The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Bow candy - anchor prevention

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bshillam

City/Region: Bellingham
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1981
Vessel Name: Heaven To Me
Photos: My Heaven
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:28 pm    Post subject: Bow candy - anchor prevention Reply with quote

I have read through the treads and tried to find information on an aftermarket product. I have seen in a few photo albums. Maybe someone can help me? Thumbs Up Just under the anchor roller I have seen a stainless steel pad that helps to protect the gel coat in the case that the anchor decides to get out of hand and thus hits the gel coat. Anyone know who or what manufacturer makes these? What has your experience been - easy install? 3m tape? Etc. I currently have the delta 16lb anchor and I'm looking into install on a v700 ss windlass. Thought this would be a nice addition regardlass.
B~C

City/Region: Bend
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Blue~C
Photos: Blue~C
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't help you with the stainless bow guard but, I had the same concerns so I bought some rubber sticky backed pads that are used to stick on trailer fenders. I cut the pads into strips and stuck them on the bow for a bit of a Nordic Tug look...I likey
Rob & Karen

City/Region: Franklin
State or Province: TN
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Life of Riley
Photos: Life of Riley
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B~C wrote:
I can't help you with the stainless bow guard but, I had the same concerns so I bought some rubber sticky backed pads that are used to stick on trailer fenders. I cut the pads into strips and stuck them on the bow for a bit of a Nordic Tug look...I likey

Hi Ken,

Could you give a link to the "rubber sticky backed pads"? It sounds interesting, but I have not seen the product you are referring to.

Thanks,

Rob
B~C

City/Region: Bend
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Blue~C
Photos: Blue~C
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here's a link to some at west marine, they have some funky wave patterns, the ones I picked up have no pattern.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/producte/10001/-1/10001/65400/377%20710%20841/0/Swim%20Platforms/Steps/Primary%20Search/mode%20matchallpartial/0/0?N=377%20710%20841&Ne=0&Ntt=Swim%20Platforms/Steps&Ntx=mode%20matchallpartial&page=CategoryDisplayLevel1&isLTokenURL=true&storeNum=5&subdeptNum=31&classNum=162
Papillon

City/Region: DeBary, Fl. *On the St. John's River*
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Papillon
Photos: Papillon
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen the same item in one of the photo albums and
I can't remember who's boat it was on but if memory isn't completely gone,
I think it was a custom made stainlass
steel part fabercated by the boat owner.
I am sure if they read this post they will chime in.

In the mean time the folks who make Keel Guard
have a product that I think could be used in the
same way the one we are speaking. Here is a link
to the website for ScuffBuster....

http://www.keelguard.com/scuffbuster.html

1993 Angler-02' 115 Suzuki 4 Stroke
Capt'n Bill

City/Region: Big Island
State or Province: HI
C-Dory Year: 1994
Vessel Name: Malia Kai
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:07 pm    Post subject: Keel Guard Reply with quote

I just applied a Keelguard to the area between the bow eye and anchor roller for the purpose of protecting the gel coat and it works great.

Bill Showalter
Dora~Jean

City/Region: Simi Valley
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Dora~Jean
Photos: Dora~Jean
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe it was Mike on Sealife who installed a SS plate to protect the hull, I think it was a custom job. I couldn't find it in his photo album.
Corsair F-31 Trimaran 1996-2002
MacGregor 26X 1988-1996
Glaspar Seafair Sedan 18 (2)
StarCraft 19 & 22
Catalina 17 & 22
Crestliner 19
+4 Previous, 1/2 sail, 1/2 power
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dora~Jean wrote:
I believe it was Mike on Sealife who installed a SS plate to protect the hull, I think it was a custom job. I couldn't find it in his photo album.

Steve-

You're right, it was Mike's boat, but the first one, not his present boat. Maybe when he sees this he will post a photo of the stainless guard.

Joe. Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't seem to find a large one one a quick search.

I'll bet it would be easy to make one out of stainless sheet.

Simply make a paper template, cut it out of stainless sheet and bend, then glue it in place (maybe with the help of a few dressy and strategically placed screws.

Joe. Teeth
depperson

City/Region: Juneau
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Mary Ann
Photos: Mary Ann
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used aluminum diamond plate, I beleive it was 3/16 inch thick. It really turned out nice. I used 5200 to attach it to the bow. I notched out for the bow roller. Had to preform the bend for the curve of the bow on the work bench. Then held down with C clamps while glueing down. Did not require any screws. Have a picuture of it on my album. I am sure stainless would work also but aluminum is easy to cut and form. The diamond plate is probably as strong. It is holding up real well.
Sealife

City/Region: Woodland Hills
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: SeaLife
Photos: SeaLife
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here I is....... and , yes, I had a stainless plate on the starboard side of the bow because the Delta anchor's point when fully stowed would rest against the side of the hull, the installation being offset to the starboard bow. In addition, I later installed a stainless strip that covered the leading edge of the bow to protect it from a swinging anchor.

Most folks won't need the plate on the side of the hull because their anchor comes to rest fully stowed far enough out not to touch the hull. The strip on the bow, however, is good insurance against a swinging anchor. I had mine custom made, but on my new boat, I found almost the exact same thing at Boaters World called rub strakes. They come in various sizes and lengths and need only to be bent to follow the curve of the bow. Prices go from $9.99 to $19.99. These and others can be found on page 387 of Boaters world 2007 catalog.
[img http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=SeaLife&id=Anchor_1&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php /img]

bshillam

City/Region: Bellingham
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1981
Vessel Name: Heaven To Me
Photos: My Heaven
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:52 pm    Post subject: Well it happened Reply with quote

This weekend we were enjoying Foster and Green Peter lake in Oregon and had an unfortunate event the anchor shackle got caught twice against the roller and we let some slack out on the chain and brought it back in. When doing so the anchors weight was so far out it came straight down and hit the bow of the boat. Now we have two very unslightly chips of gel about the size of a penny and quarter. Sad !! I am thinking something along the lines of the Nordics would protect this area really well. Has anyone done something along this nature? I don't do a lot of fabrication and would love to buy something nearly done up. I wouldn't mind doing some fab work, but don't have the skill to work with metal. I am also thinking I need a smaller shackle. I saw very recently a shackle at the C-brat gathering in Bellingham where the bolt didn't extrud past the side of the shackle. That might be a good solution. As well, I have a CD22 with the factory roller, has anyone replaced theirs? I use a Delta 16. I have enjoyed this anchor and have never had any problems with it setting. Anyhow, all the help would be appreciated! Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: