View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rock-C

City/Region: Salem
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1988
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Rock-C
Photos: Rock-C
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 6:48 pm    Post subject: Force 10 Cozy Cabin Diesel/Kerosene Heater Reply with quote

I know a few Brats are using the Force 10 propane heaters. Has any one seen one of the diesel units in action? The next problem is finding room to mount it.
These start around $300. then you need a pressurized tank and exhaust stack.
The alcohol stove seems to work ok for cooking, but we need some cabin heat.

Billy

City/Region: Chugiak
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1990
Vessel Name: Beer:thirty
Photos: Beer:Thirty
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 3:35 am    Post subject: Force 10 heaters Reply with quote

Rock-c,
I removed my Wallace and replaced it with a propane cook top and propane Force 10 and I'm very happy. The stove heat is instantaneous and odor free and the heater is plenty for even the Alaskan waters I ply. The down sides are that a by product of propane combustion is water vapor and you know what happens to that in a boat. The Force 10 vents outside so there is no added condensation from that and the condensate from the stove is minimal. We get most of the water vapor from the foods we cook and you'll get that with any stove. Propane is also heavier than air and that is a consideration in boats. I installed a propane detector at floor level and a CO detector in the V berth, both are sensitive enough to alarm when you still have plenty of time to deal with the problem. I posted a few pictures in Cabin Interiors if you'd like to see what I did. I think the pic #'s are 102,103 and 104. Hope this helps.
Bill
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy- Nice job on the heater installation!!! I see you moved the sink to accommodate the stove and heater positioning. Looks like a very functional set up. And it looks great too!

Just a couple of questions- How long is your exhaust pipe on the Force Ten? How much above the roof does it extend? Does the propane locker vent overboard through a tube?

If the moisture from the cooking stove is a problem, a vent can be installed above the stove, either fan powered or unassisted.

I tried to rotate the first photo, but it won't do it, so Da Nag Bill will have to do the deed.

Again, congratulations on a great project! Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Billy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 4:02 pm    Post subject: Force 10 heaters Reply with quote

Sea Wolf,
The total length of the heater exhaust is only about 16" and extends thru the top only about 1". The exhaust cap that comes with the Force 10 is about 3" and is hardly noticeable. Someone else on the site installed theirs with what looks like about 1" of teak under the exhaust cap and I would like to copy that idea. Very dressy look to it. The other idea I had was to extend the galley area by putting a counter top on the back of the Captains seat. When folded down it would provide much needed additional working room. I'll post pictures when it's done.
I did not vent the propane locker overboard which could be (I think) the only weak spot in the installation. You will see the vent holes at the bottom of the locker. They vent into the cockpit area with no additional ventilation. While propane can collect in low areas, it dissipates rapidly in moving air which is the norm for this area. I have tried to minimize any risk with the propane leak detector and a good "pre-flight" before each trip. The propane connections are checked right after the plug goes in.
The condensation is not really a problem for us, we just open a window when we cook and I really don't want to put another pneumonia hole in the Beer:Thirty.
I work on orienting my next photos better.
Bill
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy- Thanks for the reply! I think the teak wood under the exhaust cap you're referring to is on my boat. It's a teak winch pad (for the winches on sailboats) available at West Marine, among others. It's beveled 15 degrees to help offset the angle on the roof. There's actually one on the outside and one on the inside too, to help change the angled roof to more of a horizontal surface through which to bend the tube.

The reason I asked you about your total exhaust pipe length, is that Force 10 recommends a minimum of 24" of pipe to get a good draft going. I think I've only got about 17", and can smell traces of exhaust gases when the heater is on high. Steve Rego, the Force 10 Technical Rep., says 24' is the absolute minimum with 30-36" being better. Just thought I'd share that with you, in case you have the same problem. I'm going to extend mine when I have the boat home for a while next month. Good luck with everything! Joe.
Billy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 5:13 pm    Post subject: Force 10 heaters Reply with quote

Sea Wolf Joe,

I'm going to steal your idea on the teak for sure,(beautiful installation, very dressy) but will credit you whenever asked. Thanks for the heads up on the exhaust length!!! I didn't see anything in the installation directions to that affect. I've not had any problems that I noticed but I'll pay close attention next time I use it. I would need to double my exhaust length? Wow, that will make for an interesting installation, let me know if you come up with a good looking solution, I'll do the same.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cabin, Interior All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: