Sea Skipper

City/Region: Bend, Oregon
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Skipper
Photos: Sea Skipper
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sea Skipper is a heavily loaded CD25 with a Honda 150, that uses an OSP four blade 15-1/4 x 14 pitch prop. This prop has very little vibration at low speeds, excellent bite (low slip) and very little cavitation in rough conditions. Sea Skipper has averaged 2.39 nautical miles per gallen US over the past three seasons with this prop, covering a total distance of 4300 kn. Log is from the GPS (distance over ground) as the Raymarine log is hopeless. However, SOG (Speed over water) from the Raymarine is dialed in perfectly. Fuel usage is based on actual fill-ups (the Navman fuel flow meter is adjusted to read about 5% high). No adjustment has been made to allow for wind or current conditions which can be quite significant at times. Max recorded speed is 32 kn (SOG) at 5800 rpm. Normally in very flat water no wind conditions she will top out at 31kn at 5,750 RPM. To achieve this speed, the flaps (trim tabs) must be fully retracted and the motor trimmed out to the point where the boat just starts to pound. At 30 KN she tracks straight and true thanks to the Permatrim. Normally (99% of the time) I cruise her at 20 knots or less. Optimum fuel economy is 19~20 knots (about 4,650 RPM burning about 7.5 gallons per hour) with a secondary peak at about 16 knots. 20 knots is only usable in relatively smooth water. Best one day run was from Mistral Island (near Lagoon Cove in the Broughtons) to Winter Cove Saturna Island - a distance of 177 nautical miles in 9:45 hours. Johnstone Strait, Discovery Passage & the entire length of the Strait of Georgia were flat as a pancake that day. At first glance, the OPS 4 blade prop mentioned above might seem to have too low of a pitch, but I think it is the ideal prop for this boat & motor. A slightly higher pitch 3 blade might give slightly better fuel economy but worse performance in other respects.

"Sea Skipper"
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came across the performance chart...

I find that we are running about 1 nmpg less than what this chart suggests, on average; and our speed at any given rpm is a bit less.

HTH

Al & Pat Parker

City/Region: New Bern
State or Province: NC
Vessel Name: Knot Home
Photos: Knot Home
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a quick look, that's the same Honda chart I posted on the previous page of this thread, without the dba sound readings. Yours doesn't have the info on what boat or what prop. .
My dealer, just today, "challenged" me to provide the same info for the CD-25 with the Yamaha 150, which I have installed. All I need is a fuel flow meter, maybe someday it'll get done. .
I did make up a chart with 2 different props,
or on my website with a little more data.

on the Neuse River at New Bern
W8UT
www.boatanchors.org/C-Dory25.htm

"there is nothing -absolutely nothing- half as much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
(ratty to mole, Wind in the Willows)
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The chart was from BoatTest.com for the CD-25, no info on prop. Compare the bold line to see the difference (likely a misprint on the NMPG on the chart you posted). I don't imagine I could get those fuel burn figures, even with a lightly loaded boat.
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Al & Pat Parker wrote:
Hi folks,
I've been wondering about the same subject since we bought our CD-25 in July. At that time our dealer, Mobile East Marine (great folks), had a chart showing the Honda 135-150 on the CD-25. I'm not sure who made the chart, Honda or them. The Yamaha district rep. had similar charts for the Yamaha 150 (which we bought) on other boats, but not on a CD-25. ,
I'll try to attach the chart here:

yes, it looks like it'll go. It's big so makes the screen wide, sorry 'bout that. .
I also have a chart for 2 different props on our boat, on our website, (url in the sig.). Note on that chart, the x-axis is shifted about 500 rpm, look at the table of data. .
I suspect that the Honda chart is a bit optimistic on mpg. I'm a bit dismayed at the 2.5 - 3 mpg no.s that some of you have experienced. We don't have enough time on our to get a good idea, and don't have a log feature on our chart plotter, so just estimate miles. I thought we were seeing 3.5+, we are fairly lightly loaded (still).
as "they" say, "your mileage may vary."

That 19 1/2 x 15 is probably a 14 1/2 x 15 (?) Probably a typo. Don't think you could swing a 19 1/2 diameter under the anti-ventilation plate on a 150!

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'll put my 2 bits in (again.) Journey On is loaded for cruising during our trips. I put an Michigan Wheel Apollo 4 blade 16" pitch prop on the Honda 150, mostly because it had a 16" pitch and was cheap.

During the summer the boats gas mileage was a little over 4 mpg. This includes both cruising at 7 knt. and a little 15 knt. get-us-home. We're cruisers, trying to get from place to place and see the world ( Journey On's Travels shows where we went, about 600 nmi.) At $4.00/gal in Canada, it was worth the extra time, and even better, we got to see the sights. When we had to move, the boat went through the chop at 15 knts, great ride but 2 mpg. Heavily loaded, speed costs.

By the way, the truck got 8 mpg. Towing that boat with two different trucks, the average is 8 mpg. We're staying closer to home next year.

Boris

Last edited by journey on on Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sea Skipper wrote:
Sea Skipper is a heavily loaded CD25 with a Honda 150, that uses an OSP four blade 15-1/4 x 14 pitch prop. This prop has very little vibration at low speeds, excellent bite (low slip) and very little cavitation in rough conditions.

<Stuff clipped>

At first glance, the OPS 4 blade prop mentioned above might seem to have too low of a pitch, but I think it is the ideal prop for this boat & motor. A slightly higher pitch 3 blade might give slightly better fuel economy but worse performance in other respects.

Hank- Very good observations, interpretations, and conclusions!

The four blade has all those characteristics you mention, of course. Because of the extra blade area (one extra blade plus a larger diameter, in this case), it slips less, so therefore taking an inch or so off the pitch makes sense.

Good work and thinking!

Joe. Thumbs Up
Dora~Jean

City/Region: Simi Valley
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Dora~Jean
Photos: Dora~Jean
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always wanted to do a nmph vs rpm chart and finally got the opportunity this morning on the way home from Catalina. Smooth seas, very little wind. 3 persons on board, overnight gear for 3 days/2 nights, 90 gals gas (est), 5 gal water, stowed raft, motor and ice chest.

My boat has twin Yamaha 4-stroke 80's. I average 2.5 nmpg (2.2 - 3.0 nmpg depending on # people on board). I run 13 1/2"D x 15"P props, could stand 1 more inch in pitch or go to a 4 blade 15P.

The chart is interesting, it confirms what I have 'felt' -- that there is no significant transition from displacement hull speed to planing. I'm very happy with the performance in all sea conditions.

RPM . Nmph
1000 3.0
1500 4.1
2000 5.6
2500 7.0
3000 9.0
3500 11.8
4000 14.3
4500 18.0
5000 21.5

Corsair F-31 Trimaran 1996-2002
MacGregor 26X 1988-1996
Glaspar Seafair Sedan 18 (2)
StarCraft 19 & 22
Catalina 17 & 22
Crestliner 19
+4 Previous, 1/2 sail, 1/2 power
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Fuel Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: