View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:35 pm    Post subject: Another recommendation... Reply with quote

For those of you who are interested in kayaking and the far north, there is a book by Victoria Jason called "Kabloona in the Yellow Kayak". It is a very interesting story about Victoria's journey across the top of Canada. Be forewarned that her writing is very negative towards a person (Don Starkell) with whom she started the trip. Victoria is now deceased, but was an interesting person to meet and talk to. She brought kayaking back into some Inuit communities, and has been lauded in WaveLength for that.

When she started the trip, she was recovering from a stroke.

It's worth the read. Kabloona is the Inuit word for stranger.

Steve
blackfish

City/Region: saltair
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: raincoast
Photos: Raincoast
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like add another one "Heart of the raincoast" by Alexandra Morton and Billy Proctor
This book is one of the main reasons my wife and I started looking at buying a larger boat which in the end lead us to our c-dory

Stories are what you need to hear.Stories about people who have spent a lifetime living and working with nature. We owe a dept of thanks to Alexandra Morton,who vividly introduces us to this man
Robert Bateman
dave

City/Region: Riverview
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Cocoon
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caliban's Shore

This is a true story of an East Indiaman ship that wrecked on the Southeast shore of Africa and what befell the castaways.
terraplane

City/Region: chesapeake bay
C-Dory Model: R-25 Tug
Vessel Name: BANJO
Photos: Sally's Sister
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:09 am    Post subject: the commentaries Reply with quote

The commentaries and reviews included here are too good to lose, so what i think is best is just to make a reference to winter reading and keep it all. How do I put this thread someplace where i can readily go to it? (sorry for my constant "lack of tech" questions.

I'm sending our local library this information because, as a service, they often publishe what is called a "reader's list" on various topics.
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: the commentaries Reply with quote

terraplane wrote:
How do I put this thread someplace where i can readily go to it?

terraplane-

The easiest way would be to go to page one of this thread and simply mark it as a favorite or bookmark on your computer.

Cheers!

Joe. Teeth

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
DaveS

City/Region: Arlington
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The subject of nautical books to read has been the subject of several discussions in the past. I've tried to locate those threads on the search engine but have been unsuccessful. If someone can find those threads it would save "re-inventing" the subject. (I'm certain that there are books on those threads that have not been mentioned above and likewise there are books mentioned on this thread that probably were not mentioned on the previous threads).

Several years ago we also had a thread that suggested titles of "must see" movies that would be of interest to our clan.

C-Brat #16
Bess-C

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Bess-C
Photos: Bess-C
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two of my favorite books are about the Inside Passage along Vancouver Island. They are both written by Jim Spilsbury, and are about his life in the first half of the 20th century. The first book is "Spilsbury's Coast" by Jim Spilsbury and Howard White. Jim was raised on Savary Island and had a radio sales and repair business that he ran out of his boat. He serviced logging camps, fishermen and others that were living and working in the areas of Desolation Sound and The Broughtons. His descriptions of the people and places give a great feel for that time and place.

The second book is "Accidental Airline", it describes how Jim started an airline during WWII. The crazy things that he did, and the cutthroat nature of the early airline business made it a great read.

I haven't checked Amazon to see the availability of these books. It may be limited. I bought them years ago on a B.C. ferry.
Lyle

17 Center Console C-Dory 10/16
Dene

City/Region: Kalama
Vessel Name: Fear Naut & Terra-Sea-Ta
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with those who don't like River Horse. Too much bitter blah..blah..blah.

One on-line adventure I've enjoyed is www.bumfuzzle.com. The ongoing saga of a young, silver spooned, married couple who decided over beer and pizza to sail the world without any experience. They did....and now they are attempting to circle the globe in an old volkwagen bus.

-Greg
Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the right side...kinda middle right side in the Heartland area... Have ordered this book and should be a nice read/guide book for those of us traveling the areas and/or the Great Loop!!

Great Loop Side Trips: 20 Cruising Adventures on Eastern North America's Waterways - by Ron & Eva Stob

Byrdman

C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 sold again.. May 2020
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hu #14 - Bought her again - May16
Aloysius, Sold to Brother Mike Mar16
Aloysius, Hull # 440 RF-246
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 Sold May09
TC24, Hull #51, Sold Feb06
CD16A, Sold Dec03
Never Deny Yourself The Pleasure of Helping Others.
anomad

City/Region: Yuma
State or Province: AZ
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile .........Hey great Post......newbie here looking to buy a 22 cruiser....Love to read...........just finished a excellant sea going story........"Sea of Gray" the around the world odessey of the Confederate Raider Shenandoah......by Tom Chaffin.....non-fiction that reads like a novell..........
ppriest

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to SteveJ for the referral to the Mowat book, The Boat That Wouldn't Float. I read it foru or five years ago and believe it's worth a reprise.

Paul
dotnmarty

City/Region: Sammamish
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: LIZZIE II
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since another recent thread spoke of ships not meant to be in "safe harbour", I thought I would suggest "The Town That Died", by Michael J. Bird. It is a non fiction account of the 1917 collision of the freighter Imo with the ammunition laden vessel Mont Blanc in the Halifax Nova Scotia harbor. The subsequent explosion killed thousands, wounded tens of thousands, and leveled much of the city. A fascinating true story.

"...we're all in the same boat..."
terraplane

City/Region: chesapeake bay
C-Dory Model: R-25 Tug
Vessel Name: BANJO
Photos: Sally's Sister
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:24 am    Post subject: previous threads Reply with quote

If someone can locate the "previous threads" mentioned before, put them up here for reference.
Last post from me on this...i've got enough reading...at least for this winter...thanks to all for responding.Where else but on the C-brat site would such a thread merit three pages of good info.
Knotty C

City/Region: Vancouver, WA
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Knotty C
Photos: Knotty C
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just finishing TRAVELS IN ALASKA BY JOHN MUIR. I have it in paperback but it can be read online or printed at:

http://www.yosemite.ca.us/john_muir_writings/travels_in_alaska/

Don
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread got me thinking about how we could have a C-Brats "virtual library". The idea is that everyone who wants to participate, bring a book they have already read to each C-brat gathering they attend. We have a meeting as a group on the dock (or restaurant) as some point during the gathering and exchange books. Maybe it could be a little like a book club - e.g. everyone says a few words about the book they brought and then we swap. I wouldn't want it to be too formal (since with this group, nothing that is "formal" actually works Laughing ). Maybe we can try something out like this on the locks cruise next week.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cabin, Interior All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: