Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
terraplane

City/Region: chesapeake bay
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: R-25 Tug
Vessel Name: BANJO
Photos: Sally's Sister
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:05 pm    Post subject: winter reading Reply with quote

One of the recent threads mentions good reading . I'd be interested in recommendations from our group for books related to the sea, water travel, adventure by boat, etc. I 'd start it off by recommending a book on the Chesapeake Bay, BEAUTIFUL SWIMMERS, by William Warner.....just the best book on the Bay , seen from the perspective of the Maryland Blue Crab..I read and hibernate all winter. My 22 is located just one mile from the log cabin, in the water,...stoke up the Wallas, and read..
marvin4239

City/Region: Jacksonville Florida/Wilmington NC
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-FLE II
Photos: C-FLE II
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great idea! I'm always looking for something new to read. Sea of Glory and In the Heart of the Sea both by Nathaniel Philbrick are very good. Linda Greenlaw the lady Swordfish Captain from the Perfect Storm has written two pretty good books The Lobster Chronicles and The Hungry Ocean.
Papillon

City/Region: DeBary, Fl. *On the St. John's River*
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Papillon
Photos: Papillon
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a good read for those interested in adventures at sea.

Webb Chiles
Storm Passage
Alone Around Cape Horn
http://www.inthepresentsea.com/books_files/STORM_PASSAGE.pdf

-----------------------------
The Ocean Waits
http://www.inthepresentsea.com/books_files/THE_OCEAN_WAITS.pdf

-----------------------------
THE OPEN BOAT:
Across the Pacific
http://www.inthepresentsea.com/books_files/THE_OPEN_BOAT.pdf

These are in pdf format and free to read online or you can print it out so you can take it to the boat.[/url]

1993 Angler-02' 115 Suzuki 4 Stroke
westward

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1985
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Steady Eddy
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Terraplane, for suggesting this! I have four right off the top of my head: 1. An Island to Oneself, Tom Neale - a South Seas classic which I've read thrice. Non-fiction 2. Trekka Round the World, John Guzzwell - British Columbia young man builds small sailboat out of plywood and sails it around the world. Non-fiction 3. A world to the West (cant remember authors) - a young Canadian couple takes a couple of years off and sails the world together). Non-fiction 4. Highliners (can't remember author) - account of Bering Sea crabbing). Historical fiction I believe. I also concur with The Hungry Ocean recommendation above. Ill add one more, not specifically nautical but delightful and non-fiction: I married the Klondike, Laura Berton - young woman takes teaching position in Dawson City during the gold rush, ostensibly for a one year committent, and ends up staying for 25. Preface on this one is by Robert Service. Keep these coming, folks!!! Mike.
SeaSpray

City/Region: Brentwood, CA
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: SeaSpray
Photos: SeaSpray
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay - I have one.

I have never met anyone else who has read this. I found it in the library and thought it was a great true story/adventure. The title is "Children of Cape Horn".

It is about a young english couple who buy a catamaran to live on and then decide to sail around the world. And, of-course they had never sailed before buying the boat.

It is listed on Amazon but looks like only used ones are available.

I can also recomend books by Sir Francis ChiChester. One of his books first sparked my interest in sailing.

For a great survival book try "Adrift" by Steve Callahan.

For WWll submarine stories try "The Wake of the Wahoo" "Silversides", and "Submarine Commander". This last one is a great book about the British subs.

Thanks for the thread, I need to get back to reading for pleasure.

Steve
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved reading Kon-Tiki by Thor Heyerdahl as a kid. That certainly fits into the spirit of this thread.
CW

City/Region: Kalama
Vessel Name: Satisfaction
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway (a classic read about marlin fishing, old school, not too long and worth re-visiting and oh yeah, he won the Nobel Peace Prize for Literature for it)

Sky Time In Gray's River by Robert Michael Pyle, 246 pgs. This is a personal narrative, though not about boating, but living in a rural riverine community in SW Washington where Pyle exercises his keen observation & reflection on a multitude of creatures in Nature (bats, salmon, packrats, butterflies, farmers, loggers, the bass player for Nirvana [head of the local Grange], woodcarvers, pioneers, voles, kites, the sex life of slugs...) and the timing of events of their lives with those of the people around them through the seasons. From what I've read in the C-Brats threads, this would be a BIG HIT with many of you. Pyle is the author of some 14 books, has a PHD in lepidoptory, and this book was just awarded the 2007 National Outdoor Book Award for natural history literature. He is the Rachel Carson of the new millineum. I spent three days with him learning about butterflies at Mt. Adams; he is an informed and interesting author with much to say about America, where we've been and what we're doing. C.W.

terraplane

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:01 am    Post subject: great list... Reply with quote

Well, there goes my winter reading time. If others can add to the list, I will put it together and publish the whole list..."Recommended Winter Reading from C-Dory"....

terraplane
Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:08 am    Post subject: Winter Reading - Pacific Northwest Reply with quote

A classic here in the PNW is Muriel Wylie Blanchet's "The Curve of Time". It is about her experiences exploring the waters of British Columbia with her children. After the death of her husband, she spent summers with the children on their 26' boat, cruising the east coast of Vancouver Island and the surrounding areas.

Another author that I enjoy is Ivan Doig. He wrote a historical fiction, "The Sea Runners" about a small group of indentured servants that took a cedar canoe from SE Alaska down to the Gray's Harbor area. It's an interesting read.

Also by Doig is "Winter Brothers", a book that chronicles the life of an early settler of the Port Townsend area. The journals of the settler (Swan) were used as a basis, and they by the way are in the museum at Port Townsend. Swan had a lot of interaction with the First Nations people and their cultures. Another good read.
CW

City/Region: Kalama
Vessel Name: Satisfaction
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is interesting no one has suggested River Horse by William Least Heat-Moon. (it felt like 2,000,000 pgs. ) And I agree, it is not worth the read. It felt like I was dragging that C-Dory up the Missouri right along with him. Overall, the tone and outlook was very negative, his second divorce bearing too much influence on the tone throughout.

Though I admire him for carrying out a transcontinental crossing in boats and enjoyed his description here and there of events (the loose barges at night on the Missouri, the sounds of the lock doors opening on the Columbia), I've spent a lot of time on the Snake and Columbia rivers, during the time he traveled them and since, and his experience has not been even close to mine. He complained overall of a lack of wildlife on his entire trip except for on the Salmon River. How he missed the mountain sheep, the chukar partridge, the multitude of yodeling coyotes, the mule deer, herons and the turns all along the Snake and eastern Columbia is baffling. I'd suggest next time he spend more time on the river and less time searching out the pubs. He complained bitterly about jet boats, but grudgingly admitted, he couldn't have made large portions of the trip without them. (Like the rafters I met on the Snake, all whining until one of them broke her ribs in the white water.... so who did they turn to to get her down to the hospital in Lewiston, ID ? Our jetboat. ) He derided cattle ranching, logging and energy production.... and repeated several times how energy could be created through other means.... but conveniently didn't actually spell out any alternatives. He mentioned some sign about Washington being the "clearcut State" instead of The Evergreen State ... but really, very few forests anywhere near the Columbia or Snake are clearcut, and it is solid trees from Longview to the Pacific, some 80+ miles.

And yes, of all of the little towns he described, he hated where I live the most saying Kalama was a "gritty little town" and the food so bad they'd rather hang themselves by the neck than spend one more day here....(pg. 492) ouch! Again, maybe he never got out of the bar in the restaurant (which has since changed owners & menus), but there are some great people and places he could not or was not willing to appreciate. Knowing his description of the Eerie Canal and Ohio River were also incredibly negatively slanted I bet they are likewise inaccurate.

Overall, way too long, too negative, not enough about the boating aspect of the trip (more emphasis on odd back country waitresses) and way too tiresome. That's my review and I'm sticking to it. C.W.
Chuckpacific

City/Region: SW PDX
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: Big Sky
Photos: Big Sky
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Old Man and the Sea by David Hays....this is an excellent book about a father/son journey around Cape Horn in a 25 foot sailboat.
colobear

City/Region: Denver
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2006
Photos: C-Cakes
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another vote for "The Curve of Time". My wife and I have both read it, she is now re-reading it and I will do so as well. As I write this I look over to two books from my childhood and youth: "Captain Salt in OZ" by Ruth Plumly Thompson, as the Jacket says: "founded on and continuing the famous-OZ stories by L. Frank Baum". Published in 1936 this may be hard to find but if anyone has a child or grandchild around 10-12 it is a great tale of adventure full of pirates, narwhales, talking hippos and other denizens of OZ. The second book "Peter Freunchen's Book of the Seven Seas" (1957), is another book from the days when one could be transported far away by the printed word. The jacket says "Peter Freunchen paints an exciting colorful picture of man's adventures on the sea from the first prehistoric voyages in open rafts to daring scientific explorations in bathyspheres." These books helped me develop a love of the sea and adventure in far away places (hence my travels to Nanaimo!) and are both good reads.
terraplane

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:51 am    Post subject: the list grows Reply with quote

Wow..this is really getting to be a great list. As I said, I'd be happy to put a title/author list together...is there any way to do this more economically that me copying out the list and retyping it in a message? I'm a neanderthal when it comes to these infernal machines.
marvin4239

City/Region: Jacksonville Florida/Wilmington NC
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: C-FLE II
Photos: C-FLE II
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently reading "Fatal North" by Bruce Henderson. It's and account of Charles Francis Hall's attempt to reach the North Pole. So far it's a very good book detailing the attitudes of explorers at the time. Gives details of the storms they endured and problems aboard ship with the different personalities and attitudes of the crew members. If you like History and Detective stories you'll enjoy it. Story takes place in 1871 & 1872.
Big dave

City/Region: Vancouver
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Raven Dancer
Photos: Raven Dancer
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You just can't go wrong with "The Incredible Voyage" by Tristan Jones.
What this guy did in a 22' boat "SEA DART" is truly amazing !
Big Dave.
Raven Dancer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cabin, Interior All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: