View previous topic :: View next topic  
Knotty C

City/Region: Vancouver, WA
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Knotty C
Photos: Knotty C
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:22 am    Post subject: Knotty C's Alaskan Adventure Reply with quote

Hi Brats,

As many of you know, Don and I took a fabulous trip to Alaska this past summer. It was a trip of a lifetime and we have been reliving it through pictures and videos ever since. You may be wondering why we have not posted anything about the trip before now. I’m not sure that I can explain it—maybe we’ve just been busy, as we have both been working our normal jobs plus teaching additional classes. Believe it or not, the Knotty C is still sitting on the trailer in our yard and hasn’t been back in the water since we pulled it out at Prince Rupert in August.

At some point as we uploaded pictures to the web site and I began to think about posting our experiences my heart got tighter and tighter and I realized that I could not think about our trip without also thinking about something sad that happened while we were there. When we left in July we were anxiously expecting our first grandson who was due in October. While we were in Petersburg we received a call from my son, DJ, informing us that the baby’s heart had stopped beating and they would have to induce labor. It was very hard for me not to be here with my son and daughter-in-law and I ended up flying home once we arrived in Juneau to be with them. I was home for a week and Don stayed in Juneau. So….maybe that’s why I’ve been avoiding posting our experience. Talking about it is one thing, when you write, you are remembering everything you saw and felt.

I have written some of my memories already. We have decided that we will post our memories a bit at a time so we don’t overwhelm anyone. As we post our experiences we will color code the narratives so you know if it’s me or Don talking. My posts will be red and Don’s posts will be blue.

We'll do our first post very soon!

Dee
Dora~Jean

City/Region: Simi Valley
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Dora~Jean
Photos: Dora~Jean
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear of your family tragedy, so sad, my condolences.

Looked at some of your pictures, they're great! It is about the same route I was planning until our own family situation diverted our plans, we took a shorter Princess cruise instead, had a wonderful 'scouting' adventure in the SE. Looking forward to your narrative!

Corsair F-31 Trimaran 1996-2002
MacGregor 26X 1988-1996
Glaspar Seafair Sedan 18 (2)
StarCraft 19 & 22
Catalina 17 & 22
Crestliner 19
+4 Previous, 1/2 sail, 1/2 power
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dee and Don,

Our condolences. Many of us understand how a family tragedy can change your perception of an otherwise wonderful experience. Our life experiences are complex and intertwined with the ups and downs.

Take your time. The photos you've posted in your Alaska album are spectacular; when you're ready to share some narrative, we'll be a receptive audience. Perhaps as winter limits the northern boating activity for many, your travel tales will be most helpful and cathartic.

Best wishes,
Jim B.

Susan E

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Susan E
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:20 am    Post subject: Dee Reply with quote

Dee, I am sorry to here about your loss. It always shocking how life is so fragile. My sisters first child was born without a heart beat, 8 minutes, but she and the baby were blessed with a miracle, got it restarted and he is now healthy. I was there at the hospital with her durring the birth. Time always helps to easy your feelling. I Think it is truely the only thing that does. NO words can. Please know that I love you and would give you a hug if I was there. A small concilation is that we still have joy to come in the future.

The pictures are great!!! I look forward to talking with you about the good parts.

susan elliott
colobear

City/Region: Denver
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2006
Photos: C-Cakes
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patti and I extend our sincere condolences. How sad, and how frustrated you must have been to know about the baby and not being able to get there. I had a child born 41 years ago who died similarly and I recall well my deep sadness, anger and frustration. We hope your son and daughter-in-law are holding up and we wish your family well.
El and Bill

City/Region: Lakewood, CO
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Photos: Halcyon
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dee -
We appreciate your sharing your experience with your friends here -- our condolences on the experience. We look forward to your sharing your Alaska Trip with us and understand your personal feelings that the trip memories bring back for you folks. Our best wishes to you.

Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dee

Our condolences. We too have have suffered through family tragedy and can say only time has been a healer for us. Words though appreciated in a different way never helped the hurt a bit.

Am really looking forward to your sharing of trip and thankful you have decided to.

Jay

Jazzmanic

City/Region: Seattle
Photos: C-Dancer
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dee,

So sorry to hear of your loss. Caryn and I extend our condolences to you, Don, your son and daughter-in-law.

Thank you so much for sharing your experience through your pictures and we look forward to reading of your experiences as you find the time.

Peter & Caryn
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dee-

Sorry to hear of your family tragedy. We lost a son to SIDS some 34 years ago ourselves. Time will heal such difficult emotional feelings.

Looking forward to your Alaskan Adventure!

Joe. Rainbow

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Kent Richmond

City/Region: Bayfield,
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 1998
Vessel Name: Hunky Dory
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:23 pm    Post subject: knotty C's Alaskan Adventures Reply with quote

We too lost a child, ours' shortly after birth. It amazed us how many people shared a similar experience. You never know about it beforehand; it always turns up afterward, -when you need the most support. I relived our experience as I read the responses to your posting. You will heal in time and will discover that such a very short life has turned you into people with an understanding and compassion not possessed by everyone, and you will be better able to help others going through a similar experience.
Kent
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don and Dee,

Our hearts go out to you. Hope to see you out on the water some time in '08...

Pat & Patty

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Knotty C

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Brats,

Thanks for your kind words. It's been especially hard on Dee and her son DJ.

Again thanks,

Don

We will post a little at a time and Dee and I both will chime in on each of our perspectives on our Alaska Adventure!
Knotty C

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for your kind words and thoughts. I know that time heals the pain and now it's the helplessness of watching your child grieve without being able to do anything. Don and I have had several losses in our lives since we got our first boat, Don's Dad, my cousin, and now our grandson. In each case we have found comfort on the water in our boat. This was no different. It's just very comforting to know that there are so many out there who understand and support us.

Dee
Knotty C

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Plan Comes Together

Our trip to Alaska started more than two years ago when we attended the SBS. At the time we had a Trophy walk around but had decided to start looking at something a little bigger. We attended a seminar by Leif Terdal at the SBS called “Small Boat Cruising to Alaska.” Our interest was definitely piqued and we realized that if we wanted to do this we would need a seaworthy boat.
(Leif Terdal's boat is a 26 foot Clipper Craft, a wooden lapstrake with an I/O diesel (see photo below). He is a former owner/operator of a salmon troller who has crossed the Columbia River bar and the Garibaldi bar over 700 times. He retired from Oregon Health Science University after 30 years as a clinical psychlogist. We bumped into him at the 06 wooden boat festival in Port Townsend, WA. He is also the co-author of Northwest Sea Disasters - beyond Acceptable Risk. Both of his books are good reads) Don

I can remember that trip to the SBS, for more than one reason. We stopped at so many charter companies dreaming of cruising the San Juan Islands. Never did we believe that the very next summer we would be doing that in our own boat. Now we have made many trips in the San Juans. Never in our wildest dreams did we believe that in less than two years we would actually make the trip to Alaska that we had heard about in that seminar. (My planning of the trip actually started over 40 years ago after many story-tellings from my father of his time in Southeastern Alaska as a young Coast Guard skipper. Lots of photos and inspiration) Don

Photo of my father piloting CG50076 during WWII:

We bought our C-Dory specifically with this in mind. We crawled over all the boats we could on the trip to the SBS with a trip like this in the back of our minds. It needed to be comfortable enough for the two of us to cruise; it needed good storage; it needed to have a marine head and preferably a shower; it needed to be seaworthy; and it needed to be trailerable since we live near the Columbia River. Well, as you all know, that’s a C-Dory 25 Cruiser. After we bought the boat, I went back to work and announced in a meeting that we were going to take it to Alaska some day far, far out in the future.

We started thinking of the logistics of making a trip like that. We decided we needed, preferably, six weeks. No problem for Don since is a teacher, for me, however, it would be more difficult. Since I do budget prep every other summer that leaves only the off summers to go. That means ’07 or not again until ’09. After our August ’06 vacation I stopped taking vacation days and started saving up. I get five weeks each year, so I know that I can get very close. Just before Christmas last year, I put in a vacation request asking for five full weeks beginning July 9. I got the request back with “Merry Christmas” message from my boss. Very Happy Timing is everything!

Okay, now what? In my mind we are still relatively new boaters. We haven’t even spent the night anchored out anywhere yet. Do we have the experience to make a trip like this? One thing I know for sure is that Don does his homework. He is adventurous enough to consider this endeavor, but cautious enough not to put us at undue risk. I trust him with my life and if he thinks we can do this, then I do too! Our Christmas list included many of the resources we need to help us plan-- maps, cruising guides, charts. Santa even put Alaska GPS chips for the Raymarine in Don’s stocking. There were so many other expensive things we also needed, but we had time to get that all together.

Fast forward to July 2007. We were in overdrive mode getting ready to be gone for five full weeks. Gathering up everything we need but still didn’t have—motor and registration for the dinghy, a generator, FCC licenses, passports and on and on and on; making plans for a house sitter and care of our three dogs, which, by the way, is why we did not post on the Internet while we were gone. Not that we don’t trust our C-Brat’s family, but I think there is entirely too much information available about people on the Internet and I did not want to, in any way, put my daughter at risk while she was staying at our house alone for that length of time.

Dee

Last edited by Knotty C on Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:57 pm; edited 6 times in total
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dee

Very good start. Interesting reading about how your plan came together, especially since we went through a similar planning period without any previous cruising experience too.

If possible this thread should be moved to the Grand Adventure Forum, so it can be more easily accessed in the future. A sharing of a trip like this is immeasurably helpful to other C-Brats with similar future extended cruise hopes and great entertainment to read.

Thanks again for sharing and looking forward to the continuation.

Jay
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Grand Adventures All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: