View previous topic :: View next topic  
Capn Jack

City/Region: La Conner
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1988
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Pocket Yacht
Photos: Pocket Yacht
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:41 am    Post subject: Interior Paint Reply with quote

I want to paint the inside of my "Angler" and I'm looking for suggestions...

What kind of paint has been found that will stick to the fibreglass and has some kind of mold inhibiters in it? I have just spent over 2 hours (in the fetal position) Crook scrubbing mold off of the interior and I don't want to do it again. Smile
Ron on Meander

City/Region: Powell River
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Meander
Photos: Meander
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't help much with paint that has mold inhibiters, but when I painted over the Mascoat Insulating paint that is sprayed on last spring, Mascoat recommended a good quality latex acrylic paint. I just purchased the top brand that my local big box had and it worked very well so far. When on easily and seems pretty durable in the six or so months its been in use.
Ron
MikeMac

City/Region: Stafford
State or Province: TX
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Photos: MikeMac
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:30 pm    Post subject: Paint Reply with quote

Happy Thanksgiving Captain Jack,
If your boat has the factory spattered-epoxy paint finish on the interior I'd think a bit before I'd cover it with new paint. That stuff is pretty bulletproof and lasts a good long time. My Classic is 23 years old and the epoxy paint still cleans up just fine. Are you sure you don't have a ventilation problem instead of a paint problem? Mold usually suggests poor ventilation. Of course if your heart is set on new paint, have at it!

Mike
Capn Jack

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike,

The reason I wanted to paint it is, the boat was pretty moldy when I got it and the "Spatter epoxy" color will make it hard to tell if it's starting again. Besides it being such a small area,I thought white walls would help brighten things up a little.

Jack
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capn Jack

MikeMac's comments kind of echo mine. I'd never paint the Zolatone paint that hides imperfections in the hull lay-up and ding marks.

I might suggest you find a mold inhibitor chemical and wipe the boat down with that, leaving some on the walls, after washing the mold away throughly.

You can never get rid of all the mold spores, so you'll have to keep the interior dry for the most part anyway.

Instead of a mold inhibitor, you could use a Lysol (or similar) disinfectant spray, leaving a generous amount on the surface to dry and inhibit/kill any future mold growth.

Hope this helps!

Joe. Teeth

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
MikeMac

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:46 pm    Post subject: Thanks Joe! Reply with quote

Happy Thanksgiving Joe,
Zolatone! Thanks Joe, I never knew what that stuff was called. I seem to remember it coating the concrete block wall interiors of the boys bathrooms in my elementary school. Maybe the girls were nicer, I never looked.

Mike
Sea Wolf

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MIKE-

Zolatone is great stuff! Very hard and durable! Not cheap, though!

It's a mixture of two different paints that won't mix or blend, like water and oil won't mix, or are not solvent in each other.

They pour equal amounts of each in a pressure pot for spraying. Then stir them. They then look marbelized. If you've ever tried to mix an oil based enamel with a lacquer, you'd have gotten the same looking result. More stirring equals a finer mixture and particles. The pressure pot then is used to deliver the mixed paint to the spray gun thence to the surface sprayed. Looks splattered and multi-colored.

I think the formulation of Zolatone has changed because of environmental laws. Most all their finishes now are fine splattered two colored. On my older '87 CD-22 CRuiser, the pattern is slung in long blue filaments over a predominately white background. I don't see that type of pattern available in todays selection of Zolatone paints.

Cleaning up the spray gun, hoses, and pressure pot used to be a very difficult job because of the two different solvents required to cut the different paints involved. It may be simpler now. It's the volatile solvents released in spraying that the environmental regulations are trying to eiminate.

Sorry for the long speel!

Joe. Teeth
Capn Jack

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:22 pm    Post subject: Thanks Everyone Reply with quote

Thanks Everyone, Thumbs Up

Thanks for the input. I hadn't thought about covering up any possible problems in the hull. I used Clorox Tub & Tile cleaner, a scrub brush and warm water to clean everything. They also worked great for cleaning the anti-slip in the cockpit. When I finish I'll give all of the verticle surfaces and the "cabin" interrior a spray of Lysole as you suggested. Wink
lloyds

City/Region: sublimity
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
Vessel Name: undecided
Photos: 1996 22 Cruiser (Lloyds)
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the paint they use on the cockpit floors. Mine is bluish grey and is chipping off in several spots.
Papillon

City/Region: DeBary, Fl. *On the St. John's River*
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Papillon
Photos: Papillon
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you decide to paint the interior you can ask your paint supplier to add mildecide to the paint and mix it up for your. Mildecide is available at most paint supply stores I have ever used. Welcome to the C-Dory Rain Forest.....or V-Berth as it's better known as.

Also don't forget to take your cushions out and steam clean them and spray them with lyscol as well....like someone has already mentioned....those spores are everywhere.

1993 Angler-02' 115 Suzuki 4 Stroke
Capn Jack

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike,

Love your .gif. Thumbs Up They're a lot of fun. I use Ulead and PhotoShop on photographs of mine and my friends boats.

Jack
MikeMac

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:53 am    Post subject: Bleach Reply with quote

Hi Jack,
Here on the Gulf coast stuff will mold while you look at it. If your mold returns you can get rid of it with a bit of liquid fire (bleach). Mix up a plastic spray bottle with about 20% bleach and 80% water. Spray the affected area, wait a few minutes to let the bleach do the work, and them wipe down with a wet sponge. It's cheap and works great.

I spray down the shower walls at home a few minutes before I take a shower and then wipe them down when I'm finished and it's a lot easier than getting after it with a cleaner. Around here we also bleach our houses every few years. Spray on the mixture with a garden sprayer, or hose-end sprayer, and then wash down with a hose or a pressure washer. It's a lot easier than new paint on a house.

Joe,
Thanks for the information on Zolatone. It almost makes want to find something to paint!

Mike
Sea Wolf

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Bleach Reply with quote

MikeMac wrote:

Joe,
Thanks for the information on Zolatone. It almost makes want to find something to paint!

Mike

You're welcome!

I just love to try to explain technical things throughly so no one can misunderstand them.

I guess you can take the old teacher out of the classroom, but you can't take the classroom out of the old teacher!

Cheers!

Joe. Teeth
alaskamari

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1983
Vessel Name: XerxSeas
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 4:03 am    Post subject: better options than zolatone? Reply with quote

Ok, so we just got our 1983 C-dory and I have to say I don't want the interior to look like someone blew their nose on it after paving. That said, I'm looking for more styley options for interior paint.

What I've found so far on the c-brats posts here ranges from specialized marine products (spendy) to Lowes on sale at $11.99 per gallon. I'm curious how these options have held up over the years.

We live in AK and so far haven't really had too many problems with condensation and no mold we've noticed. I am concerned about using toxic products because of our toddler and the possibility for one more kid at some point. As in most ventures in style we will exchange some toxicity for exquisite beauty...

Thoughts from anyone are welcome! Thanks in advance for the help!
mcc272

City/Region: Long Island Sound
State or Province: CT
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: C-Star
Photos: C-Star
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just finished painting the interior of my CD22 which had lots of stains I could not remove after trying a whole bunch of solvents. I used Interlux Brightside, a 1 part epoxy paint which I have used on other boats with great results. I lightly sanded the Decraguard and applied it over the fiberglas interior as well. Use a respirator. I used white and it came out very nicely. It makes the boat look a whole lot brighter and bigger and we are very pleased.
North Star, 2011 Rosborough RF-246
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cabin, Interior All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: