The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Cockpit seating ideas
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
C-Trial

City/Region: St Helens
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Trial
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 9:13 pm    Post subject: Cockpit seating ideas Reply with quote

Greetings, all...

I'm interested in comfortable cockpit seating while underway or while fishing. True, opne could pull up a cooler with a padded top, but what would be more interesting would be comfrortable padded seats with a back (you know, the fold down back variety--you see them at West Marine or Boaters World--usually in white or cream vinyl). In my dream these such seats mount on one side to a custom fabricated bracket that is bolted to fiberglass near the side pocket of the cockpit and the other side of the seat: choose one is (a) mounted to sky hooks that magically support the side nearest the cabin door [just a joke; I am not really sniffing Sta-bil], or (b) support the cabin door side of the seat with a bar that runs to the floor--probably back at an angle (think of the seat support in cross-section as being like the figure " 7 "). Imagine perching a cushy folding-backed boat seat on top of the " 7 ". Now afix the beginning point of the " 7 " to a detachable bracket on the side of the cockpit. Being detachable is important so that the seating can be stowed forward or removed from the boat altogether on days where cockpit seating is not necessary. I've seen factory installations in Bayliner cockpits that come to mind in 1999 era 2452's.

But I'll bet enterprising souls on this bulletin board have come up with all manner of great cockpit seating. Can you direct me to old threads or offer some guidance of how you solved this problem of cockpit seating for yourself.

Thanks!

John on C-Trial
Jammin

City/Region: Tucson
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Jammin
Photos: Jammin
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We bought two aluminum framed MacAbee chairs at Costco in Cabo. They are very sturdy comfortable chairs. I like them better than the West Marine aluminum deck chair we've had for years. They fold into a smaller package. I bought two more at the Costco in Concord Ca. the other day. $14.99

Dennis

C-Hawk

City/Region: Carpinteria / Channel Islands
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: C-Hawk
Photos: C-Hawk
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dito on the MacAbee chairs.
KJ6VVB
A Brat I am, At sea I be
God is Great, Beer is Good.... and People are Crazy
C-Trial

City/Region: St Helens
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: C-Trial
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, guys, I'll go to Costco and check it out.

John on C-Trial
CheckRaise

City/Region: Kingston, WA
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: CheckRaise
Photos: CheckRaise
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought this a particularly good idea for a padded cooler.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000AZ7MJ/002-0367551-0821633

Last edited by CheckRaise on Sun Dec 12, 2004 7:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you mean some thing like this. I saw this on a album a while back and just spent two hours looking for it.
Chuck S

City/Region: Cleveland
State or Province: OH
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Amelia Anne
Photos: Amelia Anne
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need a couple of seats like this for our lil 16 Cruiser.

Any details? Source?

-- Chuck
Work Release

City/Region: Everett, Wa.
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Work Release
Photos: Work Release
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Chuck,
Here is some info on the boat seat picture shown above. The seat is manufactured by Garelick and can be found at garlick.com under marine products / boat seats item #48099. I was looking for a seat that could be stowed away when more room is needed for fishing/crabbing or when the weather is bad. This seat can be stowed under the stove cabinet and still leave room for my slide out storage racks. There are other pictures in Work Release's photo album. I bought the seat through Boaters world and they offer two versions Cat.# 166481101 with Gimbal $ 133.00 and one without Cat. # 166481093 $ 125.00 which I ordered. Let me know if you any questions.
Jim, Work Release
Chuck S

City/Region: Cleveland
State or Province: OH
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Amelia Anne
Photos: Amelia Anne
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I've seen photos of this seat before, just never realized it may fit in my lil cockpit.

I've downloaded your two detail photos for winter long reference.

-- Chuck
MOOSE

City/Region: Rainy Lake - Int'l. Falls
State or Province: MN
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: MOOSE
Photos: MOOSE
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The folding Garelick seat seems like a great idea. However, might there be a way to mount it on the portside bulkhead of the cockpit rather than the starboard? The reason would be simply to balance the load with one person at the helm and one person sitting in the cockpit. Obviously the open cabin door gets in the way, but perhaps one could pop rivet another door hook to the side of the seat to hold the door firmly in a partially open position? Also, what is the purpose of the optional gimbal offered with this seat; no description is provided?
Al
capneo

City/Region: san juan capistrano
State or Province: CA
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gathering ideas for my future boat...
Any thoughts on putting a bench seat IN the motorwell? I've thought about it and if it wouldn't be too high, and if the back were removable to make room for engine-up, it could be a good use of space. Possibly a bit of storage under, and would be an "anti-pooping device". Too crazy? Thanks in advance for any thoughts.
MOOSE

City/Region: Rainy Lake - Int'l. Falls
State or Province: MN
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: MOOSE
Photos: MOOSE
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion, Work Release's idea is the best. As a post script, I installed one each of the Garelick seats on the port and starboard side of the cabin bulkhead. Mostly they remain in place, but are easily removable, and actually offer an intermediate step-down from the gunwale onto the cockpit floor. The portside seat was fitted with a hook to keep the door at a respectable distance when open. Check out the photos in the MOOSE album. I think it is one of the best modifications we made for the space that they consume.
Al

Chris Bulovsky

City/Region: Washburn
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 1998
Vessel Name: SCOUT
Photos: SCOUT
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the looks of those jump seats that fold down but couldn't justify it for my boat. My pals (all four of them) like the cheap folding chairs. Plus most of those chairs provide a place to put your favorite Wisconsin drink. Wink Its also nice to have folding chairs with when you want to spend time on the beach. So they are dual purpose for me.

Chris
Papillon

City/Region: DeBary, Fl. *On the St. John's River*
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Papillon
Photos: Papillon
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When it comes to outfitting a boat, everyone has his or her needs and they will never be the same as the other guys. There is no right or wrong to it, just different depending on how you wish to use your boat. I have always researched these and other files to see what others have done and tried to pick all the best ideas from the thousands I have seen that will do the job for me. In this case I was looking to put a cockpit table since I have an 22 Angler and two pedestal seat forward I was short a place to set back an enjoy a nice lunch on the "Papillon" until I found the Side Gunwale Utility Seat shown above. The old light bulb went off and the picture below shows the result of removing the padded seat and adding a table top. I also needed to make an adjustment in the legs so I use bimi top rail mounts with the set screw so I could keep the outfit in perfect pitch and later if I decide I want to use the frame for a seat again, it will all go back together with no damage. Check my photo album for additional pictures of more seating on the Angler.

1993 Angler-02' 115 Suzuki 4 Stroke
Yellowstone

City/Region: White Sulphur Springs
State or Province: MT
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Vessel Name: Farwest II
Photos: Farwest III
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:51 am    Post subject: cockpit seating ideas Reply with quote

Al's seating on the Moose is about as good as it gets - choices to sit port or starboard. On my first c-dory I chose a different system for seating - a boarding plank of wood with foam core that straddled the side pockets. Use it as a bench seat, or as a narrow but long table. 3-M self adhesive patches stuck to top side makes for non slip walking. Store it on the roof top (either side) by bungee cords to get it out of the cockpit. Very handy for getting on shore. Hang off bow, side, or aft cleats. When it gets muddy, drop it overboard and scrub the mud off with a plain old bristle brush stored in pocket. Inexpensive to make (unless you use real teak veneer ) and quite useful.

Yellowstone

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: