View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:07 am    Post subject: CD16 Fuel Economy & Cruising Range Reply with quote

OK, Crabby Lou, our CD16 Angler, had a 6 gallon metal gas tank when we bought it. I switched that out for a 12 gallon plastic tank right out of the chute. On the recent Snohomish River cruise, we used 7 gallons over 39 statute miles, or ~5.5 smpg, with the 1991 oil injected Johnson 40 hp two stroke. Marty on Lizzy, a CD16 Cruiser, reported that he had used 6 gallons for the same cruise, and I ascribe the difference to the efficiency edge of the newer four stroke engines. This kind of makes me nervous about our range, and I am wondering how much gas most folks carry on their CD16s and what they consider their range to be with some reasonable reserve. I really don't have room under the motor well for another gas tank, since the battery, oil reservoir, kicker tank and main tank all live there now. I wonder if I would be better off taking the kicker off and sticking another 12 gallon tank in...if this were a new Honda 40 I might do that, but it just seems prudent to keep the kicker on with a 16 or 17 year old main outboard...thoughts?

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

dotnmarty

City/Region: Sammamish
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: LIZZIE II
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The longest trip I've taken on the 16 was from Everett to Coupeville and back, probably 70 miles round trip. On that trip I carried 18 gallons in 3- 6 gallon tanks, two stored under the motor well and one behind the Garelick steps. I don't think we used any from the third tank on that trip. Also, I dont think there is any reason why you can't hook your main engine up to the 'kicker fuel tank'.

"...we're all in the same boat..."
Pat Anderson

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marty - the kicker tank is 3 gallons, and it is mixed gas and oil, while the main is plain gas, since the Johnson 40 is oil injected from an oil reservoir tank. I certainly could take the 6 gallon metal tank in the cockpit, or buy a plastic 6 gallon tank, as the metal tanks leave nasty rust rings on the cockpit floor. I do think that I would rather have 18 gallons instead of 12 for sure, and am thinking, depending on what we do, that 24 gallons would be even better. But Patty probably is happy with the 12 gallon tank, she is not interested in going as far or staying out as long in Crabby Lou as I am!
dotnmarty

City/Region: Sammamish
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: LIZZIE II
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a Moeller 20 gallon plastic tank that may fit. It measures 12.37 inches high by 15 inches wide and 28 inches long. It sells for about $150. You can find a picture in Overtons catalogue.
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat Anderson wrote:
.... But Patty probably is happy with the 12 gallon tank, she is not interested in going as far or staying out as long in Crabby Lou as I am!

Nice to have "his & hers" C-Dorys, eh? Patty can hang out in the mother-ship while you dash back and forth with the 16. Very Happy

Or, when you get on her nerves, you can go one way while she goes the other. Wink

marvin4239

City/Region: Jacksonville Florida/Wilmington NC
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-FLE II
Photos: C-FLE II
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used a 12 and a 6 gallon tank in my 16 and it took me about as far as I wanted to go between fuel stops. I think there would have been room between them for a 3. If you only use the kicker for emergency you could carry straight gas in the tank and add oil if you needed the kicker. Otherwise use the fuel in your main.
Alyssa Jean

City/Region: Guemes Is.(Anacortes)
Vessel Name: Alyssa Jean
Photos: Anna Leigh and Alyssa Jean
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 16 gal for the 40hp Johnson, straight gas with VRO oiler and a 6 gal mixed for the kicker. I am going to get rid of the VRO oiler and replace the gas/oil pump with a gas pump only and use mixed. Then I can use wither tank for either engine. I use almost exactly a gallon per hour on the 40HP. Hasn't mattered whether I am running around at 3500 RPM or 1500 RPm, or maybe I always just average out about the same. I can use my engine hours meter to tell me how much gas I have used and have left.

Alyssa Jean 16 Angler
Anna Leigh 22 Cruiser Sold 2005
Anna Leigh 25 Cruiser Sold 2014

K7KJR C-Brats #51
Larry H

City/Region: Tulalip,
C-Dory Year: 1991
Photos: Nancy H
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David,

Your 40 hp Johnson VRO motor (this applies to any VRO motor by Johnson or Evinrude) can run on pre-mix gas/oil by just capping off the VRO oil inlet on the motor pan. When the motor was new, Johnson supplied a rubber cap for the purpose. It was stored on a yellow plastic clip which is on the fuel line near the fuel pump.

A C-Brat since Nov 1, 2003
Ranger Tug 27 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2017 - 2022
Puget Trawler 37 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2006-2017
1991 22' Cruiser, 'Nancy H'--1991-2006
Pat Anderson

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Larry - when I get back to Fall City, I will look for this cap. I'll bet it is still there...Sounds like a better solution than changing the fuel pump out! I like the idea of running both the main and kicker off the same tanks, and I sure don't mind mixing the oil in the tanks!

Larry H wrote:
David,

Your 40 hp Johnson VRO motor (this applies to any VRO motor by Johnson or Evinrude) can run on pre-mix gas/oil by just capping off the VRO oil inlet on the motor pan. When the motor was new, Johnson supplied a rubber cap for the purpose. It was stored on a yellow plastic clip which is on the fuel line near the fuel pump.
Pat Anderson

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another question - does ~5.5 smpg sound about right for a Johnson 40 on a CD16? This was a combination of still water in sloughs, and against the current and with the current in the river, fast and slow speeds, so it should be a pretty good average of conditions...
Alyssa Jean

City/Region: Guemes Is.(Anacortes)
Vessel Name: Alyssa Jean
Photos: Anna Leigh and Alyssa Jean
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry, I am not changing out the pump just to change to mixed gas. I have been having an issue with what we have decided is the fuel pump not pumping up to snuff at higher RPMS so I am replacing the combo fuel pump with just the straight gas pump.
DaveS

City/Region: Arlington
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: CD16 Fuel Economy & Cruising Range Reply with quote

Pat Anderson wrote:
OK, Crabby Lou, On the recent Snohomish River cruise, we used 7 gallons over 39 statute miles, or ~5.5 smpg, with the 1991 oil injected Johnson 40 hp two stroke. Marty on Lizzy, a CD16 Cruiser, reported that he had used 6 gallons for the same cruise, and I ascribe the difference to the efficiency edge of the newer four stroke engines.

Pat, on the same trip "Sea Shift" burned 11.981 gals of fuel. (Twin Johnson 50's). I don't know if you took "Crabby Lou" up beyond Snohomish like we did or if you went down river past the launch ramp after the cruise like we did. That being said, if you didn't then perhaps I was able to log a few more miles in that cruise on that fuel burn thereby achieving a bit more than the 3.255 mpg.

FYI....on the former "Sea Shift" (16' Cruiser), I carried two 7 1/2 gal. fuel tanks and one 3 gal. fuel tank. (It had the 50 HP Honda 4 stroke).

I never felt the need for more fuel than that and most always adhered to the "1/3rd" rule....(1/3rd fuel capacity out, 1/3rd back and 1/3rd in reserve).

C-Brat #16
Larry H

City/Region: Tulalip,
C-Dory Year: 1991
Photos: Nancy H
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat,

A 40hp two stroke (carburated) outboard probably burns 4 gallons per hour if run at wide open throttle.

You didn't mention how many hours the trip took, but if you averaged 10 mph, thats 4 hours. Seven gallons over 4 hours is 1.75 gph. I think that is about right for part throttle operation.
Capn Jack

City/Region: La Conner
C-Dory Year: 1988
Vessel Name: Pocket Yacht
Photos: Pocket Yacht
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 5:36 pm    Post subject: Free VRO Tank & Loran-C Antenna + Module Reply with quote

I've got an Evinrude VRO tank, a Loran-C antenna and module for a Coastal Navigator Intigrator ST Free Xmas Eek to the first person that wants them and will pay the shipping from La Conner WA.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Fuel Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: