The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

How many C-Dory Owners are licensed Captains?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Poll Archives
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Are you a licensed Captain?
Yes
18%
 18%  [ 22 ]
No
57%
 57%  [ 67 ]
Maybe some day
23%
 23%  [ 28 ]
Total Votes : 117

JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Rules of the Road Reply with quote

matt_unique wrote:

The reality is most boaters have no idea about the Rules of the Road.

Crossing Boston Harbor during the summer for example is like that old Atari game "Leap Frog". The only real Rule of the Road is 'don't crash into something'. Ha ha, this is particularly true among the sailing students. I swear the club tells them "you have right of way" and sends them out. We all "appreciate it" when they change tack right in front of us without looking. They sometimes crash into anchored barges.

Last summer a Captain from the Spirit of Boston (99 ton 100+' large dinner cruise ship) had to radio a club to ask them to suggest to their members they do not sail within 10' of the ship!

It's not just the sailing students though. During the busy summer months it's just collision avoidance.

Well, there is the rule that states something along the lines of: when it's apparent that "the Rules" aren't working out, it's still YOUR responsibility to avoid a collision. So, even if you are the stand-on vessel and you don't take action, you will be assigned some percentage of the fault for the accident.

Matt, your description of the sailing students makes me chuckle. Sailors think powerboaters don't know "the Rules"; powerboaters think sailors "zig-zag" all over without reason. Like plenty of others here, we go back and forth between sailing and powercruising. Regardless of the mode, it's up to each individual person to take responsibility and get some boating education. I certainly try to play by the rules, but I also try to keep my head on a swivel to see what others are doing.

Being an "equal opportunity" kinda guy, I will say that we have been waked, cut off, forced to change course, and generally nuisanced (is that a word?) by sailors and powerboaters fairly equally. I laughed out loud this summer when we were waked by kayaks while at anchor... well, it was early, they were talking loud, and came within a couple feet of Wild Blue... it wasn't the wave action as much as the noise that waked us up. Mr. Green

It isn't much different from driving on our roads - plenty of yahoos who run lights, don't stop for signs, speed, drive too slow , swerve between lanes (and down here - drive on the shoulders, including passing Shocked ). Why would you expect these people to behave any different on the water? At least on the road, in order to legally drive a car, a person had to demonstrate some knowledge and ability at one time.

Best wishes and keep a good watch out,
Jim B.

matt_unique

City/Region: Boston
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Napoleon
Photos: Napoleon
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Rules of the Road Reply with quote

JamesTXSD wrote:

Matt, your description of the sailing students makes me chuckle. Sailors think powerboaters don't know "the Rules"; powerboaters think sailors "zig-zag" all over without reason. Like plenty of others here, we go back and forth between sailing and powercruising. Regardless of the mode, it's up to each individual person to take responsibility and get some boating education. I certainly try to play by the rules, but I also try to keep my head on a swivel to see what others are doing.

Best wishes and keep a good watch out,
Jim B.

Oh absolutely, same with me. I sail very infrequently but I do enjoy it when I have the opportunity.

I was talking specifically about sailing students in the sailing clubs. Power boaters definitely do the same thing and when I say 'most people don't know the rules' I am referring to power and sail for sure.

Former owner of Napoleon (Tomcat) Hull #65 w/Counter Rotating Suzuki 150's.
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's see. Hmmmm... I can drive an Aircraft Carrier, a Cruiser or a Destroyer but I'm not licensed. Was told many years ago that because of my eyesight, corrected to 20/20, I couldn't sit for a USCG license. Don't really need to but it kinda irked me that the Navy would let me drive anything while I was ineligible for a license...

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
B~C

City/Region: Bend
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Blue~C
Photos: Blue~C
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe, in the interest of national security, the Navy thought it was better that you couldn't see where you where going Smile
CW

City/Region: Kalama
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: Satisfaction
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like many, I may just be a "captain" in my own mind.... But I'm nearly ready to claim that I'm a "Riverman". C.W.
bcarli

C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Soulmate
Photos: Soulmate
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have my 100 ton near coastal and use it for whale watching tours in the San Juan Islands
Alasgun

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:50 am    Post subject: How many Cdory owners are licensed captians? Reply with quote

I wonder if ole' Joe Hazelwood owns a C-dory?
1TUBERIDER

City/Region: Crescent City
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Brats

I am not a captain. I am a qualified coast guard coxswain. I am qualified to run a safe boat. I am also a qualified national safe boating council instructor. I also have taken many cg aux courses.

For those of you who do not know the rules of the road, driving a boat like a car on the highway is close until you discover there are no white stripes, parking lots or shoulders. No big deal when the highway is empty. I really feel sorry for captains who have to deal with skippers lack of knowledge. If you boat in busy waterways it wise to learn the nav rules or at least the basics about priorities, give way or stand on, lights, sound or signals. Not to mention buoy identification, channel markers and so forth. The nav rule book is handy when on board.

Safe Boating

1tuberider
Jeff

matt_unique

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:53 am    Post subject: You nailed it Reply with quote

B~C wrote:
A poll would be interesting, I'd wager there are 15-20 folks with licenses

You nailed it....we have at least 15 licensed Captains and certainly even more considering military qualifications.
Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. Sherryl asked my last night why I had not gone to get my 6 pack like I said I was... Well, things change at times, and I felt other things more important... but told her I would get it done this year.

Interesting story from my late Father. While boating just off the bluffs of JP Coleman State Park, in the corners of AL,MS & TN waters where you kinda wonder which fishing license you should have..... the operater age of a vessel in TN waters came up.

Dad had fished, Beer Mr. Green with many of the law dogs Dog in Nashville and the story goes like this.

One of the judges and one of heads of the Tn Wildlife Resources were trolling for crapie one day, sipping a bit of TN "spring water." At the helm was the 11 year old son of one of the two law enforcers/makes of TN.

This operator age had been the buzz within the state with horsepowers now getting up over 50 hp on our rivers and lakes... (or some number)... and not longer the 3-15 hp motors being the norm.

One looked at the helm and asked...just how old is he...
Answer: 11.
Response, Hell... pass me another shot, and 11 sounds good to me... Answer: Well, he drove us last year too.
Response: OK then, 10 it is...now pass me the jar.

And, the age was set at 10, but not really in the court room environment.

So.. license or no license.... the adults are not always the best to have at the helm...with or without a license.

Below is a pic of a "kid" that use to drive his Father and me around. Some of you have met his Father, Ranger Dav who worked with me when I was XO or Auburn Univ ROTC Dept...

Yes, at times, DJ was our adult supervision on the CD16, TC24.... and today, he has a jet-jockey's seat down in Pensacola with our Navy! Things change in a few years...

Byrdman...and I'd climb on board with any C-Brat! Would beat getting hurt in a car wrec kany day...or night!!

C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 sold again.. May 2020
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hu #14 - Bought her again - May16
Aloysius, Sold to Brother Mike Mar16
Aloysius, Hull # 440 RF-246
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 Sold May09
TC24, Hull #51, Sold Feb06
CD16A, Sold Dec03
Never Deny Yourself The Pleasure of Helping Others.
B~C

City/Region: Bend
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Blue~C
Photos: Blue~C
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do I win a prize?

I think the purpose of this thread is to see how many members have jumped through the hoops and red tape to earn that document that says you can make a buck with a boat. Does having that document make you a better boater? maybe, maybe not. I was forced to get one in order to support my terrible fishing addiction. I know that I learned a lot that made me a better boater in the process but there are many folks on here with a wealth of marine experience that just haven't jumped through the USCG red tape.

Looks aside, I think C-dorys are a boat for the more serious boater and thus probably more folks with licenses. Many folks buy boats to go fast, look good and help compensate for the size of their.......anyway, I think most C-D owners are more into the whole marine experience.

my $0.02
matt_unique

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:37 pm    Post subject: YES! Reply with quote

B~C wrote:
do I win a prize?

I think the purpose of this thread is to see how many members have jumped through the hoops and red tape to earn that document that says you can make a buck with a boat. Does having that document make you a better boater? maybe, maybe not. I was forced to get one in order to support my terrible fishing addiction. I know that I learned a lot that made me a better boater in the process but there are many folks on here with a wealth of marine experience that just haven't jumped through the USCG red tape.

Looks aside, I think C-dorys are a boat for the more serious boater and thus probably more folks with licenses. Many folks buy boats to go fast, look good and help compensate for the size of their.......anyway, I think most C-D owners are more into the whole marine experience.

my $0.02

Maybe we can scare up a prize...here you go! Gift

I started boating when I was 5 with my dad. He had an old Chris Craft wooden cabin cruiser. Man we did a lot of work on that boat and I loved cruising off the coast of Maine. Anyway I started the Captain process with about 25 years of boating experience and what I knew was about 30% of what I needed to know to pass the exams. I self studied and took the exams at MSO Boston.

You will definitely be a better boater relative to where you were before you started the process, 'this aint no boaters safety course'. Now I don't mean to imply that person X with a license is necessarily better than person Y who does not have their license. Person Y may be a C-Dory owner with 40 years experience operating aircraft carriers in the Navy or a Heavy Weather Coxswain in the USCG without a license. Knowledge licensure never replaces experience, but it can be a significant compliment.
Jack in Alaska

City/Region: Anchorage/Ninilchik
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 26 Pro Angler
Vessel Name: HIGH TIDE II
Photos: HIGH TIDE II
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BC..
I really like your last line. It explains a lot of problems you see happening with boats/fast cars etc.............. Laughing

I have owned my own boat since I was 14. My Dad & I built the 1st one. 68 now. Wow........where did the time go...!!!

HIGH TIDE-II; 2005 26' ProAngler; 2003 200 Honda / 2009 9.9 Honda high thrust
No. CD026021I405; AK-5008-AK
MSSI No. 338143486(cancelled)

HIGH TIDE; 1983 Angler Classic 22'; 90 Honda/ 9.9 Tohatsu-sold 2009 to son Dan (flatfishfool)
Stolen & stripped in Aug. 18
Bare hull & trailer sold in Nov.
patrick and linda

City/Region: somerset
State or Province: KY
C-Dory Year: 1986
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Fan-A-Sea"
Photos: Misty Seas
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GOING FOR MY TOWING ENDORSEMENT FEB. 18, 2008 IN HURON OHIO.
WORLD WIDE MARINE TRAINING, INC. 1-866-249-2135 WILL BE TEACHING THIS 4 HR CLASS. THEY ALSO OFFER OUPV (6-PAK), UPGRADES TO 25, 50 OR 100-TON, TOWING AND SAILING ENDORSEMENTS SEAMAN AND RELATED, RADAR, FIRST AID/CPR CLASSES AS WELL.
SHOULD BE A WEEKEND TOWING WARRIOR, ON BEAUTIFUL LAKE CUMBERLAND FOR MARINE ASSIST, THIS SPRING.
I CAN'T TELL YOU HOW MANY TIMES I'VE TOWED FOR FREE. I GUESS NOW IT'LL BE "SHOW ME THE MONEY".
PAT
matt_unique

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:43 am    Post subject: Tow Reply with quote

capt. patrick campbell wrote:
GOING FOR MY TOWING ENDORSEMENT FEB. 18, 2008 IN HURON OHIO.
WORLD WIDE MARINE TRAINING, INC. 1-866-249-2135 WILL BE TEACHING THIS 4 HR CLASS. THEY ALSO OFFER OUPV (6-PAK), UPGRADES TO 25, 50 OR 100-TON, TOWING AND SAILING ENDORSEMENTS SEAMAN AND RELATED, RADAR, FIRST AID/CPR CLASSES AS WELL.
SHOULD BE A WEEKEND TOWING WARRIOR, ON BEAUTIFUL LAKE CUMBERLAND FOR MARINE ASSIST, THIS SPRING.
I CAN'T TELL YOU HOW MANY TIMES I'VE TOWED FOR FREE. I GUESS NOW IT'LL BE "SHOW ME THE MONEY".
PAT

ALRIGHT PAT, WE'RE GOING TO CHANGE YOUR HANDLE FROM CAPT. PATRICK CAMPBELL TO "CAPS LOCK PATRICK CAMPBELL", HA HA, TURN OFF THE CAPS MAN! Shocked Very Happy

I have been thinking about going for the Towing Endorsement as well. I have not looked into it too much because I would not have an immediate need/use for it. Are you going to do Sea Tow/Tow Boat US work? They seem to advertise for Captains regularly.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Poll Archives All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: