The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

How many C-Dory Owners are licensed Captains?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Poll Archives
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Are you a licensed Captain?
Yes
18%
 18%  [ 22 ]
No
57%
 57%  [ 67 ]
Maybe some day
23%
 23%  [ 28 ]
Total Votes : 117

matt_unique

City/Region: Boston
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Napoleon
Photos: Napoleon
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:00 am    Post subject: How many C-Dory Owners are licensed Captains? Reply with quote

I have a theory that there are more C-Dory owners who are licensed Captains compared to those who own other brands of boats.
Former owner of Napoleon (Tomcat) Hull #65 w/Counter Rotating Suzuki 150's.
matt_unique

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:02 am    Post subject: Oops Reply with quote

OK....hmmm....stupid question....how do I post an actual poll to accept votes, etc. I thought I would see those options after I selected submit....

I read the Help instructions...perhaps I don't have the necessary permissions. If someone with permissions could post the poll I would appreciate it.

Thanks!
B~C

City/Region: Bend
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Blue~C
Photos: Blue~C
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A poll would be interesting, I'd wager there are 15-20 folks with licenses
patrick and linda

City/Region: somerset
State or Province: KY
C-Dory Year: 1986
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Fan-A-Sea"
Photos: Misty Seas
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HEY CAPT. MATT,
NOT SURE IF ANY POLL COULD DETERMINE THE RATIO BETWEEN USCG LICENSED CAPTAINS PER ONE MANUFACTURED BOAT OVER ANOTHER. HOWEVER, FROM VIEWING OUR C-DORY POST I WOULD EASY SAY THE MAJORITY OF C-DORY OWNERS HAVE A GREATER DEGREE OF SEAMANSHIP, AND KNOWLEDGE OF RULES OF THE ROAD OVER OTHER VESSEL OWNERS.
MAYBE IT'S A COMBINATION OF THE SALTY SAILOR BEING DRAWN TO THE SALTY LOOKING C-DORY.
REGARDLESS, IT'S A GREAT GROUP TO BE ASSOCIATED WITH!
THAT'S MY STORY AND I'M STICKING TO IT!
HAVE A GREAT DAY.
PAT
matt_unique

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:41 pm    Post subject: Cap-e-tan Reply with quote

I was thinking the same (BC)...there seems to be a high ratio of licensed Captain's from reading replies. I can think of 5 right off the top of my head and I wouldn't be surprised if there were 20.

I also agree the look/feel/style of the C-Dory would be more appealing to more serious boaters compared to brands with lot's of soft cushions, vinyl, and carpet. One of my first impressions of the C-Dory was from the interior lights..."geez if a light goes out I can actually see and trace the wires instead of pulling out carpet and removing other overlay". I liked the simplicity and "saltiness".
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm due to renew my captain's license in the next couple months. I know I will have to go to Houston to be fingerprinted in person (can't use the local PD anymore) and have someone "review" my knowledge. I might have to go through the Chapman's to see if I remember the lights and stuff. Wink

Have any of you other folks been through the in-person renewal procedure since the new policy? Anything else I should know?

TIA

Best wishes,
Jim B.

Jack in Alaska

City/Region: Anchorage/Ninilchik
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 26 Pro Angler
Vessel Name: HIGH TIDE II
Photos: HIGH TIDE II
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before I retired from the Prudhoe Bay oilfield I always intended to do a little chartering just for kicks as well as help pay for my hobby. While leading up to that i was taking out friends and aquaintances (free) and the more i did it the more I wanted to choke the life out of some of them and throw them overboard. That convinced me to back off that and just do it as a hobby.
Consequently i never got my lic. although I had done all of the studying.

My son did get his Capt. license and worked as a halibut charter skipper out of Homer & Ninilchik for 6 yrs. until he got a "real job" related to his masters degree.

A charter skipper has to be of a certain temperament.

HIGH TIDE-II; 2005 26' ProAngler; 2003 200 Honda / 2009 9.9 Honda high thrust
No. CD026021I405; AK-5008-AK
MSSI No. 338143486(cancelled)

HIGH TIDE; 1983 Angler Classic 22'; 90 Honda/ 9.9 Tohatsu-sold 2009 to son Dan (flatfishfool)
Stolen & stripped in Aug. 18
Bare hull & trailer sold in Nov.
Alok

City/Region: League City
State or Province: TX
Photos: Top Cat
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A related (and relevant) question might be- how many C-Dory owners have taken one or more seamanship/piloting/navigation courses from the Power Squadron or the Coast Guard?
matt_unique

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:15 pm    Post subject: Renew Reply with quote

JamesTXSD wrote:
I'm due to renew my captain's license in the next couple months. I know I will have to go to Houston to be fingerprinted in person (can't use the local PD anymore) and have someone "review" my knowledge. I might have to go through the Chapman's to see if I remember the lights and stuff. Wink

Have any of you other folks been through the in-person renewal procedure since the new policy? Anything else I should know?

TIA

Best wishes,
Jim B.

If you have 365 days of Sea Service Time since your last issue you would not need to take any tests or courses. If not you need to take a course or take a test.

If this was not the case before, I believe you will need to have your prints taken and of course stored electronically.

It is shocking (or perhaps not surprising) that government agencies still do not share resources. USCG MSO Boston took my electronic prints 3 years ago, but this year I had to get a full background check for my work for the government and I had to submit paper prints....nutty.

BTW thanks to whoever setup the poll.
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My take is somewhat off topic, but here goes anyway.

We were definitely not among the salty sailors looking for a salty looking boat for the over 20 years in consideration leading up to the purchase of a C-Dory. Knew absolutely nothing about seamanship, rules of the road etc due to there being a lot of knowledge needed to go the places we did on the water, but how to interact with other boats and people was not among them. Now how to handle a very small boat in shallow water, rivers and rough water lakes, when we knew that was no back up help available was immensely helpful toward the seamanship needed to use the C-Dory in the ways we have.. The learning curve around docks and harbors was steep, but we managed without anything worse than a few red face incidences.

We are still somewhat lacking in the rules of the road but keep an abbreviated copy handy when on a cruise and study them thoroughly just before leaving on each cruise.

Don’t mean to ruffle any feathers, but on the salty thing I kind of relate it to the many Hells Angels “want to be” or at least want to appear to be. Hopping on that Harley with black leather may give them the image they crave, but they are still just middle aged or past want a bees. A C-Dory boat is not going to make you Salty unless in your past you already are or you learn to use it up to its design.

That said, I too LOVE the salty C-Dory look.

Jay

ECHOE14

City/Region: south bay, los angeles!
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: NEEANDA
Photos: NEEANDA
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only have an A & P license that I use for work ...which I use it for taxing md11's, md 10's and dc10's from our hanger(echoe14) to satellite.
Oh a Ca driver's license which I use to drive my c-dory to the dock.
& last but not least a Ca. fishing license which I use to kill fish and bugs with!! Moon Gotta go the baby's crying!! Cry
captd

City/Region: Chain of Lakes
State or Province: MT
C-Dory Year: 1994
Vessel Name: Kon Tiki
Photos: Hunky Dory
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just document your time on the water for the last 5 years. Make sure you show the proper amount of hours. 4 Hours counting as a day. In any kind of boat. In any kind of water. They are not as fussy as they use to be. Be ready to have another drug test. And a physical exam, plus fill out the paper work. Dot all the i's and cross all the t's.
Being a diabetic I was turned down one year because one test was above "9" Quit eating bread for two weeks and got it below "8" they renewed me for another 5 yrs. 100 ton which I have never needed. Maybe some day they will have a mandatory lic for boating and they might exempt lic. capts . Wink

captd

2007 25 R Ranger (Mis Dee) sold 2008
2009 25 R Ranger (Lucky Fin) sold
1994 22 ft C-Dory ( Kon Tiki )
patrick and linda

City/Region: somerset
State or Province: KY
C-Dory Year: 1986
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Fan-A-Sea"
Photos: Misty Seas
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi jay,
no feathers ruffled here.
salty is a term used by many but earned by few.
salty is a term given to a seasoned marine or sailer.
i believe, many of the posters to this site, by virtue of their content and accomplishments have earn the title "salty". it is a term which indicates that the recipient has paid his dues!
having an obsessive compulsive, but not pathological, personality, i surely understand the value and appreciation of surrounding oneself with successful individuals, such as those found here.
that's my story and i'm sticking to it!
best regards
pat

"leading the way, at home, at work, on the water and in the gym"
matt_unique

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:34 am    Post subject: Rules of the Road Reply with quote

Hunkydory wrote:

We are still somewhat lacking in the rules of the road but keep an abbreviated copy handy when on a cruise and study them thoroughly just before leaving on each cruise.

Jay

The reality is most boaters have no idea about the Rules of the Road.

Crossing Boston Harbor during the summer for example is like that old Atari game "Leap Frog". The only real Rule of the Road is 'don't crash into something'. Ha ha, this is particularly true among the sailing students. I swear the club tells them "you have right of way" and sends them out. We all "appreciate it" when they change tack right in front of us without looking. They sometimes crash into anchored barges.

Last summer a Captain from the Spirit of Boston (99 ton 100+' large dinner cruise ship) had to radio a club to ask them to suggest to their members they do not sail within 10' of the ship!

It's not just the sailing students though. During the busy summer months it's just collision avoidance.
SEA3PO

City/Region: Chester
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: SEA3PO
Photos: SEA3PO
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I votes "yes"......but my sixpac expired years ago.... I never expected to use it....but the Navy sent me to Ocean Masters License School in Seattle in about 1980 to be licensed.... I was working with a group that used captured drug boats as part of our operation..... the navy was concerned that if any of the court cases fell out and we somehow damaged the boats they would be liable...so they insisted... also licensed Chief Engineer....but that was really easy for me.... (retired Senior Chief Engineman) and I enjoyed that.

As a licensed skipper I almost never got topside though.... always some zero who wanted to drive.... fine with me..

Joel
SEA3PO
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Poll Archives All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: