering in the Seattle area Jan08, and the NE gathering 6-8Jun08.

Great topic.

Happy Looping.

Byrdman

C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 sold again.. May 2020
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hu #14 - Bought her again - May16
Aloysius, Sold to Brother Mike Mar16
Aloysius, Hull # 440 RF-246
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 Sold May09
TC24, Hull #51, Sold Feb06
CD16A, Sold Dec03
Never Deny Yourself The Pleasure of Helping Others.
Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Opps... Forgot the pics!! Photo Thumbs Up CoolSmile Teeth Tea

See Yall on the waters!

Byrdman
PenguinPA

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat...
Awesome Maps!

Joe- Thanks for the links...I always forget about the search engine on the site! Embarassed Please forgive me! I'm still just an a new guy, but learning a little more all the time!
I'll go look at the threads...pre-emptively, any good books about the loop?

Started to read "riverhorse" great info on erie canal, but now bogging down Crook

Thanks & have a Merry Christmas Xmas LOL
Drew
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drew-

You might also try putting other geographical parts of the Great Loop into the Search Engine, such as the ICW, Great Lakes, specific lakes, rivers, etc.

Joe. Thumbs Up Teeth
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PenguinPA wrote:
Pat...
I'll go look at the threads...pre-emptively, any good books about the loop?

Started to read "riverhorse" great info on erie canal, but now bogging down Crook

Thanks & have a Merry Christmas Xmas LOL
Drew

Hi Drew,
Two books that I've enjoyed (that are much lighter than River Horse) that deal with the Great Loop are:
"Honey, Let's Get a Boat..." by Ron and Eva Stob (yes, the same folks who have one of the Great Loop associations), and "A Year in Paradise" by Stephen Wright Watterson (about a sailboat on the East Coast portion of the loop).

And speaking of associations, there are plenty of resources on the net, like:

http://www.greatloopcruiser.com/

http://www.greatloop.com/topic.asp?pid=1

http://www.greatloopcruising.com/

http://www.cruisingthegreatloop.com/

Do a Google search and you come up with plenty to read. It's become quite an "industry." We may see you out there.

Best wishes,
Jim B.

PenguinPA

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Info...

Have to hang my head in shame...We just bought an R-25...Don't have a tow vehicle so will have to so some serious planning. As an introduction, am looking at doing a bareboat charter on the Erie Canal this spring. There is a company who rents Nimble Nomads...Pretty close to the Tug, Same beam, Same length, different powerplant so may try this option as a sampler. If anyone has any info on CruiseUSA or has an opinion on the Nomad, I sure would love to hear it! Thumbs Down Thumbs Up

Read the thread from Cosmic C last night....I'm just about ready to stop work and take a sabbatical, Afraid I wouldn't come back. Shocked

Thanks again

Hate to make you blush, Jim, but it has been reading the adventures of Wild blue to my wife that has inspired us to begin to get out of our backyard (PNW) and go do a little exploring! Thanks much! Teeth
Papillon

City/Region: DeBary, Fl. *On the St. John's River*
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Papillon
Photos: Papillon
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim,
While checking out some of your provided links above I couldn't help but notice that on http://cruisingthegreatloop.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/normal_scenery~3.jpg that these folks took a picture of our friend and host Jon's house. Wish they could have stopped by while we were having our C-Brat gathering.

Caption read: Along the Apalachicola river, we didn't see a lot of homes. This one caught our eye.

1993 Angler-02' 115 Suzuki 4 Stroke
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Drew,

It was the Nimble Nomad that made me consider a powerboat. Our neighbor had one for sale. I had passed by it in our canal many times while on our sailboat and always thought it was interesting looking... in an art deco kinda way. When I visited with him about the boat and told him what we were looking to do (trailering, extended cruising) he said, "You don't want this boat; you want a C-Dory."

I said, "Great! What's a C-Dory?" Wink It took me several months of hunting around Texas to actually see one (a rather ratted out boat, though).

The Nomad is a 6-7 knot boat; pounds in any kind of chop. A 50 hp outboard, but no chance of planing (hull similar to a Nimble Arctic sailboat). No v-berth - a nifty front cockpit (great for anchoring and line handling) - so you have to make up a bed in the cabin each day. I think the Nomad is ideally suited to the New York Canal System, since there is a 10 mph speed limit through much of it. I'd be leary about taking one in any kind of open water, though.

IMHO, it is nowhere near the boat your R-25 Tug is. Another alternative to chartering the Nomad would be... renting a tow vehicle and taking your Tug anywhere! Mr. Green But, the NY Canal System is near the top of our list of must-do; I'd rather be on my own boat, but chartering is certainly another good alternative... the BVIs are calling my name, too, and I don't think Wild Blue is the right boat for that mission. Cool

Thanks for the kind words. These boats (the C-Dorys and the Ranger Tugs) are great for the kind of cruising we enjoy. Tough, seaworthy, comfortable, and not overwhelming. Good luck to you and your wife with the Tug - it's a great boat! I hope our paths will cross someday.

Best wishes,
Jim B.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have done over slightly half of the Loop--but in multiple stages in multiple boats. We live just off the Gulf coast ICW, so we host a Number of the "loopers" both at our dock and at the Pensacola/Orange Beach marinas and anchorages.

My impression is that most people "do" the loop, but don't take the time to really explore the towns, and waters which comprise Eastern America. The advantage we as C Dory and Ranger owners is that we can trailer the boats to different parts, or do a part, and then take the boat back home--and do more the next year etc.

The average looper does it in about a year--it is about 6000 miles--depending on the route you take. To do it properly, and really see the byways, it would take at least several years. For example, Pensacola has multiple great historical sites, and there are multiple rivers and anchorages to explore. Over 50% of the loopers will not even stop in Pensacola--because the port is 6 miles off the ICW. Thus they miss the historical and the soul of the area.

So, take your time, and really discover what there is to see.

Another forum is:
http://www.trawlersandtrawlering.com/greatloop/greatlooplist.html This is a very active forum, and has most of the current "loopers" on line.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
El and Bill

City/Region: Lakewood, CO
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Photos: Halcyon
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drew --
Yes, we have completed the Great Loop and have repeated many favorite sections of it since our completion. If you have specific questions, write a p.m. to us. It's a marvelous experience -- take your time, and we would advise a counterclockwise direction, keeping most of the current under your hull and avoiding the ICW along the east coast in the fall hurricane season. We find that most Loop cruisers stay on the "4-Lane" -- the marked main route -- and that many of the joys of the Loop can be found on the "blue highways" -- the many bays and rivers that lead off the Loop and are less traveled.

"I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference." -- Robert Frost

smittypaddler

City/Region: Neenah, Wisconsin
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Na Waqa
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the full loop inmy C-22 Cruiser Na Waqa, and planned to do the Rideau, but went by way of the Erie Canal instead when I read several cautions about boaters not honoring no-wake zones along the Richelieu. If I had to give one single piece of advice, it would be to take your time. I did it all in about six months, and regret going so fast. I'm trailering Na Waqa back to the St Johns River in Florida in January, because I skipped this river on my loop, and have since heard how beautiful it is.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Grand Adventures All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: