Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey macmac, thanks for being a part of this forum. As you can see, many of us have your products, many love them and many, well lets say, don't. You can help with that last part, an interactive factory rep means a lot to us.

Keep in touch. BTW, I love my Wallas!

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
1TUBERIDER

City/Region: Crescent City
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Joe

What heater would work on the jet ski? javascript:emoticon('Laughing')

Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1TUBERIDER wrote:
Hey Joe

What heater would work on the jet ski? javascript:emoticon('Laughing')

1TUBERIDER:

It depends on where you are and how cold it is:

Moderately Cold- 3/16" Neoprene wet suit with boots, gloves and hood.

Very Cold- Dry suit with gloves, boots, goggles, Ben Gay on your backside, and a couple of Jon-e hand warmers under your armpits.

Extremely Cold-Just buy an airline ticket to somewhere in the Caribbean and take a very friendly warm woman with you!

Cheers!

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Socrateur

City/Region: Danville
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Skipper
Photos: Sea Skipper
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For your reference, here is a photo of the secondary heater in Sea Skipper. It is Taylor’s pressurized kerosene heater, no electric power required - utilizes 1” flue. Fan mounted aft of flue can be aimed to direct a warm blast of air clear across the forward windows for demisting.

T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my Wallas. Surprisingly, even on somewhat cold nights (about 15 degrees) it stays pretty darn warm in my CD22, but a half ways decent sleeping bag is a must. Actually, come to think of it, I've spent a few of them sleeping in it when it is that cold out in the early and late shoulder season. I have tented it before in those temperatures and I would say that the Wallas keeps the cabin in the low 60s. If there is any sun at all, it will even actually get uncomfortably warm in the boat with it running wide open if all the windows are closed and it is in the 20s-30s like it has been for the Homer King Salmon Derby. If the temps are in the high 40s and 50s the stove is normally only on the medium low setting. When it is in the 20s and 30s for winter king fishing I run it wide open or just below while we troll for winter kings. If it is too much colder than the teens, go to the bar and drink something warm Smile
Dene

City/Region: Kalama
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: Fear Naut & Terra-Sea-Ta
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some cheaper options for heat.

Last weekend, I spent the night on my 22' boat, awakening to 35 degrees Sunday morning. I was quite comfortable with my newly purchased $12 12v electric blanket. When I awoke, I used the Coleman ProCat to warm the cabin while I searched the town for coffee. When I got back, the cabin was quite toasty.

I've also used this heater with success while underway. The only problem is that it's wet heat, which is why I'm testing a $30 400/800 watt quartz infared heater on my next outing, using it in conjunction with my new 1500 watt inverter.

Back to the 12v electric blanket. Our trawler has a Aspar diesel heater and a West Marine ceramic heater (if on shore power). The problem with these two systems is the cycling on and off through the night. Staying warm with an electric blanket allows us to enjoy the sweet sound of stillness through the night. I prefer that to a warm cabin. First one up, turns the cabin heat on.

-Greg
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to caution about using unvented space heaters (even catalytic) in enclosed spaces. Consumer Product safety commission (US government agency) has done a good study on the 3000 BTU catalytic heater. They cite at least one death attributed to this heater.

Basically if the area does not have 150% turn over of the volume of air in the space during each hour, there is risk of CO poisoning. Their studies were done on 100 cu feet enclosure and regular sampling. The CO almost immediately went to 68 PPM (Parts per million). The Oxygen was depleated from 20.9% to 8.8% over the 6.5 hour life of the propane bottle. This means that the CO problem is compoiunded by low oxygen, and there is increased risk of brain damage.

One has to have an adequate CO detector (we use two--one by the head of the skipper and one by the bunk). A good alternative is the Kiddie nighthawk 900-0146 (3 AA batteries with an LCD readout, which begins at 30 PPM). The best is the Aero medix 1070 or most recent model, which reads and alarms at 10 ppm. Any of these need to be replaced on a regular basis--2 to 5 years is the life span. There are test kits available to check the sensitivity.

At 50 PPM this is the maximum level allowed by OSHA for continous work in a marine environment. Household requrements are evacuation of the level is chronicallya above 69 PPM. The carbon monoxide will continue to build up in the blood, and disassociates from the hemoblobin very poorly--it takes many hours. When there are high levels of CO in the hemoglobin, the oxygen levels are lowered.

If (and I wound use any catalytic or open flame heater) you use one, you need to have adequate ventillation; this means that the air is replaced 1.5 x in each our. These heaters are made for tents or shacks which have ventillation--not for enclosed boats--even though they are used there.

Be very careful!

Previous discussions are at: http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=8306

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Dene

City/Region: Kalama
Vessel Name: Fear Naut & Terra-Sea-Ta
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said Bob. I have a CO sniffer which went off while I was gone. I vented the cabin and never had a problem again. I'm not worried while underway. There is plenty of unintentional ventilation. Also, we've only used it for short bursts.

Nonetheless, it's one more reason why I'm anxious to try out the 400 watt quartz, quiet heater.

-Greg
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "silent killer" correct, Bob? I've been to only one case in the field and that was due to the homeowner using charcoal to heat a house. Shocked But I've heard of other cases where normal home heating systems malfunctioned, killing the resident(s). Spooky. I've used a catalytic heater in our VW camper, but I made sure our screen vents on the poptop were open. We also used it on my brother's sailboat too, but made sure we had adequate ventilation to replace the air.
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If i were going to use a catalytic propane heater in an enclosed cain boat, I'd add two small 12 volt computer fans placed so that the ambient wind outside could not defeat their purpose.

One would be an entry port fan, the other an exit port fan.

You can calculate 1.) the cabin volume and, 2.) the air moved by the fans, to be sure you're in the safe volume/replacement ratio or %age, which are mentioned in the referenced thread by Bob.

Also, of course, the carbon monoxide monitor(s) woud be a must.

The small computer fans take negligible current (.15-.25 amps, or 1.5-2.5 Ah over a 10 hour period), so battery drain would be insignificant.

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the silent, and often mysterious killer. Of course I saw the most cases of CO poisoning, when I was working in charity type of hospitals--where we had unknowns off the street or highway. Of course lab tests are much better now than 50 years ago, but often it was a person who was unconscious with no history. In several cases we were able to trace it down to a car with a leaky muffler. CO used to be in vogue for suicide--when I was a teen one of the neighbors died that way in his garage.
macmac

City/Region: Seattle
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:34 pm    Post subject: Ventilation and propane Reply with quote

Please take great care when considering the use of propane in your boat. If you want to make sure there is sufficient ventilation, that is an excellent plan, but also make sure that any kind of active or powered fans used to aid in ventilation are spark-arrested fans. To the best of our knowledge, computer fans are not required to be spark arrested and therefore may or may not be.

Computer fans are an excellent source for inexpensive, efficient air motion in diesel powered boats not using explosive fuels. They can be very helpful in moving air to keep boats dry and comfortable.

Our opinion is that accidents happen when products designed for use outside the marine industry are pressed into casual use without complete consideration of their interactive problems. Be sure to do what is necessary to handle any fuels and fuel powered products you employ safely, carefully and as their design intended.
DaveS

City/Region: Arlington
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
CO used to be in vogue for suicide--when I was a teen one of the neighbors died that way in his garage.

Over the 31 years that I've been involved in emergency medical services I've been called in on quite a number of attempted and successful suicidal individuals. Most of them have been simple and with not too much planning involved, however on one occasion the fella employed a fairly intricate system in his car to introduce the deadly gas into the passenger compartment. Additionally, I've been involved in a number of accidental CO poisonings, to include kids riding in the canopy covered back of a pickup truck, and generators that were operated in enclosed garages following power outages. We transport our CO saturated patients to Virginia Mason Hospital in Seattle for treatment in their hyperbaric chamber. (Hyperbaric Chamber therapy gives the ability to provide Oxygen to all parts of the body in amounts greater than possible under normal conditions. 100% Oxygen is given to the patient under increased atmospheric pressure). Recently there have been discussions in the medical community regarding the efficacy of HBO (hyperbaric oxygen) in the treatment of CO poisoning, but our focus in the field is to see that these patients reach the appropriate facility where the medical experts can direct the patient to the most appropriate care modality.

Since the title of this thread addresses heat sources for our comfortable little cruising boats, we obviously need to choose wisely and install properly these sources of heat so folks like Dr. Bob and myself don't need to intervene on your behalf when the procurement of heat becomes deadly....and don't forget to install your heating appliance in a manner so those of us that "wear firehats" as well don't have to extinguish your blaze.. Wink .

C-Brat #16
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cabin, Interior All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: