View previous topic :: View next topic  
cbull

City/Region: charleston
State or Province: SC
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: knot yankee
Photos: Knot Yankee
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:01 pm    Post subject: window a/c Reply with quote

I was thinking about taking a 5000btu window a/c apart and mounting it under the seat behind helm. I have a commuter series. A hole would be cut in cabin and a grill placed over it to protect coils. 4" duct to inside cabin. The system would be sealed as if being placed in a window. would cost about $150.00 dollars to install. Do you all think it would work?
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chull-

I'm not quite sure what the shroudless AC would look like, but with that caveat, my best guess would be the following:

Outside of solving some mechanical and electrical fit problems, your biggest problem would be the ducting and waterproofing.

Making a 4-5" vent with a grill and perhaps a big clamshell would be one way to do it, if you're not boating in too rough of waters. A big clamshell would interfere with guide-ons on the trailer, however.

I'd consider instead a flexible tube leading backward under the galley and exhausting through the bulkhead into the cockpit with appropriate grill work.

Could you mount the AC unit on a tray with drawer rollers to facilitate working on it?

Lots of potential here, salt water air would be a factor, but over several or many years.

Solves the where to put the unit problem well, plus makes use of a space that is sometimes not utilized well.

The best solution I've seen (and the least difficult) is the RV AC unit on the top of the rear of the cabin like Dr. Bob (Thataway) has done.

Are you planning on using the unit underway with a generator, or just at the dock with shore power?

Let's see what develops!

Joe. Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
marvin4239

City/Region: Jacksonville Florida/Wilmington NC
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: C-FLE II
Photos: C-FLE II
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not completely sure how you are talking about mounting the unit but keep in mind the condensation issue. You'll have to provide some means for it to drain off.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see many problems with the 5,000 BTU unit under the aft seat, and pointing to the cockpit (as I visualize it). First any want in the cockpit can get on the air conditioner--not a problem, unless it is salt water--then it is a problem , with the typical $90 unit, like I have on the CD 25. You are going to have to seal the front of the AC unit--yet still get to the controls and clean the filter--not easy to do--but can be done. You want the duct up high--so that the cool air will spread well thru the boat. Low mounted boat AC units have squirell cage blowers, not simple fans--and the force of the air is much greater as it moves. You will also have to have the 110 volt system, and the generator--or use it only at the dock. Your weather is cooler than in Florida in general.

Much better is just putting the $90 unit at Wal Mat into the front window of the CD 22 and 25. It cools fine, it is up high, can be easily moved to under the bunk when under way, and use the foam pipe insullation to seal and protect the edges of windows.

Even in Florida or Lake Powell, we don't find the need for AC when under way--only some evenings and when going to sleep.

I also run 5000 bTU small window type AC unit on a built in shelf on the back of my Road Trek RV--and it is also good--but again, it is up on the top, and the controls and filters are easily reached. Some folks have put the air conditoiner up higher or thru the back window--but I think that the foreward opening middle window is much better.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
cbull

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, the salt air will be a problem. however, should I get two years out of it I am ahead of the ball game. I called a friend with a hvac business and he said he could get some spray to combat problem with the coils. Basically the unit will be sealed in a fabricated enclosure separate( doing away from factory enclosure due to it being vented) from the compartment and not sticking out into the aft area of boat. A shroud will cover the out flow and one to cover the return. As far as repair goes there should be none if it breaks replace it. I would rather go with a roof top air but can not add hight to Knot cents. The unit will only cost $89 dollars. The one thing I am cancered about is the pounding.
ccflyer

City/Region: Bradenton, FL
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Retriever
Photos: ccflyer
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the best inside a/c installations I can recall was on a CD that was being used in the Bahamas. It addressed some of these issues. I remember seeing the photos but was unable to find them searching the site. Perhaps the Sea Wolf remembers the posting/member?

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ccflyer wrote:
One of the best inside a/c installations I can recall was on a CD that was being used in the Bahamas. It addressed some of these issues. I remember seeing the photos but was unable to find them searching the site. Perhaps the Sea Wolf remembers the posting/member?

I think it was another Hunky Dory that was in the Cayman Islands. Try that as a search.
ccflyer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good memory -
http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=Hunky_Dory_Little_Cayman&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
cbull

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend with the hvac business came by this morning to check out my plan. He had a good idea. A portable room a/c. These only have to be vented with a four inch piece of flex pipe. The unit is only 22"hx22"d and does not have a drain line. Coils in unit evaporate all condensation. Also has setting for dehu only. $299.00 plus shipping. Will run off a honda 1000 gen.
ccflyer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW:

I have a couple of portables. While the plus side is you don't need a drain line, the down side is the condensention bucket fills up very quickly. On a hot humid day in a small office we'd empty it at least once. Worse still in a bedroom, the "bucket is full" alarm would go off in the middle of the night. So you'd have to either shut it off and sweat it out or get up and empty it. Thumbs Down

I guess it comes down to how much time you'd have it running.
dogon dory

State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: DogOnDory
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, Folks - Post Deleted By Author

Last edited by dogon dory on Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bill Uffelman

City/Region: Las Vegas
State or Province: NV
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the portable A/C unit was mounted high enough -- on the counter at night for example-- presumably you could run a line to a larger condensate tank -- 5 gal jug maybe to capture water for later use -- bathing, head, etc. Don't think I would want to drink it without treating it though.

Bill Uffelman
What's humidity?
Boatless in Las Vegas NV
drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used several differing types of portable room a/c units in my TomCat. The best is the dual air input/output type like the DeLonghi.

I got one at the Home Depot store. Having both outside air in and out solves the extra condensation problem pretty well. You could run the output line on a single air supplied unit to a container. The first one I used, I ran a drain hose to the shower sump. You could put in your own sump.

The 9,000 BtU DeLonghi room a/c is much more efficient than the single air output , 12,000 BtU other models.

Maybe you could cut some off the bottom of those units.

The dehumidifying effect of these units is great for the boat and all the bedding and clothes and towels there in.

John
C-Pelican

City/Region: SoCal
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1992
Vessel Name: C Pelican
Photos: C-Pelican
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C Bull,

I have been desirous of an a/c unit for over a year and I like the idea of that portable one you mentioned. I think I can deal with the water collection problem.

What is the exact name, and model, of that unit you are speaking of and what store did you get it from, please.

What I like about your idea is the ability to use a 1000 Honda generator vs the 2000 and the ability to put the unit anywhere; not needing to mount it in a window.
Should make Lake Meads and Mojave more enjoyable for the extended stays.

Jeff
Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When it is time for AC...you need/want AC. So, one day while sitting in another "death by power point" presentation, my little mind wondered to later in the day and to the next few lovely days on Lake Martin in August, 95+ degrees, 90+ percent humidity and a few flies and misquitos....but still much better than being in that wonderful briefing...listening to the talking head up front.

Idea Hug Idea Hug AC ON THE BOAT Idea Love Hug With my thoughts wondering about 50 miles east of the current wonderful brief taking place... I spoted the TV stand that a 25" TV was on....and thought, I can build one of those out of the 1x3's in the garage and put a $100 window AC unit and blow it thru the back window to sleep at night. I am sure it was a great briefing, but for the life of me today I have no idea who was even on the platform. You see... I had drifted to the quality of life issue in my mind and mind's eye..

You bet!! Before dark that night, Phase I of the AC on the FreeByrd to see if it would work prototype... and it did...no holes drilled, held in place by bungee cords and rope hooks, worked great looked like hell (as prototypes should)...but hoped the guys a few slipes down would build me a custom cabinet to cover the box when not in use. And, in less than 15 minutes, I could have it on/off the boat for towing...and the bouncing going down the highways.

It worked. But never got around to the cabenit prior to selling the TC24. On a 22, my bet is on the front window for sleeping at night, or roof mounted AC if you plan on AC during the day. I do not like water cooled simply because you can not use it when "boaterhoming", working on the boat in the driveway, or, when the boat is sitting in the mud at low tide...

Keep thinking, and working...it is sweet!

Byrdman

C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 sold again.. May 2020
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hu #14 - Bought her again - May16
Aloysius, Sold to Brother Mike Mar16
Aloysius, Hull # 440 RF-246
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 Sold May09
TC24, Hull #51, Sold Feb06
CD16A, Sold Dec03
Never Deny Yourself The Pleasure of Helping Others.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cabin, Interior All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: