The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Nav lights out...why?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
timflan

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Two Lucky Fish +1
Photos: Two Lucky Fish
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:46 pm    Post subject: Nav lights out...why? Reply with quote

My red and green nav lights were working fine when I came home in the dark Thanksgiving weekend. I was out at the boat today to check on things after all the snow, rain, and wind, and it seems that my nav lights are out.

Both the red and green ones fail to light, but the masthead all-around white lamp lights as normal, whether the Running Lights switch or the Anchor Light switch is activated.

It seems unlikely that both side lamps burned out simultaneously, but that'll be the first thing I check next time I'm at the boat. Any other possibilities I should be aware of?

jkidd

City/Region: Northern, Utah
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Voyager
Photos: Voyager (JK)
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The red and green light are on a separate circuit from the 360 light. My boat has circuit breakers for these. If you have access to a volt meter check for 12 volt before and after the fuses or circuit breakers. Probably a blown fuse or tripped breaker.

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree that the red and green are on separate fuse/breakers than the steaming/anchor light. It is also possiable that the switch has gone bad--or that the wire came off the switch--(more likely if a spade connector)--and since the white is separate, it will still work.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Almas Only

City/Region: Richmond
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Alma's Only
Photos: Alma's Only
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had problems with the side nav lights from time to time, and it's always the spade connectors which attach the wiring to the fuse. If that's where your problem is, you can attempt a fix by either (or both) of bending the sides of the connector down so that it fits tighter onto the spade, or using cable ties to secure the wires to other wires or objects so that any slight force the nav light wires exert against the connection is eliminated.

Not a big problem, but somthing you should put on your Spring or Big Trip checklist.

matt_unique

City/Region: Boston
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Napoleon
Photos: Napoleon
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:46 am    Post subject: Problem crop up after trailering? Reply with quote

Out of curiosity, did this problem appear after trailering your boat? It's amazing how often electrical problems can occur after the boat has been bouncing on the road. After too many experiences with this I always check all my switches after my vessel has been on the road.

Both bulbs did not burn out at once, you lost power either from a blown fuse (likely indicating other problems) or a connector has come loose.

Former owner of Napoleon (Tomcat) Hull #65 w/Counter Rotating Suzuki 150's.
timflan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Problem crop up after trailering? Reply with quote

matt_unique wrote:
Out of curiosity, did this problem appear after trailering your boat? It's amazing how often electrical problems can occur after the boat has been bouncing on the road. After too many experiences with this I always check all my switches after my vessel has been on the road.
A good tip, but not in this case. Came back to the marina (after dark, nav lights working), tied up, shut down, drove home. Now they don't work.

I'll check the connectors and fuses/breakers next time.
timflan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turns out they're both burned out. One obviously...the filament is clearly broken. The other looks to be intact, but the ohm meter can't get any current through it. OK, well that's an easy fix!

I'm just a little surprised that they both failed simultaneously. I wonder if there's something else going on.
Knotty C

City/Region: Vancouver, WA
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Knotty C
Photos: Knotty C
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our port and starboard nav lights kept burning out. This can be caused from too high a charging voltage or an incorrect voltage bulb but not with our CD. I finally got tired of changing bulbs underway and replaced both with LED units I purchased from the Seattle Boat Show last year. I've had no problem so far.

I wonder if Mac was having the same problem?

Don
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: