The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Cockpit seating ideas
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John- We discussed your project above and entered the photos Mark (3rd Byte) had of them here:

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=CockpitandAccessories&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

Hee's a link to that discussion:

http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=1652

Nice work, and nice having you back!

Joe

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, this is probably a really stupid question, but remember my frame of reference (I'm a sailor-boy and our CD-25 on order will be our first powerboat). Sailboats always have seating all around the cockpit; great storage under, as well. You don't see this on powerboats. Why not? Now, I realize that it would be in the way for fishing, but what about the many folks here who just cruise? Wouldn't seating around the sides of the cockpit be advantageous for cruiser-folk?

I appreciate the use of camp chairs (on and off the boat); just wondering why no permanent bench-type seating? I will be quiet now so my "education" can continue. Thanks in advance for your response.

Best wishes,
Jim & Joan

Sea Wolf

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim-

Darn good question, and one I've never thought about before!

I think you're right about the need in fishing to be able to walk right up to the gunnels as being the major factor in ruling out side cockpoit seats in powerboats.

Sailboats because of their narrower nature, the need to sit away from the spray landing forward in heavy weather, and the typical forward trunk / cabin placement all lead themselves toward placing cockpit seating on the sides.

The stern differences between the two boats also enters into the equation.

On a sailboat, the back end of the cockpit has need to incorporate the tiller or wheel and room to operate it, but the area around it can easily be turned into bench seating.

On a powerboat, at least with an outboard, besides the fishing access issue, there's need to be able to get to the motor(s), controls, and things like gas tanks and batteries which are placed in the strern.

Moreover. there's a need in a fishing boat to have a live well, bait cutting board and rigging area, and finally rod storage area in the front, and room on the floor to place netted fish, etc. Looks like we need a large, flat, open area here!

But that doesn't mean you can't have those bench seats in at least the sides of the cockpit in your powerboat if they fit with your plans.

They could be enclosed and permanent like a sailboat, but I would make them fairly easily removable so that when I later decided to change boats the boat would still be easily converted to full fishing use.

Joe.
Sneaks

City/Region: San Diego (Encinitas)
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Brat
Photos: Jenny B and C-Brat
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JamesTXSD wrote:
Sailboats always have seating all around the cockpit; great storage under, as well. You don't see this on powerboats. Why not?

It's the BS factor, James. Folks like to sit around the helm and tell sea stories while critiquing the skipper underway. Laughing Power boats have plenty of seating around the helm and so do the blow boats. Plus the helmsman would be a lonely guy/gal in a C-Dory if everybody else sat around the stern.

There's probably a more reasonable answer but that's my take. Wink

Don
JamesTXSD

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

<<It's the BS factor, James. Folks like to sit around the helm and tell sea stories while critiquing the skipper underway.>>

We spent the day on our small sailboat today, a 17.5' catboat. Even that boat has room to stretch out in the cockpit. I'm not one to make major changes to an outstanding design (like the C-Dory) - we are anxious to see how we will use the CD-25 and see what works for us. When I opened the lazarette to pull out the fenders as we got close to home today, I looked at all that great storage space... PFDs, boat hook, third anchor, paddle, dock lines, can-o-pee (yeah), etc, etc. Out of sight and out of the weather. With closed cell foam cushions, it is downright cushy on those seats (room to lay down, forward/aft and athwartships)... makes me think.

Best wishes,
Jim & Joan
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James put down the saw and the marine grade plywood and back away from the NEW boat.!!!! Smile

I think the ablitiy to fish is the main reason you do not see wrap around seating on these types of boats. ski boats and big cruiser-only type boats do have a lot of seating and storage.

JamesTXSD

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes Very Happy Not to worry, Tom. I am the "idea" man; Joan would never let me near the boat with any kind of cutting tool.* On our first boat years ago, it took me a LONG time to psyche myself up enough to drill that first hole!

We are still trying to figure out where we are going to put our stuff in that new 25... so we can take it all with us when we get away from it all! Wink

Best wishes,
Jim & Joan

* I have to do it when she isn't looking!
Papillon

City/Region: DeBary, Fl. *On the St. John's River*
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Papillon
Photos: Papillon
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With my love of power tools and considering the
modifications I have made to my C-Dory, I am rethinking
the name....maybe Swiss-C (heese)

1993 Angler-02' 115 Suzuki 4 Stroke
drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim and Joan - there are some pics on the cockpit modification line here of removable benches across the aft cockpit of 22's. It should not be difficult to make a slide-in, hinged type thing running along the sides and maybe you could make one with the dual use as a ramp to the beach.

I think the sailboat cushions stem from several key things: 1- you have to sit back there to steer the boat and handle the sails. 1- you have to be able to to that from both sides due to varying visability, etc, from the different tacks, 3- the displacement sail hull gets shallow and there is not much of an even, walkable floor plane available.

The flat aft section of the C-Dory provides maximum, flat, aft real estate which is coveted in fishing, crabbing, diving, crowded situations. You can put whatever you want back there, but I think most ppl will want to split their time from visiting with the helm, to lounging in the cockpit.

Not related.... I have a son living in Houston now and am anticipating taking my new C-Ranger down there sometime in the next year. I have not sailed Galveston area for decades, so am rusty on the layout. Is it a long way offshore to suitable fishing? Is it still really shallow for a long way out?

thanks, John

Capt'n Bill

City/Region: Big Island
State or Province: HI
C-Dory Year: 1994
Vessel Name: Malia Kai
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:53 am    Post subject: Love Those Seats Reply with quote

I've seen those detachable fold-up seats that are seen mounted on the bulkheads here. Was wondering whether or not they could be attached to the sides of the cockpit, below the gunwales. I think that they would make great little removable fighting chairs, especially with the gimballs attached, for landing those big Ahi, Ono, or Marlin!!!
C-Gypsy

City/Region: Oriental
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: C-Gypsy
Photos: C-Gypsy
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim, if you figure out where to put everything on your C-Dory PLEASE let me know. I was telling a friend of mine a week ago about all the goodies I am going to take off my Nor'Sea 27 sailboat and put on my new 22 cruiser.

Right in the middle of my daydreaming my friend said "Where are you planning to put all that stuff?".

Totally blew my mind and my ego.

Looking back I believe his question was totally out of line & almost rude!

I may have to keep the Nor'Sea and use her for a storage shed. Sad
JamesTXSD

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sea Gypsy wrote:
Jim, if you figure out where to put everything on your C-Dory PLEASE let me know. I was telling a friend of mine a week ago about all the goodies I am going to take off my Nor'Sea 27 sailboat and put on my new 22 cruiser.

Right in the middle of my daydreaming my friend said "Where are you planning to put all that stuff?"...

Sea Gypsy, I feel your pain! I wrote to El and Bill a while back and asked "where do you put your stuff?" The answer I got wasn't what I wanted to hear: "... think minimal; take less stuff." I guess we will plan to boat in areas where less clothing is required. Wink I'm thinking: extra anchors, stores, where does that canvas go when it isn't on the cockpit, fenders, foulies, and just personal stuff??? I'll let you know as we get moved in.

In the meantime, your Nor'sea 27 is a great sailboat - great cruising for two. I'm guessing it would REALLY cut the mileage on your C-Dory to tow that behind it! Rolling Eyes Those of us who have had room to take what we want (even though we kept the tri light) may have to start another thread on just this subject. Let me know what works for you, too.

Best wishes,
Jim B.
Sea Wolf

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

James and Sea Gypsy-

One way to quickly add some storage space if yolu're not carrying a blown up inflatoble or a couple of kayacks on the roof would be to add one of those X-Cargo type roof boxes designed for cars. They're squarish but rounded on the corners, and wouldn't look much different than a dinghy up there.

I'd keep the lighter stuff in one, not the anchors or motor for the inflatable.

Could add several cubic feet of storage space to your C-Dory very easily.

Being plastic, and if filled with non-metalic stuff, they probably wouldn't interfere with the radar, if you have one not mounted high enough to see over the box.

Joe.
SeaSpray

City/Region: Brentwood, CA
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: SeaSpray
Photos: SeaSpray
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sea Gypsy,
Nice looking NorSea! That is a boat I lusted after for many years.

Steve
drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Relating to extra anchor storage - I think it was on the old C-DOG site, but there were some pics of aft anchor installations in the motorwell area that held it solidly and also the chain and rope. John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: