The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

E-Tech Engine option

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FtBiggy

City/Region: Fort Myers
State or Province: FL
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:44 pm    Post subject: E-Tech Engine option Reply with quote

I am considering a new Tom cat 255 and have read some very positive reports on the E-Tech outboard and wanted to hear from you if you have them and your impressions. Also, with these being so much lighter than other manufacturers, can you increase the HP when chosing the E-Tech over Yamaha, Suzuki, etc. Thanks
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm all for lighter weight, especially in the stern. However, with less weight, I would think you could go faster with the same horsepower. The Tomcat is fast enough already, unless you want a flying wing..

I notice that Journey On starts to slow down when we add cruising weight in for the summer.

Boris
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the maximum 150 hp limit for the TC is related to the weight of the engines at all. I'm not sure how they come up with those numbers, but I'm sure a lawyer is involved somewhere!

Warren

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
Papillon

City/Region: DeBary, Fl. *On the St. John's River*
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Papillon
Photos: Papillon
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Lori Ann Posted:
I don't think the maximum 150 hp limit for the TC is related to the weight of the engines at all. I'm not sure how they come up with those numbers, but I'm sure a lawyer is involved somewhere!

The TomCat 255 is rated for Twin outboards (up to 300 Hp total) according to the C-Dory website. To exceed the HP rating becomes a insurance issue. Also it should be noted that all hulls have a "hull speed" and to exceed the hull speed will in most cases cause the boat to get a little squarely and dangerous.

With that said, I have heard of only two problems with the E-Tec engine: #1 There were reports of excess oil consumption in extreme cold waters and # 2 was that you had to stop the boat about every 20 miles and open the gas cap to let the excess gas out.

1993 Angler-02' 115 Suzuki 4 Stroke
Chester

City/Region: home
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sold to lovely couple
Photos: Chester
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Papillion, as I understand it hull speed refers to displacement operation. In the case of my 22 Cruiser it would be 5.85 knots.
To obtain hull speed you take the square root of the waterline length, in feet, and multiply it by 1.3*.
ie. waterline length = 20 ft
sqrt of 20 = 4.5
4.5x1.3=5.85 knots
Planing hulls are not limited to this speed.

* this number depends on the prismatic coefficient of the hull, among other things. 1.3 is an average.
matt_unique

City/Region: Boston
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Napoleon
Photos: Napoleon
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:58 pm    Post subject: Etec Reply with quote

The Etec 150HP HO weighs 419 lbs with a 158cc engine, the closest in weight is the Suzuki 150 at 478 lbs with the 174cc engine.

I wonder how the torque of a 2-stroke 158cc engine would compare to the torque of a 174cc 4-stroke engine....

Former owner of Napoleon (Tomcat) Hull #65 w/Counter Rotating Suzuki 150's.
JimD

City/Region: Chesterfield (James River)
State or Province: VA
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For insurance purposes, weight is the most important factor. That is, the boat should still float (won't sink Wink ) when swamped. The Coast guard likes title 33(imagine that!): http://a257.g.akamaitech.net/7/257/2422/14mar20010800/edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2002/julqtr/33cfr183.53.htm

A good explanation is here: http://www.motherearthnews.com/DIY/1988-03-01/Your-First-Boat.aspx

The capacity plate is only required by law on a boat 20 feet or less.

As to the torque, my offshore buddies tell me that they don't have to "ride" the throttle in large seas nearly as much with a 4 stroke as they do with a 2. (Not sure how scientific THAT report is Rolling Eyes )

Last edited by JimD on Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Etec Reply with quote

matt_unique wrote:
The Etec 150HP HO weighs 419 lbs with a 158cc engine, the closest in weight is the Suzuki 150 at 478 lbs with the 174cc engine.

I wonder how the torque of a 2-stroke 158cc engine would compare to the torque of a 174cc 4-stroke engine....

Geez Matt, is your Google function broken?

Evinrude ETEC 150 Specs

Suzuki 150/175 Specs

Why you worried about torque Rolling Eyes ? You gonna pull a trailer with that Tomcat?

Neither of these OB mfrs list torque, I suspect it's a pulling function for a vehicle and has a lot more to do with prop size/pitch, I'm sure Joe will chime in!! Laughing

You'll get the prize for the most questions about a boat you don't have yet! Can't wait to see what happens when you get it!

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
JimD

City/Region: Chesterfield (James River)
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

journey on wrote:
I'm all for lighter weight, especially in the stern. However, with less weight, I would think you could go faster with the same horsepower. The Tomcat is fast enough already, unless you want a flying wing..

I notice that Journey On starts to slow down when we add cruising weight in for the summer.

Boris

There is a school of thought that says it is better to have a the balance toward heavy stern...in following seas, especially with a flat bottom boat. Smile
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A small problem. If the e-tech is getting 150 hp out of 153 cc, I'm impressed. The actual number is 2600 cc (2.6 liters, since the 150 is the bottom hp for that size block.) That is 153 cubic inches.The Honda 150 is 2.2 liters.

Why can't we all go to one measurement system. It just caught my eye, since 250 cc 2-strokes in motocross are getting 40 hp (production.)

Boris
Papillon

City/Region: DeBary, Fl. *On the St. John's River*
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Papillon
Photos: Papillon
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Milehog wrote:
Quote:
Papillion, as I understand it hull speed refers to displacement operation

I may have misused the term "hull speed", I don't doubt it a minute. I do believe you are correct in your definition, however I know from experience that when you overpower a boat to much and that planning hull becomes a flying hull you won't find any insurance companys pulling out their check books.
matt_unique

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Etec Reply with quote

Captains Cat wrote:
matt_unique wrote:

Geez Matt, is your Google function broken?

Evinrude ETEC 150 Specs

Suzuki 150/175 Specs

Why you worried about torque Rolling Eyes ? You gonna pull a trailer with that Tomcat?

Neither of these OB mfrs list torque, I suspect it's a pulling function for a vehicle and has a lot more to do with prop size/pitch, I'm sure Joe will chime in!! Laughing

You'll get the prize for the most questions about a boat you don't have yet! Can't wait to see what happens when you get it!

Charlie

Ha ha, my Google function may be worn out, but definitely not broken! I've assembled an owners manual with more systems details than you can imagine.

Torque is very important to me. I will be loaded heavy with dive gear in the ocean and it will be much more comfortable to have the power to get up on plane quickly. A larger displacement engine will offer more torque, this was one of the things that led me to the Suzuki's. Suzuki has the largest displacement of any 150HP engine available.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The light Tom Cat will do 49 knots with twin 150 Suzuki's. We still get in the mid 40's with the boat fully loaded for cruising. Yes, Cats do have a limmiting top speed--that is when you begin to get airborn or too much lift under the bridge deck. The Suzuki 150 and 175 are the same block--but the HP increase is at the top speeds--again, who needs the speed over 40 knots? We usually run in the 25 to 35 speed range and the engine is still loafing. The flat bottom C Dories are more likely to become squirley at higher speeds (at least our 22 did at about 30)--the CD 25 is under powered. The Tom Cat is a planing cat--and handles the speed well. Some of the racing cats do not do as well in the chop, as there is lift develped at high speeds and they have a tendancy to become airborn.

As for "more weight in the stern" I will have to disagree with that. You may want to trim bow up--but that is different than putting more weight in the stern. Boats do better with less weights in the ends. The more weight in the ends, the more a boat is likely to "hobby horse" or pitch at displacemenet speeds. The weight in the ends, damps the rise of the stern as a wave approaches from astern. Thus you are better if the weight is more inboard.

I have gone with engines which have a good track record. I have considered the E tecs, but I am still wondering if they will get the very long lives which some of the new 4 stroke outboards are getting?

Yes, you might save 120 lbs of the E tecs over the two Suzuki's. I noted in another post, that the 7500 lb "ideal" weight and 8,000 lb Max weight of the TC 255 is unrealistic--at least for the way I cruise the boat. Ours is well over 9,000 lbs, and still very nimble--up on a plane at 25 knots from an idle in about 6 seconds. The boats seem to carry their weight very well.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
matt_unique

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:46 am    Post subject: Power! Reply with quote

journey on wrote:
A small problem. If the e-tech is getting 150 hp out of 153 cc, I'm impressed. The actual number is 2600 cc (2.6 liters, since the 150 is the bottom hp for that size block.) That is 153 cubic inches.The Honda 150 is 2.2 liters.

Why can't we all go to one measurement system. It just caught my eye, since 250 cc 2-strokes in motocross are getting 40 hp (production.)

Boris

Ha ha - typo - yes meant cu in and not cc. Now that would be some impressive engineering!
Chester

City/Region: home
Vessel Name: Sold to lovely couple
Photos: Chester
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Papillon wrote:
Milehog wrote:
Quote:
Papillion, as I understand it hull speed refers to displacement operation

I may have misused the term "hull speed", I don't doubt it a minute. I do believe you are correct in your definition, however I know from experience that when you overpower a boat to much and that planning hull becomes a flying hull you won't find any insurance companys pulling out their check books.

Ah yes, understood, and I agree.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: