View previous topic :: View next topic  
marvin4239

City/Region: Jacksonville Florida/Wilmington NC
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-FLE II
Photos: C-FLE II
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:38 pm    Post subject: MOB in Saint Johns Reply with quote

A 27 year old man apparently lost his life today while trying to refuel his outboard while underway in the Saint Johns. It appears he was leaning over the transom trying to pour fuel in his kicker while his wife was operating what appeared to be approximately a 30 ft sailboat. Details are not clear but the part of the river he went overboard in is maybe a mile and half wide. He wasn't wearing a life preserver. Search and rescue hasn't located the body yet. Just yesterday we had a 6 story parking garage that was under construction collapse in downtown Jacksonville. Things haven't been to pleasant around the River City lately.

By Jessica Clark
First Coast News

CLAY COUNTY, FL -- Authorities from several agencies are searching by water and by air for a missing boater on the St. Johns River.

The Clay County Sheriff's Office received a call for help from a woman in a sailboat. She told authorities her husband fell overboard while trying to fill up a gas can just after 9 a.m.

Authorities located her a few miles south of the Shands Bridge in the sailboat. Crews also recovered a gas can, but the 27-year-old man has not been found.

The couple is from Miami.

Search teams are staged near the Williams Park Road boat ramp.

Three helicopters are up in the air looking for the man.

Dive teams and boats from Jacksonville Fire & Rescue, the Coast Guard and the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) are also helping out.

The sheriff's office says the water is very dark.

First Coast News reporter Jessica Clark will have the very latest beginning at 5 p.m.

Chester

City/Region: home
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sold to lovely couple
Photos: Chester
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terrible, and it happens in an an instant.
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terrible yes. Also, yet another example of why you should buy a comfortable, self-inflating life vest and ALWAYS wear it on the boat. I'd bet that >90% of all boating deaths could be avoided by this simple approach. I'd also bet that there are many C-Brats who do not consistently wear a life vest when operating or riding in their boat. So, if any of you reading this are one of those who doesn't, please change your habits so that one day we don't have a sad thread on the site about you. Love
JimD

City/Region: Chesterfield (James River)
State or Province: VA
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rogerbum wrote:
I'd bet that >90% of all boating deaths could be avoided by this simple approach. I'd also bet that there are many C-Brats who do not consistently wear a life vest when operating or riding in their boat.

I and my family are never in a boat without a pfd on.
I swam competitively in high school and college. I put myself through college as a pool and beach (North Beach Service, Va Bch) lifeguard as well as a swim coach and instructor ( WSI, AI). Look no matter how good a swimmer you are, or what precautions you THINK you have made to keep you from falling out of the boat, things happen. Fainting spells..even just from an accidental hard knocks of your head or elbow, minor heart attacks, slipping on surfaces; not to mention cold water inhallation reflex. Heavy clothing in cold weather drags you down fast. INMHO, everyone should wear some form of pfd when in a boat...period.

Chester

City/Region: home
Vessel Name: Sold to lovely couple
Photos: Chester
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inflatable PFD's are great. If your PFD dosen't have a whistle attached, get one. We keep the door open when one person is in the cockpit and the other is inside. A boarding ladder is available at all times. The list goes on.
Thing is, just a few basic safety precautions can make all the difference.
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimD wrote:
rogerbum wrote:
I'd bet that >90% of all boating deaths could be avoided by this simple approach. I'd also bet that there are many C-Brats who do not consistently wear a life vest when operating or riding in their boat.

I swam competitively in high school and college. I put myself through college as a pool and beach (North Beach Service, Va Bch) lifeguard as well as a swim coach and instructor ( WSI, AI). Look no matter how good a swimmer you are, or what precautions you THINK you have made to keep you from falling out of the boat, things happen. Fainting spells..even just from an accidental hard knocks of your head or elbow, minor heart attacks, slipping on surfaces; not to mention cold water inhallation reflex. Heavy clothing in cold weather drags you down fast. INMHO, everyone should wear some form of pfd when in a boat...period.

Do you sleep with one on? Laughing

JimD

City/Region: Chesterfield (James River)
State or Province: VA
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile
Xmas Naughty
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is hard to argue against safety and the loss of a life certainly brings this out. On the other hand, I have boated all of my life (since about 2 months of age--and none of the photos of me when very young included life vests in some very small boats). I have fallen overboard at sea when about 10 years old (my dad did not believe in toe rails or lifelines, pulpits) and at anchor/dock several times when young. I had learned basic water safety about the time I was walking. My kids always wore life jackets when on deck or when there was a possibilty of going on deck. My grand children wear life jackets on my boats, while there is any potential of going on the deck. We keep inflatable PFD are right by the door (with whistle, strobe, and if it is rough, the VHF radio and PLB clipped on). If we have to go on deck, then the life vest goes on. As we age, and more likely to have a medical accident, slip or fall or are not as strong a swimmer, we will wear the life jackets more. We wear type III life vests in the dinghy. But in the cabin, we do not wear life jackets. Whe we are on deck with the children (not in the cockpit) we wear vests. Actually I think that children should wear life jackets on the dock as well. Probably as many kids fall off the dock as off boats.

We don't know the entire sequence of what happened to the person on the St. Johns, but most likely the water was cold. Our local bay water is down into the high 50's where it will stay for the winter. We don't know what expertise his wife had--and it is very important that the spouse be able to handle the boat, and get back to a person who fell overboard. If the goal was staying on the boat--a safety harness should have been worn--and sailboats of this size should have safety harnesses for all of the crew. When sailing, we often wore safety harnesses and had strong points on the deck/mast/cockpit for attatchment, as well as jacklines.

Certainly if you don't feel secure, have any hesitency about safety then wear a life jacket. However, do also learn water safety, use all methods available to avoid falling overboard, and be sure that the other people in the boat can rescue a person overboard. We used to have regular overboard drills--not a bad idea.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
marvin4239

City/Region: Jacksonville Florida/Wilmington NC
Vessel Name: C-FLE II
Photos: C-FLE II
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use to foolishly never wear a life jacket and I've been boating on and off for over 50 years. Last summer I went to the inland side of a barrier Island by my house like I've done hundreds of times. I anchor and walk across the island and look for sharks teeth and shells on the ocean side. Since the tide was going out I anchored in about 5 feet of water so the tide wouldn't leave me high and dry. I jumped over the side and tried to swim. Do to health issues that I try to ignore I barely made it. Even though I could stand the water pressure took my breath away. I wear and inflatable jacket now anytime I'm in the cockpit.
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hunkydory wrote:
JimD wrote:
rogerbum wrote:

Do you sleep with one on? Laughing

Actually we do take the wearing of a pfd seriously. In the cabin within quick access is always our Mustang suit tops. These look and wear like a comfortable waterproof jacket, but have an internal type 111 pfd. They are a carry over from when we used to explore rivers with our RIB. This is a photo of Jo-Lee in the full Mustang suit after arriving in Haines, Alaska from Skagway, Alaska in 2001. The Mustang Suit also offers some protection from the cold and extends the survivability time in the cold water.

In addition to the Mustang Suit we also have in the cabin hanging by the cockpit to cabin door the comfortable easy to don auto inflating pfd. We don't normally wear either in the cabin or cockpit, but we do put on either the Mustang top or full suit if we feel conditions warrant it. Also one or the other is put on if going to top or bow or working on--checking motors. The Mustang suits are a top priority in our emergency evac plans.

If children are aboard they must wear a pfd whether in cabin or cockpit. Personally don't feel its necessaary for Jo-Lee and I to have a pfd on all the time. To many other way more important safety considerations to be made and the CD 22's structure just doesn't warrent the need to us. I think I can quarentee this much. No pfd in a C-Dory cabin or cockpit is much safer than wearing a full Mustang Suit on many of the places we have been in our RIB and canoe.

One other thing--neither of us ever leaves the cabin without notifying the other whether underway or not.

Jay
Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our C-Brat friend Jeff Brigner & his friend Bob are somewhere on the south end area of the St. John's River now. C-Pearl.

Byrdman

C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 sold again.. May 2020
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hu #14 - Bought her again - May16
Aloysius, Sold to Brother Mike Mar16
Aloysius, Hull # 440 RF-246
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 Sold May09
TC24, Hull #51, Sold Feb06
CD16A, Sold Dec03
Never Deny Yourself The Pleasure of Helping Others.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some of the newer boaters there are a number of different PDF's to consider. We carry two type I PFD, which are moderately comfortable to wear, give 24 lbs of flotation foam, and give head support as well as some back flotation. Then we have the "usual" type II, near shore with about 16 lbs of floatation--which are to fulfill the requirement for guests aboard.

Our personal favorites are vests which were custom made for us by North Sails about 30 years ago when we were racing and featuring North Sails on our boat. These fit very well, have pockets for the radio/EPRIB and are give great rib protection if we are getting thrown around in heavy seas. These are also very good cold weather vests--similar to the Mustang "integrity vest". For the dinghy we use a open mesh vest, with pockets--again for safety gear--and the minimum floatation of 16 lbs in the foam which allows for "breathing" in our hot Florida weather.

I mentioned the inflatable PFD's we keep by the cabin door, and we wear if we go on deck in heavy weather.

Also in rough weather to be considered is a "super" life jacket, like the Mustang "lift"--which gives 40 lbs of inflatable floatation.

If I lived in the PNW, I would definately own a type V float coat, with an inflatable bladder such as the Float-tech which gives 32 lbs of floatation with the bladder inflated. (And probably a Mustang or Sterns survival suit). It is also a good idea to have a coat which has a beaver tale, which will keep the jacket from rising up and also give some further protection from hypothermia. But nothing will beat the real survival suits if you have to go into the water. The problem is that many of the suits and some lifejackets are hard to work in and are not that comfortable.

We also keep an assortment of childrens lifejackets for from infant to 90 lbs around so that we will always have a PFD for visiting children.

Try out different life jackets for comfort and fit before deciding on what you will buy--as well as the "usual" class II PFD's.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:41 pm    Post subject: Not usually. Reply with quote

Jay and Joleen asked,
Quote:
"Do you sleep with one on? "

Not usually, actually have not, but would if conditions mertied it. Although If it's that bad, might not be getting much sleep. I do ALWAYS turn on the automatic bilge pump switch for over night.

Harvey
Sleepy C Moon

oldgrowth

City/Region: Rochester
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Voyager
Photos: C-Voyager
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why you should always wear a live vest on board your boat.

video

You never know when someone will drop an anchor on you.

________
Dave
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldgrowth wrote:
Why you should always wear a live vest on board your boat.

video

You never know when someone will drop an anchor on you.

________
Dave

I'm surprised all the anchor did was wipe out the contact pushing structure on the boat, not break off the bow entirely! It's steel, I know. And we don't really know how much other damage was done, of course.

Does the protocol for dropping anchor on a sea going ship call for looking out below first?

Note ANCHORS AWEIGH.......... Note Note Note Note!!!

Joe. Smile

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Boating Safety All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: