The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Help with shore power plug
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
snal

City/Region: Asheville
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 1994
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Thelma Lou
Photos: Thelma Lou
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:40 pm    Post subject: Help with shore power plug Reply with quote

I'm looking for a waterproof plug to mount as a thru-wall in the cabin wall, under the gunnel. I'll be plugging in a dock shorepower cord, and a cord rigged from a generator. The thru-wall plug will be wired to a GFI outlet box that I'll mount inside the cabin.
There are so many choices available that I have no idea which one I need!
I'm assuming that I need one that will accept a common (30A?) dock cord, or do most docks have a female plug rather than a cord?
These things are impossible to find in stock, or find anyone that would know what I need, here in western NC.
TIA!

Currently looking for a steal of a deal on a 25' "Thelma Lou II"
flapbreaker

City/Region: Hillsboro
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Playin' Hooky
Photos: Playin' Hooky
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe this is what your looking for.

You can find it online at retailers like boaters world, west marine

http://www.boatersworld.com/product/196740021.htm

For more info on it go here:
http://www.marinco.com/scpt/ProdPage.php?loadItem=301EL-B_ParkPower%20Recreational

This is where I installed mine. Sounds like you have the same idea. Not the best picture of it but you get the idea.
snal

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!...that's exactly the information that I needed!
I've looked at alot of plugs, but they range from $59 to over $200!

What do you have on the cabin side? I have a 4 outlet GFI box that has an on/off switch on it. Thought I'd hard wire it directly to that plug, and mount the outlet box somewhere behind the helm seat in our 22 angler.
My onboard charger is on the port side though.
How does yours work out being on the starboard side?
Sneaks

City/Region: San Diego (Encinitas)
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Brat
Photos: Jenny B and C-Brat
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's some info on the "Jenny B" installation.

Brat #483
"Jenny B" 2005 C-22/F75 sold, Oct. 2008
"C-Brat" 1993 C-16 angler/50 hp
flapbreaker

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this CGFI box. It was the only one I could find that included a 15amp breaker.
You can find it here: http://www.hechinger.com/web/catalog/product_detail.aspx?pid=93844&cm_ven=Nextag&cm_cat=Power%20Tools&cm_pla=Prime%20Wire%20&%20Cable&cm_ite=Prime%20Wire%20&%20Cable-Accessories-93844&cid=3D0812FE46F93536A8D996F6F2CA3D26

I cut the plug off and wired directly to the marinco power inlet. I have the prosport 12amp onboard charger plugged into the CGFI.

When the boats home I use one of these pigtail adapters so I can plug an extension chord into the power inlet and charge the batteries.

http://www.marinco.com/scpt/ProdPage.php?loadItem=104A_Marinco%20Shore%20Power#

So far I have only used the "shore power" to plug in at home and keep the batteries charged so having everything on the starboard side has not been a problem. All these adapters are expensive though.
snal

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked everywhere for that plug, thinking that I might be able to find it locally, but couldn't find one. Finally decided that I prefer the twist-lock.
I think I have the same GFI box, but was thinking that ours was a 4-way...maybe the size fooled me, but we do have the same battery charger.
How did you wire the charger? I've been following the "shorepower/charger" threads of late...I only have 2 batteries, and ran the charger wiring directly to each battery individually. Seems to work fine, but I've noticed that it will not indicate a full charge all the time. If it doesn't indicate full...when I know it should , then if I unplug the power cord, and plug it back in, it'll read a full charge. Strange!
snal

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flapbreaker, how do you have the battery charger wired to AC? If it plugs into the GFI box then why would you need the adaptor to charge at home?
Jazzmanic

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
Photos: C-Dancer
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm planning to do the exact same installation but I have a dumb question. Embarrased

If I decided to put the 30amp inlet like pictured in flapbreakers post, does it matter if I direct wire the 15amp cord from the CGFI box to the inlet? It's just that I don't particularly like to use the pigtail adaptor also shown in the post above. I have one but it's so bulky and awkward. I'd rather plug the female end of the 30amp shorepower cord directly into the outlet rather than using the adaptor. My question, any problem or something I should know regarding wiring if I did it this way?

BTW, I really like the simplicity of this "shorepower", sneaks and flapbreaker. Thanks for sharing.

Peter
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry, you need a cord too. Marina's don't provide them, and they usually have the three prong 30 AMP Female sockets. It would also be a good idea to get an adapter that converts the end of the cord, the 30AMP Male plug to a male regular three prong plug, the kind that will plug into a regular three prong grounded 110V outlet. That way you can plug it into an extension cord at home.

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
flapbreaker

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

snal wrote:
Flapbreaker, how do you have the battery charger wired to AC? If it plugs into the GFI box then why would you need the adaptor to charge at home?

The battery charger plugs into the GFI receptical. It get's it's power through the Power inlet installed in the bulkhead. The reason I did this is so I can keep the cabin locked up but by using the Marinco 104A pigtail adapter I can still plug into an extension chord and the charger will keep the batteries charged. If keeping the cabin locked is no issue then you could just run an extension cord inside the cabin and pug into the charger. I went with the Marinco 30amp power inlet so that I would still have the option of plugging into shore power at the dock. Also, each battery has it's own run of wire from the charger. Hope this helps.
snal

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flapbreaker wrote:
snal wrote:

The battery charger plugs into the GFI receptical. It get's it's power through the Power inlet installed in the bulkhead. The reason I did this is so I can keep the cabin locked up but by using the Marinco 104A pigtail adapter I can still plug into an extension chord and the charger will keep the batteries charged. If keeping the cabin locked is no issue then you could just run an extension cord inside the cabin and pug into the charger. I went with the Marinco 30amp power inlet so that I would still have the option of plugging into shore power at the dock. Also, each battery has it's own run of wire from the charger. Hope this helps.

I see!...thanks for the clarification.
snal

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jazzmanic wrote:
I'm planning to do the exact same installation but I have a dumb question. Embarrased

BTW, I really like the simplicity of this "shorepower", sneaks and flapbreaker. Thanks for sharing.

Peter

I do too!...but from what I have read...don't swim around the boat with the power on.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing to consider is why use a more expensive 30 amp connector, cord and pigtails when you will never be running more than 15 amps?

If you were only going to plug into a dock with 30 amp twist locks the 30 amp set would make sense. But if you are going to use at home 15 amp plugs and the generator (which will have a 15 amp plug) or RV parks with 15 amps plugs (or RV 30 amp plugs), consider using a 15 amp inlet as in Sneaks post. Then you can use a standard heavy duty extension cord for most use, and an adaptor for the 30 amp twist locks when necessary.

We have several sets of cords and adaptors. We run the boats off 15 amps much of the time (at RV campsites and off the Honda generator)--and have a 15 amp amp male to a 30 amp female twist lock (boat end) cord made up.

As pointed out, when you do the direct wiring, it is not to ABYC standards--If you are just pluging in the coffee pot, it is a little different than a permently installed battery charger....

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
snal

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
One thing to consider is why use a more expensive 30 amp connector, cord and pigtails when you will never be running more than 15 amps?

If you were only going to plug into a dock with 30 amp twist locks the 30 amp set would make sense. But if you are going to use at home 15 amp plugs and the generator (which will have a 15 amp plug) or RV parks with 15 amps plugs (or RV 30 amp plugs), consider using a 15 amp inlet as in Sneaks post. Then you can use a standard heavy duty extension cord for most use, and an adaptor for the 30 amp twist locks when necessary.

We have several sets of cords and adaptors. We run the boats off 15 amps much of the time (at RV campsites and off the Honda generator)--and have a 15 amp amp male to a 30 amp female twist lock (boat end) cord made up.

As pointed out, when you do the direct wiring, it is not to ABYC standards--If you are just pluging in the coffee pot, it is a little different than a permently installed battery charger....

Makes sense! My use would likely be at the dock, at home, or while anchored. My thoughts for the twist-lock were based on keeping the connection during vibration, and connections inside the cabin would not be of the twist-lock variety anyway....dang it...you have me thinking again! Xmas Eek
SeaSpray

City/Region: Brentwood, CA
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: SeaSpray
Photos: SeaSpray
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the exact same set-up as the JennyB except a different charger. I carry a heavy duty extension cord and a 30A adapter for at marinas.

Steve
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: